Just-In-Time Pumpkins

I planted the pumpkin seeds almost too late this year. Last year they sprouted too early (May) and they were ripe by August, whereupon they sat slowly drying out until pie-time at the end of November. So this year I decided to plant them later, but I procrastinated too long and got them into the ground only in the last week of July.

Here they are the last week of August:



By the beginning of October I had 4 pumpkins, but it was iffy as to whether or not they would ripen sufficiently before the plants died. The plants had begun their traditional mildewing and the stems were drying. The mildew never affects the pumpkins themselves, so I ignore it.



Thanks to a perfect warm October and early November, we managed a modest crop, enough for Thanksgiving pies. Last year I got about 30 pumpkins and couldn't use them all. Next year, I'll plant by mid-July.

I'm also going to look at an heirloom variety or two. The one we always plant, 'Small Sugar' has a fine texture, but little flavor. In the past, I've tried a "Buttercup" squash, but although the texture was velvety, the flavor was not much better and the yield was poor. I'd like something tastier--any suggestions?



All's well that ends well. Here's a good end: dessert and flowers!


Pie!




Rosa 'William Morris' (Austin, 1998)

Comments

  1. Pumpkin pie AND roses! Doesn't get much better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is old - really old - an you probably know by this time, but the reason for the lack of flavour is the mildew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, did not know that Socratic. Very interesting--how does leaf mildew affect the flavour? Reduced nutrients to the fruits?

      Delete
  3. I'm loving your blog. I stumbled across it as I was reading "Each Little World," a wonderful blog, but I was hoping was hoping to find one located in my part of the world. And I did! You even know what naked ladies are. I have already learned a bunch and I've just begun. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind, thank you! I agree Each Little World is wonderful. I suggest local to Southern California:

      AGrowingObsession.com
      krisp.blogspot.com
      succulentsandmore.com (northern ca but very applicable to farther south
      http://gardenbook-ks.blogspot.com/ (ditto, and gorgeous photography)

      They are all more interesting than mine, so you may not be back here. But that is okay. Enjoy!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.