Screen Complete/More Walk Around

I finished off the culvert screen with three 'Tasman Ruffles' Pittosporums.   Continuing the Syzygiums would have made more sense, but I wanted to try the Pitts.  Who ever said gardening has to make sense?  The plant in the green cylinder is a Star Jasmine (Tracheospermum jasminoides) and it is in the green cylinder so the rabbits won't eat it.  I was told to plant the 'Tasman Ruffles' on four-foot centers for a hedge.  Four feet center it is.     
Photobucket
Ligustrum in the foreground, growing well, then the Pitts, then the Syzygium.  
Photobucket
 If you heard a lot of loud cursing yesterday around 11 in the morning, that was me digging up and moving the lemon tree.  I had to make room for the Pittosporums.  It was a bear to move.  Then I had to protect the Lemon with shade cloth so it can recover.
Photobucket
To recover from the Lemon-moving ordeal, I walked around the yard.  Yesterday was a "cool" day--only topping out at around 78F (25 C).  It is supposed to warm up again starting tomorrow.  Some of the roses are as tired of heat as I am.
Photobucket
Others are happy.  'Perdita':
Photobucket
'Gold Medal' is intensely colored in bud, but fades quickly.
Photobucket
'Ambridge Rose':
Photobucket
Must sneak a Clematis in...
Photobucket
And Hemerocallis 'Daring Dilemma', which will bloom until Thanksgiving here. 
Photobucket
First-year 'Princess Alexandra Of Kent' worked hard at growing and blooming despite being a tiny own-root.  I'm impressed.
Photobucket
'Belinda's Dream' produced an odd heat-influenced flower, still beautiful:
Photobucket
'Abraham Darby' is in his full autumnal beauty.  It's his best season here. 
Photobucket
'Easy Does It', also intensely colored.  What is that on the stem?
Photobucket
Ah, a Mantis!  I've seen several this week.  Autumn seems to be their season here as well. 
Photobucket
Look at the eyeball.  She's watching me carefully...
Photobucket
I left her alone as darkness fell.  Had to get back into the house before the bats emerged.   She must have been glad to see me go.
Photobucket
When I got back inside, the puppies had ripped up the 80-page (or more) California Voters Guide which the state sends out before elections.  They were just starting to eat it.  I hadn't finished reading it.  Ah, puppies!  At least the toilet paper was undamaged. 

Comments

  1. How long until the hedge fills in -- are you talking 2 years, or 5? It's difficult to leave so much space between small plants, isn't it?

    Why the rush to get inside before the bats emerge? My wife and I love sitting on the deck watching bats fly overhead in the twilight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My guess is the Ligustrum will be full and dense within 2 years, but short. The Pitts will be tall, but not dense...

      The bats roost just inches from the back door of the house, and fly in a "U" shaped pattern when leaving and arriving, so I just like to be out of their way at those times.

      Delete
  2. Your roses are so amazing. I'm surprised they still bloom with the horrible heat you've dealt with this summer. All your work with that culvert will be worth it the next time you get a deluge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised about the roses too, Deanne. I think because they are so well established (12 years in the same spot, most of them) they can handle the heat.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a huge rose lover, but I have a very soft spot for Abraham Darby. The scent alone would do it, but the flower is just lovely, too. Yours looks pinker than I usually see. With the dry weather, we have had gorgeous, sustained rose bloom all over Portland this summer. If I would just water mine more, I might like them better.

    The puppies will just have to vote in your place...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Abe's not usually that pink.

      Dry weather does have some advantages...

      I don't think the puppies read the voter guide before they ate it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.