Two Boyfriends? Easy Does It!

Photobucket
Out early trying unsuccessfully to capture the morning fog, I saw more than one Mantis on the same rose.  
The object of their affections:
Photobucket 
By their far slimmer shape, I am assuming two potential boyfriends, one brown...
Photobucket
...one green...
Photobucket
...both understandably wary.  Courtship is often fatal for the male Mantis.  Note wary green boyfriend at extreme right:
Photobucket 
I left them to their fates, noting only that the name of the rose is, appropriately,  'Easy Does It'
Photobucket
 

Comments

  1. Never saw them before. Great captured Hoover.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great observation! I once saw a similar situation, but one that was a bit more advanced than yours: all three were shall we say "joined".

    I believe the female-eats-male-afterwards scenario has been shown to be quite uncommon. Only when food is not readily available will the male become some. At least I think that's the latest I heard (sometime in the last few years).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read that they have sensors in their hind legs that allow them to function without a head. Presumably not for long as they still have to eat :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.