What Is Your Best New Plant For 2013?

 photo pot0991_zps1e5001f5.jpg
What is your best new plant of the year 2013?  The one you got this spring, or last fall, that has amazed you with performance, beauty--even, perhaps, ease.  Here the award goes to Salvia 'Wendy's Wish', which arrived blooming, and is still blooming.  The hummingbirds love it, as do I.  A hard pruning a few weeks ago, and Wendy is refreshed and compact again, and blooming, blooming.
 photo pot0975_zps13a7a9e0.jpg
The Trachelium caeruleum I got last year did nothing last year.  A bit of it survived and did great this year, in full shade.  A runner up.  
 photo pot0990_zps9323b68d.jpg
Some super roses, but--they are always super. 
 photo pot0963_zpsc45a1d04.jpg
Best old plant of 2013, this Camellia, back from the dead.  I was forced to cut it to the ground in 2012 while redoing one section of the garden.  I expected it would die.  Nope.  All better! 
 photo pot0959_zps8b5f5cbd.jpg
My hope for Best New Plant of 2014?  We'll see how Azara microphylla does here.  I'm taking out the old-beyond-their-years Dodoneas and replacing them with the Pittosporum 'Tasman Ruffles' that are in too much shade.  The Azaras will go where the Pittos were.  Musical plants.  
 photo pot0942_zpsea6dc01d.jpg
So, what is your New Plant of the Year?  Your Old Plant?  Do tell!

Comments

  1. Neither of your standout plants are hardy here. :-( They're beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures of your Best Plants! My best plants of the year were my Delphiniums in their glory days, but these are always my best plants. My best new plants of this year were my self sown Coleus varieties. O no, my new rose "Heathcliff" was my very best new rose of the year!
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Delphiniums. I wish they were not just rather sickly annuals here. 'Heathcliff', I must look that one up. You have many beautiful roses.

      Delete
  3. Isn't that a little like asking which is your favorite child? With the expansion of our back border and the creation of new beds in the side yard, I've bought a lot of plants since last fall. Long-term performance may shift my POV but, at present, I'd say Coprosma repens 'Plum Hussy' has the lead with Prostanthera ovalifolia 'Variegata' a close 2nd. The recent purchases in the running for 2014 would probably be Agonis flexuosa 'Nana', Phormium 'Dark Delight', and Phormium 'Renegade'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Plum Hussy', have not seen that one. Must look these plants up. I have seen the Agonis, not the others.

      Delete
  4. My best new plant this year is Melianthus major 'Antonow's Blue'. Its silvery blue foliage is even more compelling than the M. major 'Purple Haze' that was formerly there, and it looks fabulous with bamboo and Tetrapanax leaves. Now I'm off to look up your Trachelium caeruleum - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, this post was a bad idea, all these new intriguing plants you all have mentioned...too tempting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.