Latest Acquisitions, Overwhelmed By Arid Lands

While in Arizona, we stopped at Arid Lands Greenhouses in Tucson.  
The Agave greenhouse
 I took only a few photos, suffering from major desirable plant overload--wow.  Wantthatwantthatwantthatwanteverything.  Do you ever find that the more cool plants a seller offers, the fewer you can buy, because you are overwhelmed by the possibilities? The proprietors were friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. 
The Aloe greenhouse:
 And cacti and caudiciforms and mesembs...all those Agaves, but I was too overwhelmed to pick out any.
The seed germination room.  The seeds are germinated at 100% humidity.  Damping off is prevented by fungicide spray as necessary, but spraying with 0-0-26 fertilizer has been found to be extremely effective.
The owners grow many plants from seed they collect themselves from mother plants in one special area of a greenhouse.  The blooming plants must be protected from hummingbirds to prevent hybrid seed from forming--hummingbirds are pollinators.  No plants are grown in the ground.  This is a drawback for the plants, but it is necessary for out-of-state sales, to prevent any soil borne pests that might be present from being exported to other locations. 

Clockwise, from top, what we got:  Aloe capitata var quartziticola, Aloe betsileensis, a tiny Aloe Aloidendron (thanks GB) pillansii(!), an Aloe tauri seedling.  


The rock-pot came from a rock shop in Quartzite, where we stopped briefly.   

Comments

  1. I felt exactly the same way when I visited last December. I actually took a lot of photos but I never found a good angle for a blog post. Because, like you, I was too overwhelmed. I should try, though, because Arid Lands does deserve to be promoted for their efforts to propagate plants that are critically endangered in their native habitats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember your post about that, and I was a little baffled at your reaction, but when I went there myself...I understood exactly what you meant!

      They are true plant lovers. We enjoyed talking with them and hope for a return visit. Maybe a second visit would not be so mind-boggling.

      Delete
  2. P.S. Love Aloe capitata var quartzicola and Aloe betsileensis. Among my favorite aloes. I don't think they had Aloidendron pillansii when I was there, otherwise I would have gotten one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the regular capitata, love it. My first quartzicola from a local garden center died soon after purchase; this one looks 100% healthier. Excited to have betsileensis, have not seen it for sale before. The pillansiis were very small--probably a new crop. He had some Agave albiopillosas and I didn't even look for them because of the overwhelm-ment.

      Delete
  3. Awesome and certainly overwhelming! I would love to grow any aloe from seed -- what fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite easy from seed, at least some of them are. I've done it myself and I am not much of a seed-starter. What is interesting is that they grow relatively large leaves before they grow the root system--the storage facility (leaves) before the root system.

      Delete
  4. What a great nursery. Yes, I feel a little overwhelmed when I visit a garden centre or nursery where there are many plants that I would like and disappointed when it comes to how few I can afford. Your new plants look very healthy and your rock-pot is lovely.
    xoxoxo ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prices were not expensive there...just so much choice. Not used to it!

      Delete
  5. Places like that completely overwhelm me but you made great selections!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These Arizona posts are killing me -- you should be getting a commission from the state, Arid Lands, the Desert Museum, the Desert Botanical Garden... I'm daydreaming of an itinerary based on your posts and the Hummingbird Festival in Sedona. (Summer of '16, maybe...) Thanks so much for these posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful place, Arizona. Hope you get there soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.