Tuesday, January 12, 2016
Fall Project 2015 #5
Above, Aloe thraskii
I'm still supposed to "take it easy" (not garden) until the retina doctor says, so Project progress has been slow.
I got more plants cleared out (carefully not pressuring eye, slowly, slowly) and rediscovered the edging that had become overgrown by Dymondia.
I moved (slowly) some patches of Dymondia to empty places, planted (slowly) the second 'Superb' Grevillea where a trio of roses used to be, and planted five 'Joe Hoak' rooted offsets along the wall, and three in the bed along the street where the first 'Superb' Grevillea is planted. (Yes, slowly! Not pressuring eye!)
Grevillea 'Superb' has a flower bud. It's moving faster than I am.
The Magnolia stellata 'Royal Star' must be moved while it is dormant. I'm currently thinking to put it near the pond, in an area that stays relatively moist. I adored the flowers when they bloomed last year. The flowers are not only beautiful, but beautifully fragrant as well.
So, that's what I've been doing while I await being able to garden again.
Every bucket, tub, barrel and jug we own is full of rain collected last week, so all newly placed plants have been watered in with stored rain. This week unfortunately is proving dry, as is the forecast for next week. On the positive side, Northern California is expected to get more rain soon--that's something.
It's been an entire month since the last post on Fall Project 2015, and now its Winter, not Fall, '16, not '15. The eye problem and holidays delayed work I hope will be soon completed.