Bloom Day March 2017/Wednesday Vignette

Above,  Rosa 'Moondance'
 Lots of flowers, but I'll keep it short to avoid testing your patience.  
When the weather allows 'Twilight Zone' to be its best, oh is it good!
Iochroma 'Royal Purple' blooms most of the year, although it is most frequented by the hummingbirds in summer.  This photo just seemed particularly pretty. 
 The highlight of March is Leucospermum 'Yellow Bird':
 Purple Limonium perezii and orange Aloe striata complement The Bird.  Call this Wednesday's Vignette:


Sweet peas!
 New Hellebore, 'Penny's Pink'.  I wonder how it will do here without a winter's chill.  The garden has been home to a plain white Hellebore and its plain white seedlings for six or seven years.  'Penny' is more exotic.  
 The plain one:

Rhodanthemum hosmariense aka Pyrethropsis hosmarienseOne in focus, one behind and out of focus.  One of these is the species, and one is the selection called 'Casablanca'.  I disremember which is which.  I've had the species for a dozen years at least.  A long lived, beautiful, tough short ground cover that spreads only very, very slowly.  I can't think of anything bad to say about it. 
This might be the 'Casablanca' selection.  The flowers are a little bigger and a little whiter.
  New purchase Leucadendron, 'Cloudbank Ginny'.  Couldn't say "no". 
I close with the classic end-of-winter California wildflower, far easier to grow than it is to spell.  Eschscholzia californica.  
Happy Bloom Day!

Comments

  1. That is a fab vignette! I hope your new Hellebore thrives. My California poppies are still just tiny seedlings, barely an inch tall, but they carpet whole areas. Looking forward to those flowers. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is going to be one spectacular poppy carpet! Please do show some photos when the bloom commences.

      Delete
  2. Leucospermum 'Yellow Bird' Is still stealing the show for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Penny's Pink' is the most robust hellebore I have and if memory serves Kris has been successful with its stable mate 'Anna's Red'. Hope it does well for you, I love hellebores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hellebores, too. For some reason they are not common (though not unknown) here.

      Delete
  4. I'm not a huge rose fan, but those first two pictures gave me a sudden craving for them. Maybe because by the time roses bloom here, it will be warmer and drier. Your Wednesday Vignette is great, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rose fragrance is a big thing for me. May you get some warmer and drier, and may we get a little more cool and damp!

      Delete
  5. My Iochroma may or may not be dead-one needs to wait til about April here for the diagnosis. And that Yellow Bird, oh my !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Iochroma is very subtropical in vibe which is not my vibe. But it has virtues.

      Delete
  6. 'Cloudbank Ginny' is lovely! (Did you find it at Village?) No roses for me as yet - I discovered that the warm temps brought out hungry aphids so I've been busy treating those. My Pyrethropsis are also going strong but only one pink-flowered sweet pea plant has bloomed this far. However, I do have some California poppies at last! As to 'Yellow Bird' - *SIGH*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, 'Ginny' is from Armstrong's. I think the similar 'Pom Pom' is better, but I came, I saw, I purchased, ya know?

      Poppies! Sweet Peas! Enjoy!

      Delete
  7. You have so much in bloom. It is difficult to choose a favorite. I do like roses though. Mainly because I can't seem to grow them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.