Another Gorgeous Day, Unfortunately

Another pruning bouquet above.  ('Wildfire', 'Brass Band', 'Molineux' and 'Julia Child')

Pruning continued on a gorgeous 78F (25C) day.  Rain would be better, of course, but might as well enjoy the gorgeous.  I also moved some plants around.  Moved 'Cinco de Mayo' here because it wasn't worthy of the prime spot it had been in.  Nice flowers, but not a lot of them, and the plant itself was not overly attractive. 
Of course complications ensued--there's an irrigation pipe right where it should not be.  I broke it planting 'Cinco', and digging out 'Cinco', I broke it again.  Purple line is how the pipe ran,  pink circle around the broken pipe.  I'm going to move it so this doesn't happen again.  Stupid place for an irrigation pipe!
Planted a dozen Liatris spicata tubers, roughly where the red circle is in the next photo.  I had Liatris for several years back in the 00s, and it was a nice summer (I think) bloomer.  Gophers got the tubers eventually.  Time to try again.
Also planted some 'Texas Supreme' onion seedlings.  Onions in winter in California are ridiculously easy.  Plant, make sure they get water, and harvest in a few months. 
I bought three more new roses.  'Top Gun' (dislike the name) will get 'Cinco de Mayo's spot.  'Barrone de Rothschild' will go...somewhere.  'Apricots n Cream' replaced the Salvia 'Waverly'.  Two pieces of 'Waverly' looked good enough to transplant elsewhere. 
Rose planted, then watered, protected with fencing against rabbits, and shade cloth against the sun. 
One of the 'Waverly's here on the other side of the wall, where the hummingbirds can enjoy the flowers, should the plant survive.
Removed 'Golden Buddha' rose which I did like, but it felt like time for a change--I moved 'Home Run' from the shade of the Oak tree to 'Golden Buddha's spot.  I supposed I could retrieve 'Golden' from the green waste bin and try it in the gully next to 'Cinco de Mayo'...
Agave bovicornuta would fit into 'Home Run's old spot, as it needs some shade to preserve its distinct green color.
 While walking back and forth and back and forth pruning and moving plants there was good stuff to look at.  Grevillea 'Kings Fire' opened another flower.  From this angle the flower looks like some sort of crazy duck.

 Leucospermum 'Tango' flowers are opening--they open a day-glow orange that stuns the eyes. 
 I tried and tried to get all the flower stems on Echeveria coccinea into the frame, but got only about half of them.  Quite a show!
 Leucadendron 'Reverse Polarity' doing that stained-glass-window thing that Leucadendrons do.
 Not bad in this light, either.
 Lots of flowers open now on the white Aloe ferox.  Bees were happy.
 The recent rain brought forth a Sprekelia flower. 
 Eremophila hygrophana 'Blue Bells' flowers remind me of Penstemons, which have (in this garden) an unbroken string of dying almost immediately after planting.  Eremophilas are growing and blooming.  The heck with Penstemons!
 Another flower from 'The Prince' opens as the old one falls apart.  Delicious plummy color. 
 'Red Intuition'
 'Belinda's Dream' is excellent in a dry winter here. 
 So is 'Windermere'. 
Another gorgeous day in January.  Might as well enjoy. 

Comments

  1. Last night, the wind-driven heavy rain slapping against the windows woke me up. Sure wish we could send some of it your way. You have sure been busy perfecting Eden on such a beautiful day. All those gorgeous blooms...swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there's another eremophila I need. So true about a replacement for penstemons, which grow fine for me but are consistently ruined by budworms. Little shrubs are my new fav. All your rose shifting brings back memories! And such gorgeous weather for the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very, very pretty Eremophila. Recommended!

      Hopefully good memories.

      Delete
  3. Your earlier pruning report prompted me to get moving. I just have my climbing 'Joseph's Coat' and one rose in a pot left but then I started out with a tiny fraction of your count. It must be hard to cut them back when they've got such glorious blooms (I didn't face that issue) but I imagine your freshly painted interior is replete with flower-filled vases. Enjoy the day! My fingers are crossed we get a bit more than the paltry rain predicted for tonight and tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the kitchen table is full of vases full of roses. That's not such a bad thing. Did enjoy the day. Not expecting a single drop of rain--using what is in my barrels to water in the transplants and new plants. I hope your area gets some.

      Delete
  4. Bummer about the irrigation pipe. The Prince has almost the same scrumptious color that a rose I have called Twilight Zone, does. It's not doing as well as I'd like it to - too little sun, I presume. That Echeveria is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Twilight Zone' is not a strong grower here either--neither is 'Ebb Tide'. Pretty flowers, but weak plants. :(

      Delete
  5. You have many flowers I am not familiar with that are so pretty. I am sure most wouldn't grow in my zone 6 garden. But those roses. Gorgeous. I love standard roses. I would love to try to grow one but I am afraid we would have a winter like the one we are having this year and it wouldn't survive. Bad luck hitting the irrigation line. I don't have luck with Liatrus. I love the look it gives the garden. I don't know what happens to it but seeing that you are trying again I might do the same this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a beautiful weeping standard rose of Renae for quite a long time, but it went into severe decline due to crown gall, so it's gone.

      Someone was selling a supposedly extremely cane-hardy (4A) standard called 'Polar Joy'--heard of that one? you could try searching on the name and see if it is still being sold.

      The Liatris tubers were there at the garden center freshly arrived, so it was destiny. ;^) We'll see if they like the spot they got.

      Delete
  6. That Red Intuition is gorgeous and so unusual! Every year, I forget that I want RI and then remember, too late. As far as I know, Palatine Roses is the only one that carries it and it’s always sold out when I look. Do you know if someone else carries it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My RI was a gift, (lucky!). Helpmefind.com lists Cool Roses in FL; that would be on fortuniana rootstock. Maybe try Roses Unlimited in NC? They seem to have everything, though it might be a wait.

      Delete
  7. HB, That rose "red intuition" is GORGEOUS! and so is 'Windermere' it has the light peach color I love on roses!I see you are working a lot in the garden lately! This makes me a tad jealous because with the insane heat days we are having I feel totally depleted and numb: heat depresses me physically and mentally. Except for the roses which need me to survive I neglect the garden (all the other plants can live on rain alone and without my care ) and spend almost all the time inside the house with the air conditioner on....I have to endure this till march/april, meanwhile I will enjoy your dreamy roses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here winter is our prime time for gardening. I can be outdoors all day and not get overheated. 'Windermere' has a wonderful fragrance, too. It's not just pretty to look at.

      During summer I too sit in the house bored and depressed, waiting for summer to be over!

      I hope cool weather comes sooner than expected for you this year, (and that cool weather lingers here). Wouldn't that be lovely?

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Beautiful.
    I wish I could say I've been as busy but gorgeous days are still a way off for us. I did get a nice laugh out of seeing your onion patch all planted out... except for one agave(?) which snuck in. I do exactly the same, but usually it's a stray tulip or daffodil which sneaks in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Divine roses, hope you get rain soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss my striped roses, but not worth battling with them here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.