Buy More Than One, Follow Up

An alert reader correctly points out that David Austin recommends planting his cultivars in groups of three or even five for the fullest, lushest possible look.

After growing Austin roses now for about 15 years, I quite agree, for certain cultivars. In this mild-winter climate it is unnecessary, possibly even unwise to plant a group of Austins, when many of the Austin varieties grow huge and lush as a single plant.

While small varieties like 'The Prince', 'Jubilee Celebration', or 'Fair Bianca' are perfect here for planting as a group, others, such as 'Mary Rose' or even 'Tamora' are impressive by themselves. Here's one plant of 'Mary Rose' and one of 'Tamora', lush and full, though just half leafed out:




Spring is imminent. The lizards are out and about again, but because of still relatively cold nights, they're sluggish. This morning I saw an Alligator lizard, possibly Elgaria multicarinata, sunning himself on warm concrete in order to get moving. He glared at me but was too cold to scurry off, so I was able to get a decent look at him.





By summer you see a few minus their tails, which they are ready to sacrifice in order to escape predators. But in Spring, they are whole.

Comments

  1. I love Austin roses but don't have a single one, yet! My gardens are in MI zone 6. My gardens were a 5 but moved up a zone according to the new zone maps, yay! I look forward to the day I start putting in Austin roses. His catalog is a dream maker.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.