Serpent In Paradise: The Ugly Part Of Eden

Rosa 'Marilyn Monroe', not part of the ugly part:
Photobucket

I'm the only one, I'm sure, that has an ugly and neglected area in the garden.  Of course I'd better blog about it, so other gardeners can appreciate the vexation and frustration of a green and growing disaster. 

Epilobium canum latifolium, formerly Zauchsneria californica, not part of the ugly part:
Photobucket

Here's the ugly part:
Photobucket

You may be able to tell I'm starting to head back this overgrown Prunus hedge.   No, really--I'm not joking:
Photobucket

Or you may not be able to tell.  I need the heading-back practice, and that hedge will make me an expert.  The mess is not totally my fault.  A neighbor's filthy Eucalyptus globulous, hacked, crooked, misshapen, hangs over this part of Eden and rains crap down upon it.  Another neighbor's highly inappropriate Ficus, planted inches from the property line, (thanks a lot!) is also engulfing what I lovingly and foolishly planted.
Photobucket

Once upon a time there was sun and no rain of Eucalyptus crap.  I had planted Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum',  a chartreuse Coleonema, a chartruse Duranta, Salvia leucantha, Karl Foester grass...all kinds of good stuff. 
Photobucket

Photobucket

Now it is all too shaded, and I fear the Ficus roots are spreading everywhere.  Ficus roots below, Eucalyptus crap above:  Hell on earth.
Photobucket

Back in the extreme corner is our own Eucalyptus stump I've been trying to kill off for 11 years.  It was once a misshapen, hacked Eucalyptus tree that we cut down.  Yes!  We cut the miserable thing down! And proud of it!  Beyond the fence is a large drain from the uphill neighbor's property that floods the area when it rains and carries a lot of soil away. 
Photobucket

I put the black plastic bag over part of the stump to try to rot it faster.  I killed this other one; I will yet triumph over the Serpent in Paradise!
Photobucket

I rescued these poor starved scraps from the heart of the darkness, starved for light and attention and moisture. 
Photobucket

But no one really wants to see the ugly part of Eden, do they?  Back to "reality"...
Photobucket

Photobucket

How I do hate Eucalyptus globulous and Ficus benjamina.  Serpents in paradise. 

Comments