The Last Aloe Of Spring

Excepting the Aloes that bloom the year round, the last Aloe to bloom of their season, which for me starts with the early fall blooms of Aloe arborescens, peaks in winter with the glories of marlothii and ferox, and finishes up about now.  The Aloes will take a back seat for the summer.  It was a wonderful year for Aloes.  I'm not sure what this one is, probably a cross of some sort.  
Photobucket
In a few weeks, Aloe cross-of-some-sort will be swallowed up by Tagetes lemonii, just starting its spring round of bloom.  Soon the Tagetes will be a solid sheet of glowing yellow. 
Photobucket
Ferox is looking fabulous, building strength for next winter's bloom.  It's about 4'x4', looking so grand and powerful.  I'm thrilled with it.
Photobucket
This Iris bloom is about the last of them for this spring.  Every other Iris is blooming or bloomed out.  I was baffled when this one opened.  I moved it from the veggie garden thinking it was 'Silent Patriot':  nope.  It took me a while to realize that its one of the plants original to the garden that the landscapers put in 12 years ago.  It bloomed the first year, and never bloomed again, until I moved it.  Sat there doing nothing for 11 years, and now this.  
Photobucket
That's kind of a cool surprise.  I love it when plants fool me. 
Photobucket
'Perle d'Azur' is moving into full bloom mode now.  A garden event I look forward to every year.  Lord. I love that color! 
Photobucket
Backlit, the flowers look like stained glass.  That little hint of magenta striping in the blue, ah!  Oooh! 
Photobucket 
On a day like today, I just love plants. 

Comments

  1. I swear I could smell that Iris! (lovely)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous of your aloes. The ferox is a stunning plant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous clematis! I love clematis and wait all winter for them to bloom. :o) Awesome that you didn't get rid of the iris that never bloomed. Cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Aloe ferox is one handsome dude. The hunky rounded bases of those arms are just fabulous. I see exactly why you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taking time to admire one's garden is a delicious pleasure. Thx for visiting my blog. I have two days in Pasadena-any must see gardens?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your aloe does look fine and mighty. I commented on your fabulous bloom day post but doubt it came through. That widget with the squiggly letters foils me time and time again, so hoping this one gets through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @danger, yes, it has a sweet fragrance!

    @Spiky, you have some beautiful plants I am jealous of, so we are even.

    @Casa M, I wait all year for the Clems, too.

    @Mulch Maid, that ferox is so pristine, no brown spots, no marks...in other words a perfect complexion. It does no wrong.

    @Susan thanks for stopping by, and enjoy Pasadena.

    @Denise, I'm squiggly-letter challenged myself, a lot of my comments never make it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Few plants send into zone envy like a flowering aloe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.