Dioons n' Things

So, because of the small barbs on the leaf margins, this is not D. edule?  (I'm asking). D. spinulosum is the guess.  
Photobucket
A neighbor graciously invited me over to see what was going on in her garden.  I left the puppies, ever alert, to guard the house:
Photobucket
I stopped to get a shot of another neighbor's Dypsis decaryi, 
Photobucket

Photobucket

Arriving at the garden, I was able to inspect  and admire a blooming Dioon.  
Photobucket
The cone was soft and fuzzy/papery:
Photobucket
The newest foliage had a tomentose appearance as well:
Photobucket
The older foliage loses the silvery texture.
Photobucket
I've been thinking lately about adding a Dioon or Zamia to the garden.  They look great with Agaves and Aloes.  
Photobucket



Photobucket

Speaking of Agaves, nearby was a beautiful 'Mr Ripple'.  Oooh!
Photobucket
On down the path was a 10'+ (3 M+) Pachypodium, a magnificent specimen.  Why did I not get a shot of the whole thing?  Well the lighting was difficult.  Instead I focused on the orderly arrangement of thorns.  There were three thorns in each cluster that created two thorn-shadows, making five shapes total.
Photobucket
Ooooh!
A bromeliad with spent blooms, though still amazing color:
Photobucket
Photobucket
A crow sculpture to crown the wall:
Photobucket
And a free Agave offset.  Thanks, neighbor!!!
Photobucket
On the way home, a Phormium by the side of the road, with Salvia leucantha and a Tea rose named 'Monsieur Tillier'...
Photobucket
When I got back, the puppies were in their same hyper-alert, vigilent state:
Photobucket     
   

Comments

  1. I agree cycads and agaves go great together. What good selection of plants they have. Is the pup a Mr ripple?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, wonderful garden, and yes, Young Master Ripple. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of my old friends here. When I bought my triangle palm it was a neodypsis -- now I see it's just a dypsis. Hello, Mr. Ripple! And the late departed Monsier Tillier -- I fondly remember his strong pink/burnished coppery tones. What a fun garden to visit. I haven't been bit by the cycad bug yet, thankfully. I imagine we'll be seeing some puppy action photos when the weather cools?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great plants, but the puppies get the prize for being the most photogenic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing as comforting as the sense of security one has knowing that his domicile is being guarded by such fearsome beasts. Great plants, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.