Because I Missed Them

 Above:  'Beloved'

The roses were ruined all summer by Chili Thrips.  Since mid-October they've bounced back.  I'm so happy to see them again.  I missed them.   

I also missed this ruffly Echeveria, which disappeared under a Grevillea for a few months. 
 Mostly though I missed the roses:  their saturated color, their wonderful perfume.  
'Comtesse de Provence'
 'Young Lycidas'
 This late in the year, with less daylight, a bonus:  their colors are richer then they are during the long days of summer. 
'Lady Emma Hamilton'
 'Wildfire' looked dreadful all summer.  Back to her splendid beauty now.
 And...three Leucospermum seedlings have appeared!  They came up where I planted seeds, two where seeds were planted several months ago, and one from another set of seeds planted only six weeks ago, seeds from the 'Yellow Bird' that bloomed so wonderfully this past spring.  

 The seedlings resemble no weeds I can think of, and the thickness and stiffness of the seed leaves hints at Leucospermum.  I'm not much of a grower-from-seeds.  Success with these might turn me into one.  

Comments

  1. It's fantastic to see how gorgeous your roses are at the moment. I can understand how you missed theire beauty during the summer. No problems with insects in my little garden but always problems with the rain during the flowering season.
    Have a wonderful day Hoover Boo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain, we don't get a lot of that here. I'm glad you liked the pictures, and I hope your day was lovely too, rain or not. :)

      Delete
  2. You are lucky to have some Leucospermum seedlings in your garden, congratulations. Your roses look wonderful now, I like the vivid colours. They are all unknown to me, except Lady Emma Hamilton, also one of my treasures but is now in rest here until May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now must help the little seedlings grow, and protect them. We shall see what happens.

      'Lady Emma' is at her best now, in cooler weather. The color is wonderful, and so is the fragrance. Indeed, she is a treasure!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad the thrips have taken a hike, allowing you to enjoy your beautiful roses once again. And Leucospermum seedlings - WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that your roses recovered from the Chili Thrips attacks! They look splendid right now. I love especially 'Young Lycidas' and 'Lady Emma Hamilton'.
    Thankfully the Chili Thrips never found their way into my garden, at least this year. Nonetheless I am also enjoying the last roses of the year very much. I have a few Tea roses (Le Vesus, Georgetown Tea and Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux), which are at there very best at this time of the year. Simply wonderful!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you had a great rose year, Christina. I think I appreciate mine more now, because I had to go without them for so many months.

      Happy gardening, enjoy your beautiful Teas for me! :)

      Delete
  5. They are so beautiful. It is sad to see them go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phillip! There's nothing else quite like a rose.

      Delete
  6. Glad they sprang back after an elusive summer! Wish the photos were scratch 'n' sniff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore Agaves, Aloes, Leucospermums, on and on...but they lack the magical, pure perfume of a rose.

      Delete
  7. On this snowy day, your roses give me a lift.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.