Plants I've Been Unable To Kill (Not Including Bermuda Grass)

I did a previous post about plants I've killed, so I need to add one about plants I've been unable to kill, despite sincere and diligent effort. The following are all plants I've carefully pulled out of an area, only to have them come back the following spring as if I'd tended them with loving care. 

There's nothing wrong with this Dahlia.  It is simply too vigorous for its location.   That and mildew.
Dahlia

Campanula poscharskyana, The Evil One.  It forms a mass of roots and foliage so thick it strangles everything nearby.  And it grows so fast and spreads so wide, everything is suddenly nearby.  It's like a pretty version of Bermuda grass, with higher water requirements.  I am told it is only an aggressive thug in my garden, that in the rest of the entire planet, it's meek and beautiful.  Okay, but I don't garden in the entire rest of the planet.  I garden here, where it's a thug.

Campanula poscharskyana, robbing  water and nutrients from rose  'Eugene de Beauharnais'
Campanula poscharskyana

Rudbeckia, oddly enough.  Some people say they can't grow them in Southern California  I can't get rid of mine. 
Rudbeckia

Not that it isn't beautiful.  However I fear for the health of my 'Brass Band' rose.
Rudbeckia hirta trio

This species Coreopsis, not half as pretty as 'Early Sunrise', nor one tenth as bloomy, but much tougher.

Emerging yet again, and fighting it out with alyssum amidst fallen rose  petals:
Coreopsis species

This red Gaillardia that might be 'Burgundy'.   I adore 'Arizona Sunrise'.  I adore 'Fanfare'.  Can't say a bad thing about 'Arizona Sunrise' or 'Fanfare'.   But this red one spreads like crazy.  I dig it out, and it comes right back, even in completely unirrigated areas.  Zero water!  Even the Agaves need more water than this one.  If only 'Fanfare' would behave like this.   But of course it doesn't.

Gaillardia, rampant:
Gaillardia rampant
 
Salvia 'Black and Blue'.  I spent a tedious and muddy week this winter carefully pulling out every single bit of it.  I ended  up with an entire 33 gallon trash barrel full of stems, roots and tubers.  Now it's July and that winter week was obviously a waste of time.  Doubly evil, because the flowers are gorgeous.  But it's killing my 'Peace' rose.

Salvia 'Black And Blue', invading a day lily.  Plant at your peril!
Salvia 'Black And Blue' 

Cross my fingers, and hope I haven't jinxed myself, but the rabbits have apparently killed off the small but pesky bits of Bermuda grass on the slopes, simply by eating it to the ground every time it appears.  Maybe rabbits are not so bad after all--No--they are that bad.  Although I'm grateful they're eating the Bermuda, I'm still cheering for the coyotes.

You may not agree about the thuggishness of  these plants.  But can we all agree about Bermuda grass?  Or at least, that 'William Morris' is looking decent.

Rosa 'William Morris':
Rosa 'William Morris'

Succession Planting for Year-Round PleasureThe Well-tempered GardenChristopher Lloyd: His Life at Great DixterExotic Planting for Adventurous Gardeners

Comments