Adenanthos cuneatus 'Coral Drift' 2011

Photobucket

I didn't buy it only because it was cool (though it is);  I have an empty dry spot up on the slope just the size for this plant, and the Adenanthos was 30% off.  It's not an indulgence, it's destiny!

Photobucket

I once had another Adenanthos, Adenanthos sericeus, which I killed it some years ago.  I still feel bad about that because it was a gorgeous plant, looking rather like a shrubby conifer fashioned from silvery greeny silk.  My guess:  not enough water.  at that time, my definition of "low water needs" was decidedly more extreme than the acceptable definition of "low water needs".  Adenanthos sericeus is a plant endemic to dry areas of Australia, but to coastal areas.  Meaning it undoubtedly needed more water than I ever gave it, which was none.  My bad. 

There was, at least a few years ago, a spectacular Adenanthos seiceus planted at the Long Beach aquarium, outdoors on the way to the sea lion tank.  Now that I consider it, that location--right off the ocean--must have been ideal for the Adenanthos.  No wonder it was thriving there.   That specimen prompted me to buy my own, which I then let die of thirst.  (I pause for a moment to cringe.) 

Photobucket

While meeting my 30% off destiny, my chance at reconciliation with the genus Adenanthos, I once again had to ogle this Agave I cannot identify 'Mr Ripple', which has grown rapidly in the mild luxury of Roger's Corona del Mar location.  Another silvery beauty.

Photobucket

Now, to plant the Adenanthos.  This one, I will water.

Comments

  1. Beautiful! I also love the Ketchup and Mustard Rose! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one of the plants highlighted at the San Marcos talk! What a score! And believe it or not, my youngest has volunteered at the LB aquarium for years, I've been comped lots of visits, but never noticed any plants so rare. (P.S. I had a feeling Hoover was up in years. Thanks for letting me know. 16 is an amazing amount of years for such a big dog. Our newf mix Toby made it to 13. Beloved beasts, every one.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty cool score, eh? See if that Adenanthos is still there next you are at the Aquarium. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.