Bats, Invasion, Twelve Days, Bats

In the morning just before sunrise I take the puppies out for their morning piddle.  Sometimes I'm early enough to see the bats returning to roost in the patio's recessed lights.  The lights are starting to pop out.  I think the resident bats are bringing home friends (no Christian Bale, though).  Must order that bat house...
Photobucket
Yesterday after the morning routine of puppy care and so forth, I checked the bulbils, twelve days after planting.  They look good.  
Photobucket
Tugged on many of them, all resisted!  Dug one out...
Photobucket
Roots!  Cool!  That didn't take long.
Photobucket
I planted all these a few days after the first batch.  Quite a few of them variegated.  Not tested for roots--I'll check next week.
Photobucket

Then we got invaded by Edison trucks.  The street's transformer was leaking oil and in danger of exploding.   Aloes still blooming...
Photobucket
The environmental clean up guys arrived to remove the transformer oil.  When they saw the transformer, they all started to laugh.  I don't know why.  Neighbor's Abelia and Bougainvillea there, trimmed into globes and loafs:
Photobucket
Crepe myrtle.  One of the electrical guys got into his crane-bucket and shut the power off to the entire street.  Nothing to do now but garden in between bouts of puppy care and wait.  It happened to be the coolest day we've had in weeks.  It was such a relief and joy to be back out in the garden. 
Photobucket
Roses while they set up their crane:
Photobucket
Jacaranda tree snuck in with the crane:
Photobucket
New transformer being prepared, and the neighbor's Phormium tenax:
Photobucket
They set the crane stabilizer right next to my Calandrinia, and squashed a bit of it.  
Photobucket
I picked figs while the environmental guys cleaned up the oil.  
Photobucket
The electrical guys relaxed and watched the environmental clean-up guys clean up the leaking oil and drain the old transformer.  One of the electrical guys walked off to have a loud argument with his wife over an iPhone.  By the time the environmental guys were done the sun was beginning to set.  I sat in the deepening darkness watching the bats flitter off for their night of bug hunting, then joined neighbors and Beloved on the street to watch the electrical guys work and wait the power to come back on.  Finally it did.  

The bats of course slept the whole day.  I have no idea how to get a photo of them in the dark. 
Photobucket

Comments

  1. Some serious machinery there. And those bats must have looked great when they passed by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I always get so nervous when any of the hard hat set get anywhere near my gardens, They usually leave damage behind.

    I love bats but am glad I don't have any in my house. They can be a real problem but are so valuable to the balance of things. I love watching them flit around after dark.

    I'm over the moon impressed with your fabulous rooting bulbils. And so many variegated ones! Wowzer... A super abundance of gorgeous babies. love it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.