Greater Effort

 Much greater effort this spring than in years past.  I've been moving plants long languishing, to give them a better chance to prosper.  During our long drought, it was no use moving something that would struggle to re-establish or die in one of the heat waves that seemed to come one after another.  Another important factor: the endless heat waves kept the unhappy gardener in the house out of the heat.  
Salvia nemerosa 'East Friesland' pre-effort:
I've had little Salvia nemerosa 'East Friesland' since starting this garden seventeen years ago.  A Salvia not usually recommended for Southern California, it has always thrived in our fluffy soil. It's been split into pieces over the years and is growing in several areas.  

This particular plant was down to a couple of leaves and a bit of root system, having been accidentally stepped on several times as well as being shaded out by several other plants.  I thought it would die, but encouraged by a rainy winter moved it, and gave it fertilizer and extra water after the rains ceased.  It looks as it did seventeen years ago.  
What effort did:
 I made extra effort, too, in adding the right plants to empty places.  Details make a garden better--visitors stop and study what's there.  

Let's move the 'Spider's Web' Fatsia off the patio and into the Acer palmatum's planting bed near the Begonia.  The humidity is higher there, better for the Fatsia.  It fills an empty space.  The foliage contrast is interesting.  A support for the Begonia that is growing because it got rain and fertilizer.  Duh!  Better!  I may finally be getting the hang of this gardening thing. 
Roses moved to better places in hopes they would be happier. Souvenir de la Malmaison moved last fall covers the bare base of the rose behind it.  It looks happier.  Double good.  
 Moved this spring:  Abraham Darby, Princess Alexandra Of Kent, Climbing Iceberg, The Prince.  
I hope you like this spot better
 A great effort to get plant purchases into the ground.  The trio of Joy Creek Clematis are planted and growing.


The winter rain enabled long-established Clematis to make their own sort of effort this spring. 

I made a great effort last spring nurturing a tiny rooted Clematis cutting through a hot dry summer.  Planted in the ground a few months ago, it's still a frail plant, but it's alive and growing!
 Iris moved, given fertilizer, blooming again.  
 Little corners filled.  Sprinkler heads moved a few inches to eliminate a bit of over spray onto pavement--it took hours and lots of swear words.  
Details, details, take effort, effort.
More drip lines and less sprinkler heads to get water right to the roots.  Effort, effort.  Dirty knees.  Elbows hurt.
Extra fertilizer doses made the Trachelospermum better!
Effort to understand and better place the right flower colors together.  
That orange Salvia doesn't work with Tecoma 'Sparky'.  Yikes.  
Effort to make foliage coordinate, too.
The bronzy new foliage of Leucadendron 'Reverse Polarity' agrees with Kalanchoe orgyalis.  I won't have to move anything here.  Whew!
  Not all effort is a success.  Moving Leucospermum 'High Gold' ruined the plant.  I am hoping it will push out new growth to cover up the burnt mess.  At least there are seedlings that can replace it if not--yes, seedlings!  Effort there too.
Getting taller!
 Effort goes too far--wake up at 2am thinking what to do next--but effort in a garden...is as visible as a bright pink rose.

Comments

  1. You've been busy! You have me considering adding to my Clematis collection. (I have one.) I wish I'd done more moving - and more planting - during the height of our rainy season. Seedlings I planted in April when the heat soared and the winds were roaring didn't fare well. Fingers are crossed we get rain Saturday night or Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was moving all through the winter, and still didn't get finished. So much delayed because of the blankety-blank drought.

      Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. It's great to see how well your garden is doing Hoover Boo. I love your clematisis. I also have
    to replant certain roses in my garden. But I have to wait untill autumn. Overhere the garden is on a natural break because of the cold temperatures. 8C is not normal for us to have in spring. But today 18C is forcasted.
    Have a wonderful weekend ahead.
    Rosehugs
    Marijke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8C is mostly how cold it gets here in the winter, overnight. Autumn is best to move roses here as well. I did not get finished in autumn, too much to do.

      Have a rosy weekend, Marijke.

      Delete
  3. I think you got the hang of this gardening thing a long time ago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I start to think so, then I see a super fabulous garden and think "not yet".

      Delete
  4. And I'm complaining about the time it will take me to pull all the weeds following our also-moist winter. Yours' is more work. But moved iris grew and flowered again? I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many weeds--mulch helps. I see I didn't express something well--the iris were moved last...August, I think giving them time to reroot before blooming again this spring. They didn't bloom, get moved, and bloom again the same spring.

      Delete
  5. Adequate rainfall makes everything better. Ample rainfall can get a bit overwhelming. I'm glad the drought ending has allowed you to make some needed changes. I have that salvia, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you grow your clematis in the wire column. You have given me an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmm my iris are offended. Alive and growing, but no flowers. Will have to add them to the feed and water routine.
    Will be planting wild clematis to cover the rain water tank - shady end of our house - should be happy there.

    I do like the fresh new look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd say you got the hang of it some time ago but, YES, the elbow grease is sure paying off.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.