Bloom Day July 2018


Rose 'Laguna' 
Hot weather is reducing flowering and damaging what flowers do appear, but there are still many to enjoy this July.
Rose 'Ascot'
 Dahlia 'Color Spectacle'
Eustoma hybrid
  Rose 'Comtesse de Provence'
 Rose 'Drop Dead Red',  Daylilys,  and Lagerstroemia 'Ebony Fire'
 California native Eriogonum fasciculatum var. foliolosum.  As the flowers age, they turn pink, then dry to brown. 
 Unknown Dahlia
 Aeonium nobile.  Impressive!
 Hummannia fumarifolia
Zinnias!  I grew some from seed--does that mean I'm a real gardener now?   

 Though past their late spring peak, there are still lots of Daylilys.
 The Garvinea Gerberas are doing very well--exceeding expectations.
'Sweet Surprise' is aptly named:
 Annie's Annuals had high praise for Abutilon 'Victor Reiter', and I see why.  More than a dozen flowers and buds on a 12 inch plant that arrived here a few weeks ago as a four inch plant. 
 The Erica verticillata I bought as an experiment has grown and flowered for the first time.  It's still a small plant, maybe 18"x18" (45cm x 45cm), but it...hasn't died.     
An intricate detective story on E. verticillata here.  It is a fascinating story of how plants are collected, passed along, forgotten, re-named, re-re-named, rediscovered, lost, forced into extinction by human activity (in the case of this Erica, people picking the flowers), but manage to survive due to people who love plants.  Here's to--us!
 Happy Bloom Day!  Garden bloggers celebrate the 15th of each month by surveying what is blooming in their garden.  

Comments

  1. Happy Bloom Day to you too! I am always amazed to find that roses haven't croaked in your hellish weather. I thought the adage about being a "real" gardener" was that you had to kill the same plant three times, not help give birth to it. Some of us are plant midwives, some are hospice workers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised, too. People grow roses in Phoenix (under shade cloth). They take dry heat better than humidity.

      I've killed Acacia 'Cousin Itt' three or four times, but didn't feel the same satisfaction as from a simple little Zinnia.

      Midwife vs. hospice nurse: good one!

      Delete
  2. That aeonium is indeed impressive. Amazing it can take the weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A. nobile is a much different plant than more common A. arborescens. Stout and strong. Beautiful colors, too.

      Delete
  3. I'm growing Zinnias again this year too, after a hiatus. I'ts always nice to have something around that diesn't get beat up by the heat. I'm pretty sure you were a real gardener pre-Zinnia, but now you are a well-rounded real gardener !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or at least a gardener with Zinnias. They are holding up to the heat here, too.
      Very surprised that the Eustoma are as well.

      Delete
  4. Your roses awe me! I had one tiny rose bloom yesterday, its first (!) this year, and it looked pitiful within an hour of opening yesterday. And I fertilized them this year too. Your Eustomas are also doing great. I've got some straggly stems here and there but no large clumps of blooms this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo I really like the color of the Abutilon. All of your bloomers are pretty. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and many happy flowers to you, Lisa!

      Delete
  6. P.S. I never think about Aeoniums blooming. Obviously they do. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes them a few years and some years all of them bloom and some years none of them bloom. They like to surprise.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations!
    My Erica verticillata didn't survive my gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not expecting it to survive, but it has at least long enough to flower. I'll enjoy it while it graces this garden.

      Delete
  8. Deeply impressed with your zinnias. Every year I mean to start some, but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't grown any since I was about six. Took me a while!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.