Hidden Treasures

Oddly, some of the plants in the garden that do not reseed and do not spread by roots still seem to have figured out how to take over.  How could that happen? Tiny scraps of plants tossed in a planter  and ignored.  Look what happened.
It got crowded
There are more and more of these things all over the garden.  Taking over the veggie beds. 
Growing in the shade of the Dahlia dregs
 Aloe peglarae on the right rescued from under Leucospermum 'Yellow Bird', and the two tiny peglaraes on the left, and the tiny 'Blue Glow' bulbil above, rescued from under the seedling Leucospermum.  Hidden treasures. 
Now you can recover
 These are remnants of what took over a veggie bed, but now the grown-from-seed Leucospermum is taking over.
 Leucospermum seedling, I'm expecting flowers this spring.  You are filling a 4'x4' bed.  You are big enough to bloom.  Look at that Zinnia a few months old, producing flowers even as you engulf it.  For shame!
 Kalanchoes getting ready to fall over and block the path
 Edges of planters being filled
 Edges of pots being filled. 
The fact is, the gardener is letting succulents run rampant everywhere.  Though this would not be possible without the long drought that killed off nearly every snail and slug within a mile of the garden.  None of these succulents could survive a snail attack.

In non-succulent activity,  the 'Amidstad' Salvia had grown huge over the summer.  Cut back hard, several forgotten plants that had been covered up were rediscovered.  The Salvia was quite woody at the base, and really too big for the space, so after cutting most of it off, I pulled it. 
 Not to worry, it lives on in four other places in the garden, feeding hummingbirds and engulfing other plants.

I ended up buying one and only one new plant, (25% off!), to take 'Amistad's place.  The white arrow points to a new 'Love and Wishes' Salvia, which has been very successful in the walled garden near the koi pond.  
Salvia success:

'Love and Wishes' is a smaller grower than 'Amistad'.  I hope it will fit the space better, to hid the sad base of 'Climbing Iceberg' rose (circled in white) without engulfing the formerly hidden rose that has been hidden so long I forgot all about it.  Can't even remember the name--'Apricot' something (pink arrow), encircled last winter so the rabbits would not eat it.  There were hips, so it bloomed somehow in amidst 'Amistad's darkness.   Hidden treasure.  The flattened Iris and 'Rozanne' geranium at the bottom of the photo were engulfed also.  They should recover quickly. 
While making this post, a very strange and unusual thing happened.  Drops of water started falling out of the sky.  The dogs were startled and barked at the unfamiliar pattering sound.   I skedaddled outside to put buckets and tubs under scuppers and downspouts.  A bright flash of light in the darkness and then a rumbling, while more water fell.  Amazing.  There must be a word to describe the phenomenon.  The water falling out of the sky and onto the roof and down on into buckets was black with the dust of April, May, June, July, August, September, and 1/3 of October.   Treasure revealed, falling from clouds.  Flashes of light again and again, then a drum-rumbling in the night.
UPdate 10/13/18 11:00 am:  A ruler and a flat-bottomed, straight sided bucket placed in the open works as a crude rain gauge.  We got more rain here overnight than many places  anywhere else in Southern California--over 1.2" (30mm!).   To put that into perspective, that is about 1/10th of our entire average seasonal rainfall, and about 25% of what we got last season.  It's a lot. 
 Ash from the summer's nearby Holy Fire (we have so many fires here we name them), air pollution, and dust were mostly washed off the plants.  Everything is a fresher color.


Comments

  1. HB, I don't have succulents planted in the ground but I have a small collection of agaves, sedums, aeoniums and cacti under roof on a table. There are lots of snails and slugs here, sometimes walking in the garden at night is like walking on eggshells.. they would eat my succulents in one night if they found them! I wish I could send you some rain, it's been raining non stop for the last 7 days and my roses are succumbing to powdery mildew and blackspot SIGH! I was wishing for a dry spring but seems it will be wet, just like it was last year and sadly there is nothing I can do to keep my roses healthy with so much rain, spraying is useless when I don't have more than a week without rain. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have to garden with the limitations of our climate. You are not dragging a hose around watering, watering, watering, and worrying about the water bill, but I am not plagued by snails. Good and bad in every climate.

      Maybe your kind wishes sent rain, because we got some! I will wish you a drier spring with just enough rain, and no more. If only that would work...

      Delete
  2. What fun to have all of those succulents popping up here and there. Like a treasure hunt to round up and get them planted in an appropriate place. I had a little giggle about your dogs barking at the plopping water. Rain is what that is in case you have totally forgotten what it is. I hope you become more familiar with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Rain"! That's the word I was thinking of, thanks! ;^) It was quite a lovely surprise, and it drizzled all the next day. I cannot remember having a drizzly day for years. Most welcome. Now the sun and the heat will be back. Oh well....

      Delete
  3. There isn't a better, more entertaining show anywhere, is there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unexpected delight, and even more delightful for being unexpected. Hope you got lots!

      Delete
  4. Gosh , I wish succulents did well here, but I enjoy seeing yours. Congratulations on your rain! We also had our first rainfall this week since early August. I'm turning off the drop system - fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news that you got some rain also. It's magic for plants, isn't it? There are some cold-hardier succulents, is that the issue in your area?

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, I hope that the strange liquid falling from the sky didn't melt anything. Lots of hidden treasures in your garden and I love the way the gardener has let succulents run rampant. Happy that you finally got some wet stuff and hope you get more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was grey and drizzly all day Saturday, a type of weather we almost never get, but which is half of the year in your region? A little more sun for you in winter, and a little less for us would be ideal.

      Delete
  6. I stepped barefoot on a snail in early morning drizzly darkness -- that's a blast from the long ago past!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've deliberately dropped succulent pieces in some areas in the hope they'd sprout but I've had very little luck this far. Ditto, with Salvias 'Amistad' and 'Love and Wishes'. You did VERY well in the rain department. We got just over half an inch but I'm still thrilled. The scientist made fun of me when I started running around like a crazy person as the rain began to fall but even he was surprised by what that storm delivered, especially as this one got little hype and really wasn't expected to bring us much of anything. Sadly, the spigot on one of my rain barrels was in the "on" position (probably my fault for leaving it that way when trying to collect the last drops months and months ago) so I lost some of what I might have collected but I'm still feeling water rich today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my tubs was full of dry leaves collected for the compost--I ran out as it started to rain, and just dumped them so I could get the tub under the scupper. There they sit but must be raked up before the wind tonight blows them all over. Not looking forward to the Santa Anas.

      That hyped rain predicted last weekish that we didn't get--we finally got it. Hooray!

      Delete
  8. Wow, more than an inch of rain! A wonderful surprise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.