She-Shed, Dream-Shed

 I recently had the privilege of touring a beautiful formal garden, the highlight of which was a She-Shed beyond most of my fellow 
visitor's wildest dreams--mine as well, though in my dreams it would be stuffed with plants.  The homeowner did it all herself, directing builders and shopping at second hand stores, thrift stores, and architectural recyclers, with a little help from family members.    
  He did his own excavating:
 The she-shed was...we were all sighing and envious.  Of course I would have stuffed it with plants, but it is beautifully decorated for those who like to sit down, relax, socialize, read in a quiet place.
The family teenagers watch sports and movies
  We wants it!
 A previous owner had built the original structure as an open barbecue pavilion.  The new homeowner used her extensive remodeling experience and design talents to make it a garden get-away.  The windows were all purchased (I think) from architectural recycling shops. 

I helped, actually!  A while ago, I suggested uv-blocking and heat-reflecting window film for the west facing windows.  The owner said the film was working out well.  
 The garden had been nothing but lawn and the Crape Myrtle adjacent to the She-Shed.  The tree was just leafing out at the time of our visit. 
 The orderly elegance of the garden is a reflection of the owner's personality and creative design talent.  The owner is very much a hands-on gardener.     


The homeowner has the ability to walk into a thrift store just as things like an antique monkey chandelier are put out for sale.  When I go into a thrift store there are battered, crumbling particle board TV stands waiting just for me. 
 There were red tulips planted everywhere for the tour, but the Weather God was well aware they needed to be fried by a heat wave the day before the tour.  So they were. 
 The front garden was every bit as beautiful, but the sun by then was at its zenith so this was the only photo that turned out really well.
 Lovely day, lovely visit.  She-shed, Dream-shed. 



Comments

  1. The she-shed is indeed spectacular, although I would ban the TV (and probably the teenagers unless they helped out in the garden). The canine helper looks suitably contrite about the unauthorized excavating. I LOVE that monkey chandelier; however, my own experiences with thrift stores parallels yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teens are often put to work, and maybe they will pick up the gardening habit too. We need more plant lovers.

      Delete
  2. Too much like a living room for my taste, but great space. And a nice garden to look out on -- huge improvement over lawn.
    Some people really do have the thrift store touch. Back in my L.A. days a friend saw me emerge empty-handed and discouraged from a Value Village where I needed to get clothes for an upcoming trip. She took me by the arm and led me back in, where she whipped down the same aisles I'd searched fruitlessly, plucking out tops and pants like a professional shopper. In less than half an hour, I was all set. I miss her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people can do that in a Value Village. I can do that at Village Nursery, but they don't sell clothes. ;^)

      Delete
    2. LOL! I'm pretty sure roles would have been reversed had we been in a nursery...

      Delete
  3. I like the white flowers among white and dark leaves.
    If I had a she-shed, TV OUT, a tea corner and lots of nicely filled bookshelves in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice though for the teenagers to have a gathering spot. Keeps them close by, but gives them space at the same time. White flowers, dark leaves, yes!

      Delete
  4. You, however, have an enviable, beautifully-remodeled bathroom (with leafy panels!) I do love the formal veggie garden that works perfectly with the style and look of the she-shed. I tend to be like you in a thrift or consignment shop: most of the time, I just don't seem to have the creative re-purpose gene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, really enjoying the new bathroom, yes. No more fear of falling in a shower with a slippery floor and awkward steps. Now it is safe in and out and yes, leaves! Maybe I just need to add a lot of plants...hmm...tempting.

      Delete
  5. Wow! The she shed is nicer than my living room. And I agree the place would be full of plants. One can only dream of a place where no compromises have to occur. Sigh. Oh and the garden is quite lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More knowledge and hands-on work went into this than you would expect. I wish I had that energy level!

      Delete
  6. The owner is really privileged and has a lovely touch. The garden is magazine perfect. The area is larger than many families have to live in....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When this house was built the human population of California was under 6 million. Today it is 40 million. We all used to have a lot more space.

      Delete
  7. Wow, I could live in the she-shed. Fun that she found the monkeys in the second hand shop. I have a friend like that too. She has a way of finding good things not in a store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing talent. Even more amazing to we who don't have it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.