A Big Tree Nursery


All photos in this post by Beloved
 Fascinating visit recently to a tree nursery that knows its customer demographic precisely.  That sort of business savvy can be admired, though the aura of love about it was not the love of plants.    
Thirty acres of growing grounds.  The place was literally a mile long and packed with trees being grown for sale.  Some shrubs and other plants as well, but mostly specimen trees.  Big ones. 
With big prices!  Crane not included!
The target customers appeared to be either the homeowner who is moving into a new house with no landscaping, or redoing an existing landscape.  Customers who buy trees and shrubs to perform specific functions, such as providing shade, masking out neighbors, and meeting HOA guidelines.  People who don't care about plants as the fascinating living things we gardeners love to nurture.  People who think gardening is work.  People who see plants as outdoor furnishing.  People who don't want to fuss with a plant ever again once it is "installed".  Most people.       
I was considering planting two or three fairly already large screening shrubs where the Italian Cypress used to be, so I wanted to check the place out.   I was also curious about this place, as they advertise constantly.  We took a drive. 
 A mile long of trees 
 Sales people were there to greet customers, get an idea of what they want, and then they drive you around the 30 acres to show you the inventory.  

"I feel like I'm at a used car lot.", Beloved whispered to me.  
 They have perfected a system to make the decision to pay a whole lot of money for large trees and shrubs as easy as possible.  
 Interesting to me that basically trees of various species were mostly all the same price--the price was based on the size of the container they were in, rather than on the species of plant  Slow-growing Podocarpus henkelii was the same price as fast-from-seed Schinus molle.
 They make it easy for the customer.  Planting the trees is included in the price.   Except...delivery wasn't:  $199.  They guarantee their trees for an entire month, but you can buy an extended warranty for only...I stopped listening after that.   
 I thought they had their customer beautifully figured out:  people who know zero about plants, suddenly faced with buying some. What is your favorite place to vacation?  Love Hawaii?  Like "tropical"?  Here you go:
 Love visiting Palm Springs?  (Or hate watering?) You'll like Desert! 
 Basic functions were also categorized:
 All important for small-lot-big-house Southern California:
 I was amazed at the way this business understood their customers and how to sell to them, and I will say, the trees looked very well cared for (for what they were charging, they would have to be, though only a month guarantee doesn't inspire confidence, and we did have a wonderfully rainy winter.). 

We, however were not their target customer.  I know a little about plants, and don't need an instant landscape.  We ended up not buying a $600(!) six foot tall 20 gallon Podocarpus henkellii (plus $199 delivery fee, extended warranty, special fertilizer...) but rather a few weeks later a little $7.99 Iochroma that will be nine feet tall by...September or thereabouts.  Knowledge is a lovely thing.  

Did enjoy seeing all the trees, and meditating upon the business of selling plants.  So many nurseries are just getting by.
 
 Neener neener neener!
 Blogger in habitat
 
 Some decent plants, mostly all 10 gallon size.  Too big.   But there are plenty of customers around here who want an instant landscape.  
 Really big trees!
Big machine to move them, and plant them.  Dinosaur extra.


 Tree grower humor

 Big plant, big price...but big Agaves bloom, and then they are gone.
Such is the state of things these days.  Instant big trees, get rich quick, fast, fast, hurry, hurry. 

Comments

  1. Oh my, I have never seen such a place. The prices are mind boggling. I would have been distracted by all the big pots available. ha... Around here I do know there is a big machine that can dig up huge trees and replant them. I have seen it in action. I imagine hiring this rig would be just as mind boggling/wallet emptying as this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the prices were very high, and then there were extra charges as well!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It was a weird experience, that is for sure!

      Delete
  3. Cool place but oh, those prices. That's several mortgage payments. The old addage 'Patience is a virtue needs to be reinforceded".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Patience can save a lot of money" may be another valuable saying! :^)

      Delete
  4. I recognize the nursery you visited from the signage. "Beloved" had it right when he was reminded of a used car lot -- replete with high-pressure salesmen, bait-and-switch tactics and overpriced warranties. Thank goodness you know better, but as you point out, most people don't. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I smeared the name on the signs with photo software. If it is a good nursery I mention the name. If I don't have a lot of positive comments to make, I don't.

      It really does pay to shop around and educate yourself before making a major purchase. This was a perfect example.

      Thanks for stopping by and for your comment!

      Delete
  5. I think I can guess the name of the nursery. I've seen their full page ads in the newspaper. Your post confirmed my perception of their approach. An interesting post in any case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do the big ads. That's the one. Late-stage capitalism at its scariest.

      Delete
  6. Well, I suppose I’m glad a place like this exists, for the folks who don’t know any better, they need plants too. And I’m guessing I know the name as well. I first became aware of them in Phoenix, very near my brother’s place. During Gerhard and my trip to Santa Barbara last month I was shocked to see they’d bought up/developed so much of the land on the 126 from I-5 to the 101. Their signs lined the road on both side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People who don't know any better need plants, too.

      Hah! Good one! Yes they do.

      It sickens me to think of 126 being turned into more sprawl. Once upon a time it was a gorgeous drive.

      Delete
  7. I can guess which nursery that is. I've been to a couple of their Phoenix location. Shocking prices, but the "I want big now" crowd doesn't know that. I'd hate the sales pressure. Plant shopping is supposed to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the "I want big now." mindset. I was just looking at a property down the road where they planted 48" box native oaks at staggering expense. My oak planted from an acorn is already larger, healthier, and didn't cost anything. Now that is fun...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.