"It" Plants At The Getty

 The Getty's flower garden is a great place to see the latest cool plants--this year's or recent year's "It" plants--in a landscape.  A recent visit did not disappoint.

Acacia cognata 'Cousin Itt'.  
I've killed it three times.  Or is it four times?  Still tempted to try again--its become a mystery I itch to solve.
 An Allium that will flower in Southern California has drawn attention lately.
 It is not the towering thing seen in colder climates
 The Alium is cool, but I'm not enthralled beyond the temptation to spray paint the dried out remnants silver or gold, and stick them in a vase, where they would probably look very stupid.  I did not get the talent for making projects of that nature look cool.  In my early gardening days like everyone else I tried Allium 'Globemaster', which grew some nice foliage but no flowers.  Needs chill.   
 Alstroemeria 'Indian Summer', among other Alstroemerias, is big in garden centers this spring
We wants it, precious!
 Anigozanthos have been popular the past few years. 
 I got one planted last year to survive to bloom again this spring, but it's not exactly pretty.  These are.
 Chartreuse Cotinus (I think).  Chartreuse has been trendy a while.  Cotinus, a bit.  They do better in a climate where they can get a good winter's rest, don't they?  The pairing of chartreuse with the dark bronze Phormium really works. 
 Coulter Bush, of the various botanical names
(Hymenolepis crithmifolia, Athanasia/H. parviflora/H. crithmoides)

I grew and enjoyed it for about three years.  It became huge, and is its beautiful best in its youth, like many of us are.  Golden variegated Lavender 'Meerlo' below the Hymenolepis is also Newish And Cool, along with one of the several sterile Euphorbias ('Diamond Frost', 'Super White', etc.) that bloom tiny white flowers in staggering numbers, in a hopeless attempt to set a seed.   Silver Helichrysum is not so Trendy, as it can get quite rampant. 
 Add a touch of red and some dabs of purple, and it all works.
 Echium cadicans with variegated foliage.  This year has been an outstanding Echium year.  They need more water than advertised, which this winter gave them. 
 California native Eriophyllum nevinii 'Canyon Silver' caught my eye, and I planted it last year.  The Getty's designer appears to have done likewise.  It's more stunning in bright sun.  The day was overcast, better for the photographer if not the photos.  I like 'Canyon Silver' with the creamier orange Euphorbia 'Sticks on Fire' has in the spring. 
 One of the Glauciums.  I've enjoyed mine, which produced a single flower when first purchased and hasn't bloomed since. The foliage is satisfying all by itself. 
 Leucandendron 'Jester', looking unsurprisingly lovely.
 Leucadendron 'Ebony' looking absolutely delicious.
  Perfect with red flowers nearby

 The Getty's Leucadendron argenteum, on the other hand, had only small tufts of silver silk foliage on the ends of bare stems.  
 Not so happy

Even within sight of the Pacific, SoCal is apparently a little too warm for it.  I would hope they would replace it with L. 'Pisa'.  Almost as pretty, with more likelihood of health in this climate.
I saw this Berzelia lanuginosa (ID thanks to agardeningobsession) for sale a few months ago.  I like the foliage.

 The Getty's Senecio candicans 'Senaw' marketing name 'Angel Wings' doesn't look much better than mine did.  Unlike mine, theirs is still alive.  
An ornamental Oxalis, as opposed to the weeds of the genus.  A trend I'm not going to indulge in.  Too much time spent yanking the weed versions.  
 Rhodocoma...capensis?  I just call them Restios if I can't figure out which one it is.  Masses of Chondropetalum are planted above the flower garden, along the zig zag path to it.
 This was also some sort of Restio(?), or grass(?), a couple of big billowy clumps of it, potted.  Haven't a clue.  Softly billowy froth anyway, against a backdrop of Phormium.
 Plenty more pictures from the Getty's flower garden, enough for a future post or two. 

I didn't include the Getty's Digiplexus 'Illumination Flame', of which there was one or two.  A memorable "It" plant of a few years back, which proved to be an expensive annual for a lot of us.  'Sweet Dreams' Coreopsis a few years before that.  You have to watch out for the "It" plants, (especially the 'Cousin Itt's).

Comments

  1. My Senecio 'Angel Wings' didn't survive the winter here either. I don't know what I did wrong, but I never know quite what to do with foliage like that so I wasn't too upset. It was a novelty. I have pulled out way too much weedy Oxalis that looks just like that so-called ornamental one to ever deliberately plant it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too on the Oxalis. Yecch!

      Since you are in a cool climate the problem with that Senecio wasn't heat. I think growers when producing a brand new plant make mistakes that sometimes make them kaput no matter what. The foliage yes stuck out badly in among other plants, but it was so very striking...and fuzzy...

      Delete
  2. Beautiful garden and lovely photos of nature !!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  3. The blooming alliums look to have some A. cristophii in their makeup, which is a shorter one -- blooming here now, in fact. The one in the seedhead stage looks more like A. schubertii. Maybe it's a cross?

    Thirty years on, I'm still smitten by the memory of the huge silver Leucadendrons at S.F. Botanical Garden (then Strybing Arb.), so I sympathize with the Getty gardeners' desire to grow them. But if theirs don't perk up, there's plenty of comfort to take from the beauty of 'Ebony' and 'Jester', particularly when set off by zingy blooms.

    Wonderful looks here; thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since they mostly don't bloom here I pay zero attention to Alliums except to admire then in colder-climate gardens. There might have been more than one kind. SFBG would be even better than Santa Cruz for cool summer weather, making for a happy L. argenteum.

      Glad you liked the post, thanks!

      Delete
  4. What are the tall plants with rusty stems and long whorled leaves among the Glaucium? They evoke Joe Pyes and pokeweed for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wondered that myself, not sure. Thought it was maybe Asclepias.

      Delete
  5. Spring is the best time to visit the Getty's garden. Maybe I can coerce my husband to pay a visit once our remodel starts. I've been waiting to see if my Alliums return this year - so far, it's not looking auspicious. I saw 'Angel Wings' in my local garden center yesterday and was tempted but, after killing 2 last year, I decided it was too soon to push my luck again. You should definitely try 'Cousin Itt' again. I've lost only one but maybe our soils are different? Mine's very sandy and leans toward alkaline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked extra marvelous because of our magical winter. Hope you get a chance to visit and de-stress from the remodel. Continued best wishes for success! Now that it's all finished we're really enjoying our new bathroom.

      Delete
  6. Interesting that I just read this as we've been watching "All The Money In The World". Anyway, the gardens are stunning. I grew two Alstroemerias last year but they did not survive the winter. The "Indian Summer" is gorgeous and I'd buy it in a minute. I noticed that we just got the "Sticks on Fire' - I wonder how I would grow that here - in a pot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Sticks on Fire' grows very easily in a pot. Best to use a heavy one as they get top heavy quickly. What you could do is let it grow in the warm months and then cut it short and bring it into the house for the cold months so its not so big. No need to water in the cold months.

      The Garden department at the Getty does seem to have a good budget, if not "All The Money In The World". ;^)

      Delete
  7. I can't grow most of what you have shown in the Getty gardens but I love to see them. I could or should be able to grow those red poppies that are popping right now. I see them here and there in the neighborhood. I don't seem to have luck getting them started. I do have alliums up and blooming. Those red poppies would be striking blooming near by. I must try them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the remaining pictures are all full of poppies--there were poppies everywhere there. We get one winter heatwave and Papavers all shrivel up and die here--so I don't even try--just make do with the California version.

      Delete
  8. That Leucadendron argenteum is a little sad, but still beautiful to my eyes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Not Happy. :( L. 'Pisa' would be a better choice. Kris P.'s 'Pisa' is a thrill to behold.

      Delete
  9. I fell into the allium trap this year. I bought 140 Allium sphaerocephalon bulbs from a Dutch bulb supplier, since no one sells bulbs in Spain. Now, this is supposedly a species that is native to Spain, and I have seen it grow in a Roman archeological site in Toledo, but I got nothin'. I mean , perhaps 10 sets of leaves, but not a single flower. Have they mutated the bulbs to such an extent that now they can no longer flower in their native habitat?

    As always, fab photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothin'!?!? That's a whole lot of bulbs, too. Yikes. Did a little reading...results seem to vary and require a colder-than-average winter here in coastal SoCal, which we have not had apart from this last one for...a decade? Your winters are colder than here, are they not?

      Listed as SoCal successful: Allium schubertii (I think it is that last Allium photo), Allium sphaerocephalum( guess not?!?), Allium cristophii, Allium ampeloprasum; there are CA natives Allium peninsulare and Allium unifolium though supposedly not spectacular like colder-climate types.

      Delete
  10. Rice flower? I think native to Australia not South Africa. Not sure of botanical name...Ozothamnus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Berzelia lanuginosa. It is indeed similar to Ozothamnus, but the flowers are much larger. ID kindly provided by AGrowingObsession.

      Delete
    2. Ah, should clarify despite the similar look not closely related to Ozothamnus, which is in Asteraceae while Berzelia is in Bruniaceae, a family endemic to certain areas in the Western Cape region of SA.

      Delete
  11. Great to see what the "it" designers are planting. I feel modestly trendy with my four 'Meerlo' and multiple variegated Euphorbias, haha.

    My Angel Wing senecio died even faster than yours!

    P.S. Tried giant alliums. Failed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.