Gardening Lots, Garden Blogging, Not Much

Late November New Garden Visit in Southern California

Vastly more gardening than garden blogging these days.  It's been Autumn clean up time of spring and summer's lavish growth thanks to last winter's near-perfect rainfall.  This activity is regulated by space in the green-waste bins;  once full, clean up pauses until collection day empties the bins again.   
The big 'Laguna' rose climber that bloomed so spectacularly but then collapsed due to a late rain in May awaits a major pruning:
Planted sweet peas from six-packs because last year something ate all the sprouted seeds that came up so nicely but vanished.   Rabbit guards this year.

Planted a package of Freesia corms for the heck of it.  Screen laid over the area so I don't step on them.
 With regret, pulled the declining Grevillea 'Superb' by the mailbox and replaced it with Leucadendron 'Pom Pom' that had roots growing out of the pot.  Several major branches of the 'Superb' had died.   I discovered the plant was getting zero irrigation;  it didn't actually need much to grow, but in the light soil here it needs some water to look good.  'Pom Pom' is getting an edging of Aloe brevifolia.  The foliage color is a match with 'Pom Pom's. 
Pulled the increasingly weird-growing Agave americana 'Medio Picta Aurea' that annoyed me every time I walked out of the house (there are offsets to plant elsewhere, perhaps).  It was loaded with mealy bugs.  The slope needs care too.  It must wait until after 'Laguna''s turn to fill the green waste bins.  
 I cut the stem which was long and bare and pushed the agave over the wall.  It looks so lovely in the trash bin but it's a mess of mealies.  Love-hate with A. americana, mostly hate.  It's too weedy here. 
 The beheaded stem of 'Moon Glow' that sprouted about a dozen rosettes was being overwhelmed by a 'Blue Flame' Agave so I pulled it.  I'll cut off the dozen rosettes and reroot them. 
 Pondering What To Change On The Front Slope continues, with fear at the effort required.  The many months long bloom of 'Cynthia Gitty' is a joy, but the massive ever spreading clump of plants is a worry.  'Cynthia' at least forms a very tight, tidy mass.  The yellow flowered megalacantha hybrid(?) looks untidy.  This all scares me.  
To be honest I prefer the ease of solitary or mostly solitary rosettes, like aculeata, reitzii, tomentosa, rubroviolacea, and the like, but the benefit of constant flowers for the hummers is important.
Aloe aculeata: 
 Light tree trimming;  emotionally reconciling myself to removing the remaining trio of beautiful 'Swaines Golden' Cupressus sempervirens (fire danger, rodent refuge).  The sad/gross trapping of rats is distressing.  I did not know Cypress are a favored nesting site for rodents.  I do now. 

The yellow-gold of the Cypress is a fine accent to the Acer dropping its foliage in the autumn glow. 
A visit to a brand new beautiful garden last week.  A friend redid her longtime family home, and the garden as well.  This is a garden for large happy family gatherings rather than a PBG (personal botanical garden), so it has elegant cohesion rather than 50,000 pots of fascinating plants stuck here and there and and everywhere that won't fit into the ground because there are already fascinating plants (one of each)  everywhere in the ground.  This is not one of those gardens.  But it's beautiful anyway.   
Walk out the back door...
 Barbecuing is a year round activity here.  Nifty Cor-ten laser cut screen to hide the neighbor's house
 The large Eucalyptus trees belong to the HOA and the homeowners are not allowed to remove them.  The visit took place on  one of our golden warm autumn days. The pool sparkled and the plants glowed. 
 The sun at its lower November angle created shadow patterens and warmed rather than burned. 


 Variegated Dianella tasmanica alternating with Scaevola edge the pool.
 I could have sat there all day enjoying it. 
My own garden is at its worst at this time of year, which makes the gardener quite melancholy.   The roses and other plants happiest in more sunlight hours look unhappy but really are merely taking a well-earned rest.   Much clean up yet to do. 
The warm golden days we've had lately are magical...

Though we got about 0.3" of rain last Wednesday, we're predicted to get much more this coming Wednesday.  The golden days of autumn are waning.  Rainy days ahead.  Wheee!!!!!!! 
Clouds!   Moisture!  Imagine that. 

Comments

  1. You are so happy with this more temperate weather, moving things, removing things, shifting focus from just survival to renewal while preparing for the eventual rain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you guess? ;^)

      How about you? Are you a rainy-day lover, do you prefer the sunlight and heat of summer?

      Delete
  2. It's always nice to visit a garden whose style is different than your own. Plant nerds however, really enjoy the 'botanical' aspect. I quite enjoy visiting all the different plant types and groups in your garden. Super interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really really pretty garden on a golden autumnal day. One can sit and admire the whole.

      OTOH, I can also spend hours in a collector's garden, looking over every single plant.

      Both good!

      Delete
  3. You've been busy! Last year's healthy rainfall had a negative side here too - the rampant growth that looked great in spring has presented some major challenges this fall, especially as I limited what I did in many areas of the garden during the looong remodel project. I just noted that, despite the plastic flats I laid over my sweet pea seeds, almost all my seedlings have been beheaded. I think the culprits here are birds rather than rabbits but I can't prove it. I may end up resorting to 6-packs too. Your friend's garden renovation looks beautiful and I can't help envying its tidy appearance, something mine most definitely doesn't have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think birds pulled my seedlings, and the rabbits are trying to get at the six-pak plantlings. They nipped one so I reinforced the barriers. Where are the coyotes when we need them?

      Now your remodel is (mostly) done, you can play in the dirt again with a happy heart. Have fun!

      Delete
  4. Glad you're getting some nice weather for gardening. I've been doing very little of either gardening or blogging. A little puttering about in the greenhouse is my limit lately. I had to toss out about 6 or 7 potted Aloes that were overcome with mealybugs. I attempted to rescue two of them, because they weren't in terrible shape and were also not the easiest ones to replace. So far there is no sign of the mealybugs coming back, but it's only been about a week. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greenhouse puttering is good, too. On what we here call a "cold" day, greenhouse puttering is quite an appealing idea. Good luck with the Aloes! The mealies are manageable if you keep at it and get all the eggs.

      Delete
  5. I can see with those full bins that you have been busy. Isn't it fun to get out there and move, rearrange, replant etc. I love that time of year. I also love those rainy days that keep you inside with time for contemplation and time to wrangle the house.
    Your friends garden is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it sure has been fun. I can only stay indoors so long.

      I admit I was quite envious of my friends garden. It was so peaceful!

      Delete
  6. So happy you finally have some rain! It's fun moving things around, and changing things. I'm doing the same thing up here, whenever I have a chance. Your friend's garden is beautiful! I love how the Eucalyptus trees filtered the slanted light. I have thoroughly enjoyed this fall, but I hear cold is coming our way, right in time for Thanksgiving. The weather shows a low of 24F... brrr! Now it's REALLY time to get off my butt to get the houseplants in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So thrilled about the rain, it's all good right now.

      Yep, get those houseplants inside. 24F! On the good side, that kills off some bugs, right?

      We're due for some cold also, but here "cold" isn't really very cold.

      Delete
  7. Rain is on the way here at last. And frost -all in the same week. So there will be snow in the mountains. Your friends' garden is really beautiful -with restraint I would never in a million years achieve. I'm sorry you have to consider the removal of your cypress. I have never had to deal with rats thank god.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like it has arrived in your area --enjoy! Predicted to get here tomorrow morning drive time. My rain barrels are ready.

      Yeah, restraint. I was last in line for that, and they had run out.

      A local retired farmer told me if you are going to grow citrus and avocados, you are going to get rats, so learn to deal with it. So I've learned to deal with it. The less hiding places for them, the better. It's going to hurt to give up the cypress. Maybe I'll try setting traps at their bases for a while--but there's also the flammability issue.

      Delete
  8. Glad you've got rain coming. I look forward to seeing your sweet peas in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain was great, and more predicted! It will be a while before the sweet peas bloom, but I'm looking forward to them myself. They are, well, sweet!

      Delete
  9. Wow, I love your friend's garden! I dream of having an elegant space like that, but knowing myself, I'd never be able to leave it alone and soon it would be the hodge podge of one-off plants I'm used to :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.