When It's Too Hot To Garden

Serious current plant-crush on the seedling Clematis

Serious! Plant! Crush!
We suffered our first real heat wave of the year starting last Thursday.  Friday was 98F (36C), and it cooled down by a few degrees each day since.  Lots of tender new foliage and lots of April flowers left plants vulnerable.  So mostly I watered, using up all the collected rainwater from our generous April rain, and misted during peak heat, and deadheaded toasted roses in the late afternoon, as the sun dropped behind the hill.   
Some of these are toasted:
My miscellaneous gardening tasks mean a miscellany of thoughts and pictures.
Then-and-now #1...
Podocarpus 'Icee Blue', April 19, 2018:
Two years later:  April 19, 2020:
It grew!  And grew more blue!
Happy with it.  

Then-and-now #2.  I found a December 2005 picture of the front slope planting originally done in 2000, the one the landscape architect did.  Baccharis, mostly.  The much-loathed Cercis occidentalis, winter dormant in the picture.  I dug out the Cercis in 2008 and I'm still pulling seedlings.

The boxwood hedge was supposed to go elsewhere but I nixed that and the LA had it planted it on the front slope because the plants were non-returnable.  It was actually the best looking plant on the slope.  Some of the Baccharis and two Bougainvilleas died on the right side of the slope in the photo, so I filled the space with Lavender 'Goodwin Creek Grey' which was in bad shape by 2005.  The Baccharis looks fairly filled in and green in the photo, but it wasn't.   Lots of dead areas. 
The LA's plan was a big mass of Bougainvillea flanked by two areas of half-dead Baccharis. Now I think about it,  there was also an edging of Euonymous japonicus; a shrub that typically grows 10-15' tall.  We were supposed to keep it trimmed at 1' tall.  No, really.  The LA was not a plant person.  My enthusiasm for plants beyond the standard ones threw her off.  She'd wanted to plant Trachelospermum asiaticum instead of Baccharis.  She planted the Trachelospermum next door, where it wasn't much better than the Baccharis.  20 years and lots of big water bills later, the Trachelospermum finally filled the neighbor's slope somewhat--in places.  We asked for some California native plants and the Baccharis was the LA's answer.  Perhaps her plan was to have the entire street all planted with the same shrubs and trees--not sure if it was a unified vision for the street, or if she just always used the same half dozen standard shrubs and of course lawn on every job.

The Euonymous thankfully all died--too hot and dry for Euonymous.  Too hot and dry for the Baccharis, too.  The sole surviving plant is a lone Bougainvillea, which I cut to the ground every few years so it doesn't form a big mass of rat habitat.  The lawn on the flat areas is long gone.

Now, for better or worse, quirky and personal, not much less of a mess, but not bland. 
 The front slope needs work.  The front slope always needs work.    I've started re-arranging/adding plants, but the broken arm delayed that. Lately with the broken arm functioning again somewhat, I removed the smaller of the two clumps of Aloe x megalacantha.  Moved two Aloe buhrii to form a triangle with a third Aloe buhrii.  There are several Aloe 'Moonlight' in a pot waiting to form a new group in the empty area Agave marmorata once inhabited.  And some other stuff.  No pictures until mulched.  I am hoping to do a lot come May Gray/June Gloom time.  

Speaking of broken arm,  this was what I was working on when I broke my arm,  an experiment to hide that pond pipe. 
Heh.  Good idea, very poorly executed.  Try again.  Don't break arm!! 

More 'Yellow Bird' amazement.  You almost need sunglasses to look at it.  I've seen passersby take selfies with it.  
Better than Baccharis:
Speaking of Aloe buhrii, first flower from the first Aloe buhrii, planted several years ago.
Early morning of Friday, the first heat-wave day, I picked some flowers that were sure to be toast by noon.
All the Hippeastrums in the back gully are opening.  I counted 31 flower stems, but there may be a few more yet to emerge.  They put on a good show. 
Good old 'Apple Blossom'

 These orange-y ones are actually seedlings of 'Rilona'.  I planted some seed pods and they are old enough to flower.  The seedlings have shorter stems, which is fine. 
 Tulips?  Who needs tulips? 
Rose 'Easy Spirit' was new to the garden last year.  Wow.  Really perfect spiral-centered flower.  Me like!

Clematis 'Wisley' now blooming. 
Because of the dry heat, it was the perfect time to wash the pups.  A bath loosens up and helps them drop their winter coats.
Mom!  Make her quit sniffing my behind!  
Life is easy when you are gorgeous and have a brother to tease.  
 And the first Itoh peony bloomed!  In this heat, brief but glorious. 
Living in the moment. 

Comments

  1. I like the site history - it gives your garden some context for readers like me who've come late to the game. Was the LA you spoke with originally part of a larger firm that was building the entire community? Then I suppose it would make sense that they'd want to stick to a smaller plant palette for efficiency at scale - not that efficiency creates a good garden. IMO - home gardens are mainly for the gardener so eventually we arrive at what works for the site and us ... btw that Leucospermum is awesome looking. I'm a CA native so I don't want to disparage CA native plants but sometimes I feel it's hard for them to compete (visually) against plants from other Mediterranean regions around the world like S. Africa. Plus as I've found out - it seems native deer like to eat some of our native plants. make sense I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The LA was a friend of the builder was how we ended up with that LA. Small project--just one street with a few houses. I was still very busy with a programming job and didn't have time to find an LA more in tune with our mindset.

      CA native here, too. There's a few things about CA native plants. One, CA is a big state with many climates and plants that evolved to grow in specific places. Lots of nurseries sell "California Natives" as if they would grow anywhere in California. I think that's getting a little better, though. It's also hotter now than in the past, and some native plants can't handle that.

      I agree, many CA natives can't compete with the astounding plants of SA and Mediterranean region plants. A lot of CA natives look absolutely awful in the summer.

      Don't envy your deer. The rabbits and gophers are bad enough.

      Delete
    2. PS South Africa can't compete with the way Californian gardeners give our plants starring roles.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Still boggles my mind to see amaryllis blooming in the garden as here they are only Christmas plants. Passed on your blog to a relative who is a rose lover/grower. He was incredibly impressed by your beautiful roses. Something we can only aspire to in our cold climate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the climate for roses here, as long as we're not in a drought. Though it's getting more and more crowded all the time, and gardens are vanishing, replaced by apartment blocks with little mustaches of green around them.

      Tulip cultivars boggle my mind--this is just not their climate.

      Delete
  3. I can't even conceive of you having a front garden that looked like the one designed by the landscape architect. It is SO NOT YOU! Your redesign is absolutely spectacular and always looks great to my eyes. I'm very impressed with your naturalized Hippeastrums. They did splendidly in my former garden but I haven't been as happy with their progress here and suspect I've erred in giving them too much shade. I should move the butterfly Hippeastrum now that you've reminded me of how great the plants can look. As to B&N, they look spiffy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long education and adventure, that front slope. And ongoing. Thanks!

      I think they do need a good amount of sun, not all day, but at least half. Those are in full shade in the winter, but in full to near-full sun the rest of the year. I'm running out of space already--the bulbs have multiplied.

      B&N--now there are clouds of snowy white hair everywhere as they drop their coats for the summer. Best wishes for Pipig, hope she is feeling good. I think of her when I use my heating pad on my healing arm. We are both heating pad fans!

      Delete
  4. Your concept for the garden is the best. I am always blown away by all the different plants. I enjoy coming here to see what is blooming and all the forms of plants I find fascinating. Your sweet doggies looks so purty after their bath. Love seeing them too. I hope it cools down for you so you can put that new arm to good use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comments. I am grateful!

      Delete
  5. Looking at that original "garden" photo I found myself wondering what the same LA would design today. We know that awareness of available plants has shifted, bringing in the Australian, S African, etc, as well as the popularity of succulents. Obviously the beauty that you've created is specific to your knowledge and plant lust, but hopefully the common "bar" has been raised a little?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Baccharis is a native California plant that does well with low water, but it looked dreadful (or died) on that slope. Looking back, perhaps if I'd carefully adjusted the irrigation to hit every plant heavily, and also sheared each plant to an evenly low profile...difficult on that slope--but the effort and water to do that, for a nondescript shrub?!??

      Success is all about plant knowledge--the best LA's (in my limited experience) either are passionate plant experts or wisely offload the work to passionate plant experts. I'm trying to remember the famous Arizona LA--Steve somebody? Who does the awesome modernist gardens with colored walls? Great designs with structures but he's also got deep knowledge of desert plants...

      Bar raised, yes I think so. the education system has swung to climate-appropriate plants here, for sure.

      The guy next door let his daughter newly graduated LA from Cal Poly SLO do the remodel of his pool and some of the garden, and while she made several rookie mistakes, did use climate-appropriate plants; replaced the back lawn with Stipa/Nasella tenuissama (now sprouting all over my garden, but easy to id and pull), and such like. Planting an olive tree in a 1' wide raised concrete bed surrounded by pavement, though...and its a fruiting olive, too. Oy.

      Delete
    2. Steve Martino. You're reminding me I never got around to acquiring the beautifully photographed book The Desert Gardens of Steve Martino, but I feel less of a craving for those images now with expanding foliage and peonies in bloom...

      Delete
    3. Yes, I did remember the name later, I did! I got the book, and have enjoyed it. Beautiful gardens! I got the idea for the back wall of our shower remodel from it.

      Delete
  6. Well that front slope has surely had a significant transformation. The LA's seem to prefer stuff the mow-blow guys can torture into submission. We have been hot here as well the last few days - extra water for the plants in need. Temps drop tomorrow thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plant something too big for the space to have, eventually, an immigrant shear it into a meatball with a gasoline powered clipper and blow the clippings away with a gasoline-powered blower. Sigh. I do not blame the mow-blow guys. They are not paid enough to do a proper job, which many of them know how to do.

      Heat for you to, eh? My fantasy is that this early heat means we have an unusually cool summer. Hey, it's my fantasy! Dreams are fair!

      Delete
  7. Your pavement side border is worth a detour for any local person. The rose is absolutely perfect, sadly unable to find this one in the UK. I love the way the two heights of amaryllis look in the bed. For my money I wish they had the shorter stemmed ones here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, (and it is very sad) in our culture the vast majority of people have little interest in plants. Some of that is because people are working 60 hours a week and don't have time for anything but work and the commute to work, and some because of alienation from nature or ignorance of it. The new interest in house plants by very young people makes me hope in a revival of plant love in my country.

      Totally agree on stem length of Amaryllis. In a pot with a tall stem it's difficult to keep the pot from tipping over. I wonder if the stem length is for the florist industry, which wants stem length?

      That rose was sadly not well-promoted; a rose exhibitor told me it was a winner--and he was right.

      Delete
  8. The front slope may need more work, but it still looks amazing. You've worked quite a transformation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jason. It's been an education. Someday I might get it right!

      Delete
  9. Too hot to garden? 10 days ago I would have said, what are you talking about? Now I understand. Every year the first heatwave of the year manages to catch me off guard!

    I cannot tell you how often I've come THIS CLOSE to buying one of those blue-leaved podocarpuses (podocarpi?). I have no place to put one, but seeing how well-behaved your 'Icee Blue' is.... Do you know how much shade they tolerate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I badly miss that cool weather. Another heat wave predicted for next week, unfortunately. I want May Grey!

      I think the 'Icee Blue's take shade, yes, but ideally not full shade. Actually it seems like some shade is good, not bad. There's a hedge of them at a home nearby east facing--the ones in all shade look okay but not as good as the ones in morning sun/afternoon shade. It seems like every plant I have ever grown likes morning sun/afternoon shade...even Agaves. Maybe not Aloe dichotoma.

      There's a mature specimen at the Huntington, same species of Podocarpus if not same selection, about 25 or 30 tall, one of the most beautiful trees I've ever seen. When we go there (it's been a long while, sigh) I always like to visit it. Because of the larger trees around, it is in morning sun, afternoon shade.

      I'm thinking of adding another if I can find the space. They are a favorite!

      Delete
  10. So sorry to hear about your arm! I'll have to read further back to see what happened. Wishing you a quick recovery.

    Why do I not ever remember seeing pics of your slope? It looks spectacular! No wonder people are stopping to take selfies. I lost my entire streetside garden in December 2018 when there was a sewage pipe break and a backhoe was brought in. Town land, so they can do what they like, but I was left with such a mess! I still haven't had the energy to face it yet, but your inspiring slope has me thinking…

    Hope you are staying safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Typos a plenty, had to delete and fix.

      Hey Lady!

      Thanks, I fell backwards gardening (of course). Arm is out of the cast. It will be sore for a while, but the worst is over.

      My slope photos come in bunches, when the slope looks pretty good. None for long stretches when it is a mess.

      Yikes sorry to hear you had a disaster with a sewage pipe. Not only losing your plants, but...sewage. Slopes are hard to work on, but they look great when nicely planted. Nothing is in the way of anything else--you can see it all, all at once. Have with fun yours.

      Yes, have been staying home, dear husband able to work from home. We've been very fortunate. Hope you have been as well.

      Delete
    3. I wonder, is your difficult front slope the only selfie-worthy garden in your neighbourhood?

      It does look a thousand times more inviting than the boring low maintenance covering before.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.