As Planting Season Ends And Watering Season Begins

Echinopsis 'Charlemagne'

Gardening here in Southern California shifts as summer looms.   From planting,  the focus moves to watering sufficiently to keep everything alive during summer's dry heat. 
A few last plants purchased and planted.  Removal of some winter/ spring annuals, an experimental shrub, some tired lavenders.  A three and a half hour weeding marathon.  

Lady Flycatcher continues to prepare her nest:
 Boris and Natasha are contributing nest liner.  I put out a pot of their combings, and Lady F. went for it.
Purchased:  two new roses.  I ordered them over a month ago--impulse buy.  They finally arrived. 
Good quality bare root rose, despite the late purchase
Mail order plant companies were swamped with business during the Covid-19 shut down, causing delays. It's very late for bare root roses here.  They are best planted in January to take advantage of our mild winter rainy season.  They will need protection from heat and sun all summer.  
And better protection than this temporary shade/rabbit barrier (Since corrected.  I used a freed-up sweet pea protector):
The other rose is protected by a 'Rozanne':
 The cultivar is 'Sunbelt Savannah', a Kordes (German) cultivar that is said to be very disease resistant and also very fragrant. 
We'll see how you do
A quick trip to a local chain garden center last week--only a couple of customers there on a weekday afternoon.  Everyone masked, including me.  Garvinea Gerbera 'Sweet Memories' and an Arctostaphylos 'Emerald Carpet' for an empty spot on the east slope.  Both planted immediately upon arrival at home.  That felt good.  No angst about where to put them. 
The Arctostaphylos:
  Here's the first 'Emerald Carpet' I planted a few years ago on the west slope near the 'Fuerte' avocado tree (hence the avocado leaves).  Slow grower, but neat, tidy, dense.  So I got another.
Spring/Summer transition clean up.  The last of the sweet peas came out this week.  
 The 'Duet' Dahlias in this same bed were waking up, so the timing was right. 
 'Duet' reappears after her winter sleep under the sweet peas:
Horror, upon removal of the giant seedling Leucospermum.  The flowers were great, growing a Leucospermum from seed was very cool, but the plant was taking over.   
The horror was discovering root knot nematodes were destroying the Leucospermum's root system.  
Nightmare!

Mystery nightmare, because the plant was vigorously putting out masses of new growth anyway, despite the root system pest.  The soil in this bed must now be solarized all summer and left fallow.  Not good.  Not good. 
This is better to think about:
 Dahlia 'Tahiti Sunrise' was "meh" last year, is "wow" this spring:
Removed a browned volunteer lavender and the Maireana from this street side area, replacing the Maireana with one of the Agave ovatifolias from Pam in Austin.  The Salvia lemonii planted a few months ago is kind of not what I want in a Salvia.  Before that, a Tecoma hybrid was a dud there.  It's a hot-hot-hot-dry-dry-dry area.  I have a couple more Leonotus seedlings available--the Salvia's spot would be a good place for one of them.
We had a cool overcast drizzly day yesterday, making it a perfect time to weed the west slope.  For three and a half hours, Hopefully every single weed.  They were not large weeds, but plentiful.  I was unable to get up there until now, as the arm feels better.
Now the slope is ready for mulching, if a few days of cool weather can be found.  The neighbor's hedge needs trimming back, too.  I hoped to get that done today, but am wiped out from the weeding. Tomorrow, perhaps.  
Volunteer seedlings of Lobelia and Trachelium moved weeks ago to empty spots are growing nicely. 
Hoped-for improvement in the 'Perle d'Azur' Clematis that was covered up by rose 'Laguna' did occur.  The arduous pruning of 'Laguna' back in December was worth the effort.  The Clematis are just visible on the extreme right hand side:
 'Perle' was joined by C. viticella; they make a good pair.  'Perle' bloomed first, then the viticella began, now the viticella will extend the show as 'Perle' finishes. 

 'Perle d'Azur' on the left, Clematis viticella on the right: 
This Covid-19 Spring, I've focused on the plants that are already here.  Time spent sitting and looking at various parts of the garden, looking, looking, thinking about how to make it prettier, or prettier over a longer stretch, or more bird/butterfly-supporting or easier to manage. 
Also worked at:  acknowledgement this or that plant is not looking its best due to a lack of attention, and taking action to move, remove, or better care for. 
It's been a different gardening experience.
But just as fun.  Predicted to be close to 90F (32 C) by Tuesday, so the watering will then commence. 

Comments

  1. You've been very busy, not that I'm remotely surprised. Your dahlias, rose, and Clematis look fabulous. Sorry to hear about the Leucospermum. I wonder if birds would accept cat fur as bedding material? Like you I've put in some new plants. All of my last 3 mail orders took ample time to arrive, although at least I knew exactly when the Annie's order would arrive because they specified a delivery date upfront. I ordered plants as a b-day present for a friend and I've absolutely no idea when I'll see it but I'm not currently holding out hope it'll arrive before her b-day does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annies is very organized. I like that a whole lot.

      Cat hair in a nest. Hmmm....she's out there again this morning working. I can see her this moment in the Acer. The coir strands I stuck in the palm tree are gone, so she's been at it.

      Getting too late to plant now so I'm fighting the urge to shop until summer heat forces acceptance of reality. ;^)

      Delete
  2. Our last rain event (which was probably literally the last rain event) was pretty wimpy. Icouldn't even collect anything. Two heat waves so far -this weeks was only 2.5 days thank goodness.I've already had the AC on more that I did all last year I think. I have to say the COVID enforced working from home all spring was very beneficial for weed control. I wore gardening clothes 'to work' every day and could stroll out every couple of hours and spend 5 minutes pulling. Maybe I should tell the bosses I want to work from home every March and April ! The Wren nestlings here are getting louder and louder from their bagpile home in the garage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got 1/10th of drizzle on Friday, which was pretty amazing. I got a 5 gallon bucketful. Washed everything off one more time.

      5 minute sessions are way better, no need for a hot bath and and Advil! Your garden must be extra gorgeous right now. Plants seem to hold up to short heat waves, as do gardeners.

      Happy your Wren family is prospering. May they all end up eating every bad bug in your garden!

      Delete
  3. This post is packed full of stuff I can empathize with. I hate having to water every morning first thing, it seems like my arm has grown into a hose nozzle. But today is beautiful, nice low gray clouds. light breezes. I had forgotten I had root nematodes once and nothing at all would grow; it is now filled in with lantana and Salvia greggii. And finally your focus on a garden that has to be pretty. I totally agree. Out with the uglies! What other reason is appropriate for a garden than to be beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to water, love the sound of it, but $$$$$$$$$$.

      Yes indeed an ornamental garden should be ornamental, and even very mundane ordinary plants, when beautifully grown, are, well, beautiful! A big gardening lesson for me was on a Lotus Land tour when the docent pointed out a Nandina (ho-hum!) pruned into a magical shape. The man who did it was a long long time gardener who said love makes ordinary into extraordinary (or words to that effect). Never have forgotten that.

      Delete
  4. Your spring weeding is good, 3.5 hrs wow. You must be feeling much better. I know your garden is happier with your attention. My cannas didn't survive the winter. I will need something else in their place. Seeing yours blooming makes me want more cannas. I like that rich color. We are having a hot spell. We have had 2 days in the 90's this past week. It feels too early for this here. I am hoping it will cool down in a few days to normal. I need to weed and mulch too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew the canna in a pot and when it went dormant stuck the pot under a shelf for the winter. You could do that and just stick the pot in the garage or where ever doesn't get too cold. They can spread pretty good here so I didn't want them in the ground. Spreading plants--I can't handle them. The rich saturated Canna color--yes, yes!

      We have 2 days of 90 predicted Tu&Wed. :( I hope you get a stretch of lovely mild weather. It's yes too early for heat.

      Delete
  5. So funny to see that gerbera in your garden -- I picked up the orange version of that series locally yesterday, one of my first outings since surgery. I had some marathon weeding sessions a couple months back after the rains but now that it's been drier the worst of the weeds are over. You take care of that arm! Our little sock-shaped nest successfully fledged. I thought squirrels were after the babies, but it turns out it's the purple leaf acacia seeds they wanted. A squirrel sits for hours in that tree crunching away. We had that one day that shot up to 90 last week but otherwise it's been sunny but coolish. So weird about that nematode business on your bespoke leucospermum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those Gerberas. They've done well here. The orange one is a beautiful saturated color.

      Sounds like your recovery continues, which is great. Also good to hear your little birds fledged successfully. I just read that yes squirrels will eat bird eggs and baby birds, so lucky yours fledged! (Not a squirrel fan, because avocados.) It's been a good year for birds, that April miracle rain we got did wonders.

      I will take care of that arm, it keeps reminding me to.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.