Eucalyptus 'Moon Lagoon' Five Years Later And Other Stuff

Fast growing 'Moon Lagoon' at planting in July 2015

The "adult" foliage is starting to appear about a year later--August, 2016.  It is the yellow corona around the silvery juvenile foliage: 

November, 2020.  It needs a trim.  I should have carefully staked it as it grew, to keep it growing vertically.  I did not.  It leaned.  A lot. My bad.  


Trimmed it back: 

I like this shrub more than I expected to.  When it rains, the tips of the leaves hold on to drops of rain and the whole shrub sparkles, as if drenched with diamonds.  Magical when wet.  


Closer examination while pruning led to new discoveries.  Looking up through the foliage is enchanting:

Looking through the foliage is enchanting:
Some of the branches are gold:
Some branches have peeled, creating interesting patterns. 
Some of the branches are red:
Some are red and gold:

Blue juvenile foliage scattered throughout:

No irrigation, no fertilizer, no bugs, no disease.  Little effort.  

Muddy thumbs up!

Other things.  Finally enough cool weather to enclose the former dog kennel with hardware cloth.  This will enable the growing of tomatoes next summer free of rodent damage.  The rodent population plummeted this year due to remove of the Italian Cypress, but I expect they will find other plants to hide in.  

It's taken several days.  The hardware cloth is hard to handle.   Yet another project that was delayed from last winter because of the broken arm.

A "grape" tomato is still producing fruits in the kennel,  I may remove it soon and try carrots, or like last year, plant onion starts.  The onions are ready to harvest about the time tomato plants can go in.   

The entire kennel, including the roof, will be screened in, because rodents can climb and get through the chain link. 

Happy to have that close to completion.  

Winter light streaming through Leucadendron.

 November light is beautiful, without summer's harshness.  The mornings especially


Alluring shadows cast this time of year, too.
Sweet pea plants from seed doing well.  The screen protects the tender seedlings from birds, who last year pulled them out of the soil and left them to die for me to be upset about.  Not this year. 

Re: seeds.  Months ago I planted Aloe seeds in this pot.  They never germinated, so I stuck a beheaded Echeveria in the pot.  Then, of course, Aloe seedlings appeared.  I can't remember which Aloe the seeds came from.  Something good.  I would not have bothered otherwise. 

The Iochroma that the Santa Ana winds stripped cut down to a manageable size...

...is already sprouting lots of new growth:

A few of the fall-blooming Aloes are waking up.  A. thraskii:

There goes the baseboard again.  Sigh.  Good thing I didn't get it replaced yet.  Taste good, Boris?  Actually I think Natasha did the damage.  Boris was sleeping with his tongue out and woke up when I took the photo.   

That's wazzup here. 

Comments

  1. OH gosh, I love everything about this post--the Eucalyptus (incredible in every way; I even love the way it leans), the Leucadendron, the way you're using the former dog kennel, the new buds, and Boris. Enjoy all the beauty. We are very brown and gray here now...until the snow starts, and I hope that doesn't happen for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth! Brown and gray--our hills here are, except the areas that burned which are black. But plenty of foliage color in the garden. We are very fortunate here for that. Snow is beautiful too but you must deal with the driving dangers of snow and ice--I don't envy that.

      Delete
  2. Your garden is always beautiful but I agree that the golden light of fall adds a special touch. I'm surprised how much I like that Eucalyptus - I might have to find a spot for one here. I wonder how it'd like my back slope? Re the sweet pea seeds, I should probably follow your example and provide additional protection as at the moment I'm using the same kind of cover I used last year, which was ineffective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though you won't see the Euc. much if it was on the back slope? It's worth looking at frequently. I think it would be able to handle a slope easily. 100% recommend proper staking, with the two supports, one on either side, and the rubber ties in figure 8's,!

      Once the sweet peas get a few inches tall the birds stop pulling them and the rabbits start eating them, ha ha!

      Delete
  3. I am one that tends to let things grow however it wants and then be disappointed that I didn't tend it when it was young. This Moon Lagoon looks good any way you look at it.
    That hardware cloth is difficult to work with. I have been surrounding plants with chicken wire to keep rabbits from eating plants this winter. Much easier to work with.
    I am going to try to remember to do some winter sowing of sweet peas this year.
    Your post has reminded me of this.
    Those naughty dogs chewing on the base boards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the Euc was growing straight, then we had a bad Santa Ana wind, and it flopped over, and I thought "Oh it will straighten out again." How wrong I was!

      Chicken wire won't keep the rats out unfortunately otherwise I would rather use that. It does work for rabbits and squirrels, though.

      I hope you try growing some sweet peas. They are so much fun to give as little gifts. Makes people happy.

      Well the pups are naughty, but...they sure are adorable, too.

      Delete
  4. Our Phoenix autumn sun is heavenly also! I so enjoy looking at my garden gently highlighted by the sun. And, of course, our November sunsets are the best of the whole year. I wait for them during the miserably hot summer days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something beautiful to look forward to in the misery of summer. We've had a few nice sunrises here. Thankfully fall, winter, and spring are longer than summer!

      Delete
  5. the Eucalyptus is gorgeous. We use golden willow to similar effect. The best view of the garden is actually underneath it's shade casting branches looking through the golden stems and shiny leaves. Keeping rodents out is tough. Saw a huge porcupine leaving the garden the other night. Checking the next day found he has almost completely ringed one of my apple trees of it's bark. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golden willow, interesting. Something of the same effect for a very different climate, cool!

      Yikes! Blankety blank porcupine! Sorry to hear that. Plus they are dangerous for dogs, not just apple trees.

      Here the rodents eat our delicious avocados and oranges on the trees, not just tomatoes. GRRRRRR!!!!!!! Big box of rat traps just arrived.

      Delete
  6. I'm with you on the November light, and you captured it beautifully! I was just marveling about it in my own garden the other day... I love your Eucalyptus, and the Leucadendron shot is gallery worthy. Any such tough plant would be worth having these days, methinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tough is good, especially in 2020. Maybe 2021, too.

      Delete
  7. I just liberated my Moon Lagoon from the pot it has been living in for 2 years. I was happy to see it sailed through the 3 frost nights we had this week. I can only hope mine looks as good as yours in a year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might look even better, or hopefully more vertical. Be sure to stake it!

      Delete
  8. That red and gold bark is beautiful!

    I have a bunch of volunteer tomato seedlings in my new rose pots, and no idea where I could plant them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Euc's bark was a nice surprise. Other interesting features besides the silver juvenile foliage!

      What about planting the tomato seedlings in pots? Someone told me they cut open plastic bags of planting mix and planted their tomatoes right in the bags. Punched a few holes in the bottom of the bag for drainage. Their best tomatoes ever.

      Delete
  9. Will the Moon Lagoon do okay in the Central Coast of California? North of San Luis Obispo --
    Thanks for the pictures ----

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Unknown,

      Moon Lagoon is hardy to the low 20'sF -- If your temps stay above that, it should be okay.

      https://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=3247

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.