A Neighbor's Springtime Xeric Floral Display / Mulch Continued

 

Salvia clevelandii, Lavenders, Calylophous, and Hesperaloe.  This neighbor's garden was professionally redone about three years ago and the plants, now fully established, are having a glorious, traffic-stopping spring. 

Looks fabulous!  I so admire the limited palette of four plants, though I could never in a million years limit myself to only four different species of plants.

Meanwhile, back at the mulching marathon, the west side slope is no longer an egregious embarrassment.  My excuse for neglecting it is somewhat legitimate, as it is difficult to work on and the broken arm made difficult impossible for nearly a year.  A lot of weeding was required besides the lugging of the mulch up there.

Photos taken at the end of a long day.  It was getting dark.  (I did take several rests, for safety's sake, during the day.)

Much better.  So happy!

To finish, spring beauty shots.  

Back in the north side gully, Acer palmatum 'Ryusen' ('Ryusen' means "waterfall") has achieved the effect intended at planting about...ten (?) years ago:

This wall is ideal, because it is never hit by burning hot direct sun.  Maybe I should have planted it one more, or even two more terrace levels up.  Intended effect successful?  Hmmm...maybe, maybe not, but at least one can admire and examine the lovely, delicate cascade close up...


One more hoped-for effect seems to have succeeded with a group of Dutch Iris.  This area is in full shade during the winter months and gets direct sun only now, keeping the soil cooler longer.  I thought that being the case, planting some Iris bulbs here would delay their bloom, and it has, extending the brief season of these beautiful bulbs.  The others, exposed to sun much earlier, are all finished for the year.

Have you had success with hoped-for, planned effects?  Or a neighbor with a garden that makes you green with envy? 

Comments

  1. I too love the restraint of the design but could not pull it off because I want too many different plants. I love that cascading Japanese maple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, too many beautiful plants to grow. Your blog offers constant evidence that your garden is fabulously well-designed with many different plants, so you get to skip the restraint.

      Delete
  2. Hesperaloes coming into bloom already?! In my neighborhood, there's only one succulent display that makes me envious. Another garden, which has changed hands 3 times in the last 5 or 6 years, still has some fabulous plants but it's lost its zing - maybe the newest purchaser will make a difference. I love your waterfall maple and you just reminded me that I did the same thing with some Dutch Iris. I'll have to see whether they're going to make an appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Hesperaloe has a bloom stem too. It's the second one in...many years. Perhaps because it was such a dry winter?

      The garden is the garden--no wonder the zing is gone.

      Delete
  3. I love the waterfall effect - it is a great success. Congratulations on completing a difficult, and probably even dangerous, mulching job. Glad the iris did what you wanted them to do - it doesn't always work out that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my attempts at effects are underwhelming. The plants have better design ideas than I do!

      I was very, very careful on that slope, which was why it took so long--days. So happy it's done.

      Delete
  4. Oh, thanks for the spring beauty! Sorry your broken arm was such a hindrance for so long, but I'm glad you're feeling much better. Re: to answer your questions...I guess it's a mixed yes and no. There are certain years and times of the year when I'm very happy with my garden and not jealous at all. At other times, I realize how much more I could do to make it better. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring beauty--there's nothing better. Most of yours is still ahead. :)

      I know the yes/no feeling. I sometimes feel proud of my garden, then I see a masterpiece of a garden, in person, or in a book, and deflate like a busted balloon.

      Delete
  5. Your neighbours garden is definitely a show stopper. I'm always a sucker for yellow. Love the waterfall effect of the maple. Highlights it's lovely shape. We are on/off again trying for Spring. A couple of days of glorious weather and then snow. However, the minor Spring bulbs are really putting on a show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow!??!! It's actually cold today here (cold for here, not cold) after a weekend of 90F. Strange spring...

      Delete
  6. It must be nice to have a garden professionally done (and maintained?), but where is "the joy of gardening" in that! Your west side slope is beautifully done and rather restrained in the number of plants you chose (I love the orange in the background).
    I've lusted over and finally purchased Acer palmatum 'Ryusen' last year, mine still in a large pot. Every time I look at it, my heart skips a beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the owners do a lot of work supporting environmental issues--they take a big picture approach to nature. At any rate the low-water requirements of the plants are far far better than a lawn.

      The orange is California poppies. Because we got almost no rain and because rabbits, very few poppies grew, and the blankety-blank rabbits ate most of the lupines.

      'Ryusen' is a beauty, and quite a tough plant for a JM. I'm enjoying it a lot.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.