Local Tourism , Seen Through Strange Eyes

 

Trichocereus?  It's been there a few years. 

What can you see if you just drive around your own neighborhood, as if you were a tourist from afar, seeing things you've never imagined.

Sweet!  A front yard "Help yourself!" herb garden:

Someone likes to shop for holiday decor yard signs:
As a gardener, all I could think:  "Is that Magnolia planted too close to the house?":
They take care of their lawn, holiday decor or not. 
Will there be a whole different set for Christmas? 
Concrete slab front yard, edge of slab supported by dry stacked block wall?  

Most of the concrete is recent.  I wonder if they realize they've entombed the root system of those 60' pine trees, which appeared to be very stressed.  If they wanted the Pines dead, there are quicker, easier methods.  

A major drawback of living in Southern California that goes completely unmentioned are the number of crappy neglected Jade Plants (Crassula ovata) one is forced to look at. 
Please, please water that.  Pleeeeease?

 Old Euphorbia forced to look at Jade Plants.  

This property had over twenty hummingbird feeders plus many flowering plants and three seed feeders.   Bird buffet.  Hummers were zipping around everywhere, fat and sassy.   The skulls brought to mind visions of a time after human extinction, when birds, trees, and butterflies have a chance to thrive again.
Impressive Furcraea foetida 'Mediopicta', looking a little lonely in its grandeur. 
These people went Full Edible.  Good for them.  What's the point of a lawn?  Holiday lawn signs would work just as well here:
But back to that Trichocereus. 
The lone foundation shrub is unexpectedly tidy, and a holiday wreath always cheers up a home.
Travel as a stranger in a strange land.  What can you see nearby?

Comments

  1. I haven't walked my neighborhood in awhile but I'd say succulents have become increasingly common over the last several years, which is good. There's still too much lawn and in the case of at least 2 homes it seems the owners have deliberately decided to leave the street-facing area empty, although Echiums seem to be planting themselves in one of those front yards. All I could think of when I saw that massive concrete area partially supported by concrete blocks is that it's a problem on multiple counts waiting to materialize. I loved the front yard herb garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As time goes on I think your give-aways of succulent plants to your neighborhood will make a lot of positive changes. That is awesome!

      I see a slow migration to lawn alternatives locally. I wish there was more right around here--the noise lawn mowers make is--not peaceful.

      Delete
  2. I love this post! Everybody should do a similar exercise--look at their neighborhood through a stranger's eyes.

    I feel so bad for that ponytail palm. Confined like that and no water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned I can be a tourist and still go home for lunch. It's all in the attitude.

      Seeing a thirsty plant hurts.

      Delete
  3. I love the "Help yourself!" herb garden; a wonderful idea. It cheered me up a bit, as the other 'gardens' seemed unimaginative. I wish they took inspiration from your front garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked how they just used a piece of chalk for the invite and for the plant IDs. So easy to change!

      Delete
  4. Tacky though it is I love the lawn with all the holiday signs especially the male and female ravens. Someone has a real sense of humour. It is lots of fun walking through different neighbourhoods to see what everyone does. I find if one person starts to garden their front others soon follow. Alas, my neighbours haven't followed my lead so just lots of lawn, poplar and spruce. Boring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the ravens, too. Reminds me of 'American Gothic' painting by Grant Wood. The front yards that prompt the question, "Now why did they do that?" are my favorites. Little mysteries.

      Around here about 1 out of every 50 lawns is worth looking at. The rest are a waste of water and the gasoline to mow them.

      Delete
  5. Fun post, I love doing walks to see what's new in the neighborhood. As for the jade... Andrew and I noticed several tortured specimens during our brief SoCal excursion last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carefully and beautifully grown specimens are not all that much more attractive. Just not a fan of that particular plant.

      Hope you had fun on your excursion!

      Delete
  6. This is such a fun post! I see a lot of similar things around our hood - well, maybe not as many giant succulents. But other than that, pretty similar fare. I have one neighbor that has an entire flower bed devoted to Disney characters - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We suddenly hit a very cold spell but this post really makes me want to get out and walk around. My street has some nice gardens as we all have slopes out front. Lots of daylilies, grasses and Geranium macrorrhizums.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.