Some Of What's Flowering December 2021

  The recent rainstorm washed all the dust away, making everything as fresh as--you know.  For some reason this patch of Leucanthemum flowers in winter, rather than the usual mid-spring. 

While some of the garden looks appropriately bedraggled--it is after all, December...

...the garden still offers flowers.  What's flowering this December?  Mostly roses and Gerbera daisies, plus the usual plants that bloom year round (Grevilleas) and a few others that are more season-specific.

 Salvias for the hummers:

Hummers go for the Iochroma, too. 

Iochroma 'Purple Queen'

  The Iochroma recovered quicker than expected from its hard prune back in October.  November was warm, as Novembers go, though the nights were blessedly cool. 

October 14th:

 December 17th:  

 The late fall blooming Aloes are starting to open.  I'll blog them in a future All-Aloe-Flower post, but here's an example:

'David Verity':

Roses continue.  An example:  'Julia Child'

Drakensberg Daisy, white:
Aeonium with rose 'Bishops Castle':
Gasteraloe 'Green Ice'
Callistemon 'Little John':
Metrosideros collina 'Spring Fire'.  As these shrubs have matured, they have bloomed more and more, now off and on, year round.   
The youngest 'Austin Griffiths' Arcostaphylos has its first flowers, exquisitely dainty:



Fenestraria rhopalophylla blooms several times throughout the winter.  Lovely to see it recovered from my neglect.    In their native habitat of South Africa and Namibia, they grow in sand with just the tips of the leaves exposed, and survive on an annual rainfall of 100mm (<4").

It forgave me!


 'Queen of Elegance'

First flower on Leucospermum 'Tango' showing color.  It will be in full glory in January.  It's the earliest blooming Leucospermum here:

And an Abutilon flower. 
That will do, for now.   I've been planting, chopping, and distributing precious rain water to thirsty plants.  Another chance of rain next week. 


Comments

  1. The recovery of Iochroma is rather mind blowing... not even a hint of hesitation after the trauma. I'm a fan of Callistemon anyway, but 'Little John' in particular is a drool-worthy photo. Fenestraria rhopalophylla grows indoor or out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got about an inch of rain in October. I think that spurred a faster recovery. Rain is magic here.

      That Fenestraria hardy to about 25F. It lives in a pot on the patio full time. A light watering once every two or three month seems to be plenty.

      Delete
  2. Seeing your vigorous Iochroma make me want to try it again, more properly supported as yours is. My Metrosideros 'Springfire' is also getting started and there are buds on my Leucospermum 'Sunrise' this year so it looks like I'll see blooms on it at last in the coming year!

    I'm appreciating how clean everything looks after last week's rain and I'm looking forward to more of that next week (even though my rain tanks are now completely full).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Iochroma needs serious support. The stems are very soft. It's something like a Brugmansia except it does not need nearly so much water.

      Happy your 'Springfire'and 'Sunrise' are starting to get going for you! More flowers!

      I'm emptying my collected rainwater into the plants that need it most since more rain looks likely next week. Digging around in the soil shows it is still terribly dry.

      Delete
  3. There's something about a good rainshower that watering just can't match. Glad to see everything responding so well and looking so fresh! And I always look forward to your aloe-in-bloom pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially since last year we got only 6" total. That's dry.

      Delete
  4. I had always thought that our climate is too hot for Iochromas, but I recently noticed one in a neighbor's front yard. It's easily 8 ft tall. After seeing your photo, I'm tempted to try and squeeze it in somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super-fast quick narrow screen, but needs support. Not nearly so thirsty as Brugmansia. Hummers love the flowers. I wonder if it is cold hardy--the wood is so soft and so is the foliage. But if your neighbor has one, then I guess it is cold-hardy enough?

      Delete
  5. Amazing recovery of the Iochroma - just wow! So glad you got some rain - just in time for Christmas. Nature's gifts..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised at the Iochroma myself. Plants continue to amaze me.

      Yes a wonderful gift, that rain. And more to come, apparently. Drought relief is such a relief!

      Delete
  6. Wow, the Iochroma really made fast progress, didn't it? Everything looks happy and healthy. I'm a huge fan of the various Callistemon varieties. If I lived in a warmer climate, it would be in my garden. Lovely images. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Callistemon provides nectar to bees, hummingbirds, and orioles (among others). So it's not just beautiful. :^)

      The Iochroma recovered faster than I expected!

      Delete
  7. The rain, she is glorious, no? It is pouring here right now! Going to keep this comment very sort, because I've never managed to actually get one through. We shall see. Merry Christmas, HB! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glorious, yes. We're thrilled. And your comment worked! Thank you and Merry Christmas back atcha, Elizabeth!

      Delete
  8. Any amount of moisture is greatly appreciated. Ours is in the form of snow and though it can be a pain to drive in I say "bring it on!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.