The Third Week of July, 2022


'Dracula Dark Angel' Dahlia

Third week of July.  It's been hot, but nothing like the UK, Western Europe, and parts of the US have been suffering.  We warily wait, wondering.  When will our lethal heat wave arrive? 

I've been spot-watering and doing minor cleanups around the garden.  One ongoing project going very slowly is reducing the height of the Pittosporums behind the wall in the veggie/cutting garden.

ON the left side:   

The right tools have been the issue.  Depending on the branch thickness, a pole saw works on some,  while a pole pruner (the kind you pull on a rope to make the cut) works on others.  Purchased a new blade for the pole saw, which enabled some progress.  Still shopping for a pole pruner light enough for me to handle. 

Still hoping to get to something like this, eventually:


Some flowers in the garden worth looking at.  It seemed too far into summer to plant 'Roman Red' Salvia--but it has sent out many new flower stems. 

A couple of Echeverias flowering.  This unknown one:

And the dramatic E. harmsii 'Ruby Slippers', a stunning plant in or out of flower:
Patiently waiting for Zinnias.  There are finally buds!
Alstroemeria 'Indian Summer' still putting out flowers.  The rest of the Alstroemerias have gone dormant for the summer. 
The Agapanthus did not all flower at once.  This is great--it extends their season of bloom.  Another flower stem from Agapanthus 'Queen Mum', backed by the orange dots that are Cuphea 'Vermillionaire' flowers: 
The deep indigo Agapanthus I thought was a species is probably something else, but it is not 'Storm Cloud', because 'Storm Cloud' (I read) is deciduous, and this indigo beauty is not. 

Also a stunning blue, Salvia 'Black and Blue', confined to a large container so it won't spread everywhere and take over, is sending up flowers.  It is a thirsty plant, but ah, those flowers:

Dahlia 'Catching Fire', first flower from tubers purchased this past winter. 
I also rescued tiny sprouts of  'Catching Fire' from tubers planted several years ago that never did all that well.  They are healthy and growing well in a sunny spot.  Perhaps they will flower next year.  

Of the annual flowers experimented with this year,  Cosmos are probably my favorite.  They have a graceful daintiness to them.   Hopefully I can try growing them from seed next spring.


Pondering the changes made to this area several months ago.  The Agaves and Centaurea Ragusinas are all growing well.  There were plenty of spare Echeveria 'Imbricata' so I planted them in curves between the Agaves to fill the space until the Agaves grow larger.  It's the stepping stones that look funny, but they are needed for access.

Dahlia enjoyment and spotted-spurge pulling continue.





Day lilies continue at a more scattered rate than their big show in May. 
New growth on one of the South African Ericas.  It's a relief to see some happy plants despite the heat. 

That's what's going on here.  Just trying to keep everything alive through summer. 

Comments

  1. Your photo of Dahlia 'Catching Fire' made me catch my breath. What a great image. Love the dark foliage on the first Dahlia. They are a gorgeous plant but I just have held off on things I have to dig up and store for the winter in Wisconsin. Had to laugh at the idea that your daylilies bloom in the spring. They are at their peak here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I walked around a corner and saw that Dahlia, my reaction as well.

      Digging up for winter protection is a big, big project and I can understand why it would focus your attention on other plants for summer.

      That is funny about the daylilies! So many plants here sort of go to sleep for the summer.

      Delete
  2. Love the first dahlia. I would buy it just based on it's name. Still lots happening in your garden despite the doldrums of summer. Hard to believe we are mid July already. I have a new bed that is taking sooo long time to get going: first it wouldn't stop raining and now it's too hot to be moving soil and planting. Plants and gardener are languishing in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun name! I thought the flower would be more red because of the "Dracula". It opens red but quickly becomes that deep pinky shade.

      Same here! Plants and gardener not pleased with weather (but grateful it is not worse). I hope you get a break so you can work on your new planting bed. Best wishes!

      Delete
  3. 'Dracula Dark Angel' is the Dahlia that got away from me. I wanted one for a long time, but now the garden is too full... maybe it will work in a pot. Also zone envy seeing the South African erica again.

    It's funny, I never think of Pittosporum as anything bigger than a shrub or a hedge (with very fragrant flower!). It is quite shocking to see it reach such hight.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Dahlia is a very appropriate size for a pot, (just not a clay one that dries out fast). I'd say a 3 gallon or squat 5 gallon would give you a satisfactory plant. It's quite petite so best up at near eye level when it can be examined (and relished) close up.

      There are many Pitto species and some of them are trees, bigger than those tenuifolium selections. P. undulatum used to be often planted here as a street tree but they don't age well and the roots eventually start lifting pavement. They are beauties when young.

      Delete
  4. I saw the title of your post and thought "she's doing a fall countdown" but maybe I'm just projecting my own view onto you. It's uncomfortable to do much outside now but I'm very grateful we haven't seen any 3-digit temperatures here even as so many parts of the world are roasting. I'm angry enough to spit in the face of any climate change denier.

    I love 'Dracula Dark Angel' and 'Catching Fire' is a beauty too. Best wishes with the Pittosporum pruning project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Fall count down exactly what I was doing. Counting the days until autumn. Today there are 64.

      Yes indeed, grateful it is not worse here. Was painful to see the UK suffering such extreme temps, and then the fires, and the terrible wildfires in southern France. We know how bad those are.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous images, Hoover Boo - particularly the shots where you have used a very narrow depth of field. 'Ruby Slippers' is a standout. I love your giant orange bromelliad too - any idea what its name is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Taking pictures of 'Ruby Slippers' is fun. Amazing color.

      That is a particularly orange version of Aechmea blanchetiana. There are one or two named selections ('Orange'? 'Orangeade'??) of it around that appear to have (I'M GUESSING) more orderly leaves than this one. I would have preferred one of those, but this one was inexpensive. Some light, but not too much, to get an all-orange plant. In more sun some of the leaves bleach to yellow. (Hre, anyway).

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that. I have a few bromelliads but have quickly realised that my knowledge of all the various varieties is just the very tip of the iceberg! Fun to discover more about them.

      Delete
  6. Our heat wave is beginning. Today was a miserable one at work and next week will hit 100. I would buy that dahlia because of the name! Is it just me or is the pole saw the most frustrating tool on earth to use? Although, like you said, it does do the job when no other tool will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, boy. Working in the heat is tough. Take care.

      I do have a few plants because of the name. Absolutely HAD to have a 'Darth Vader' bromeliad.

      Oh yes pole saws are frustrating. The branch sways too much, it's tricky to get the right angle so the teeth grab into the branch and cut, twiglets hook the teeth and the saw can't get to the desired branch...I take breaks and only do a branch or two at at time to avoid screaming in frustration. One reason this project is taking so long.

      Delete
  7. Phoenix is an oven and has been for more than 14 days. Today is 115º and the nights have been over 90º for all this time. My poor plants! Love looking at yours, Hoover Boo! I need to see them right now! Next week may get some rain and somewhat lower temps. I am praying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, that is awful. I hope you get rain and cooler temperatures as soon as possible. The plants, the wildlife, those who must work outdoors...all in danger.

      Delete
  8. I love the name of that dahlia,,, 'Dracula Dark Angel'! I've got a very similar one, but I don't think it's got that name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many lovely blooms to be wonderfully distracted with! Good luck with the Pittosporum pruning if you get to do it, can imagine the satisfaction if you're able to attain that shape. Hope you don't get that heatwave, fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a bearable summer so far--keep hoping it stays this mild. Your UK heat wave looked pretty scary.

      I've been at the Pitto for days and days. Getting there...

      Delete
  10. Oh, I like that SA Erica - very cool! My neighbor has a big clump of that same Alstroemeria, and it's truly fantastic! I never stops, it seems. I wish I could grow it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful Erica. I'm happily shocked it is doing okay, considering the soil here is alkaline, not acidic.

      Yep, it's a great Alstroemeria. Happy to have been able to get one.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.