Bloom Day September 2022

 

'Yves Piaget', planted this spring, managed to flower

I was surprised to find as many flowers out in the garden as I did yesterday;  Our brutal 10+2 day heat wave (10 straight days of 90+, an overcast day of 80F, then two more 90's), either toasted plants or shut them down.  

A decent 'Rouge Royale' amidst scorched foliage.  How did it elude damage?

'Princess Alexandra Of Kent' suffered badly from rabbit pruning all summer, but managed to preserve a flower bud that opened yesterday:

A neighbor's Lagerstroemia:

Lagerstroemia 'Ebony Fire'.  I like how this little tree flowers very gradually over many weeks, instead of all at once. 

The 'Dynamite's, however, look very stressed.  I am guessing not enough water this spring.  A lot of their scorched foliage fell off from Tropical Storm Kay's light, steady rain this past week. 

Pentas, this one a cool lavender-pink: 

 The pink Catharanthus are volunteers.  They appeared late Spring.  The red, part of a six-pack of cells.  Rabbits shunned them. 

Looks like this will be the last Agapanthus flower stem of summer.  They were a joy. 
Eriocapitella hupehensis 'Pretty Lady Emily' maneuvering through Lomandra 'Platinum Beauty':
A few more flowers from Alstroemeria 'Indian Summer':
Erica speciosa
This trio of Drimia maritima is now bloomed out...
While a few feet up the slope,  another has bloomed several weeks after the trio:

Aloe reitzii is nearby, protecting her vulnerable center from the recent brutal heat by curling her leaves inward.  Agave 'Mr Ripple' in the background:
More Zephyranthes:

'Duet' Dahlia has been in the garden several years.  It flowered later than all the rest.  The rest are pretty much finished for the year.  Extreme heat shut them down.
Daylilys continue:
Orlaya made a late appearance.  I pulled almost all of them last year.  Still, seedlings appeared this spring:

Just a few Gerbera flowers here and there, but much appreciated.  They held up to heat pretty well:


I'm glad I bought this one.  It's really pretty:
Looking around the garden for flowers, I discovered a bird's nest in the Grevillea 'Moonlight'.  Surely the chicks fledged months.  I hope the parents were successful.  Lots of birds hung around this area all spring and most of summer--no clue which one might have built the nest.
Happy Bloom Day.  It's finally rather pleasant weather again--for this week, anyway.  

Comments

  1. That 'Rouge Royal' rose is a stunner. I love the Aloe bringing up its leaves to protect its crown. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'Rouge Royale' has an alluring fragrance, too. It's a favorite. Never a huge number of flowers, but never without them. Steady.

      The Aloe behavior is interesting. Agaves do the same. When they are not getting enough sun they open wide and flatted somewhat, trying to get the most sun exposure possible.

      Delete
  2. 'Mr. Ripple' looks serenely unblemished by the heat too. Reitzii is the "praying hands" of the aloe world -- love that shot! Hooray for cooler temps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Agave damage that I can tell. There was considerable humidity. Wickensii is doing the prayer--I think they both want more summer water than they get.

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed with the rose blooms despite the heat. How big is your grevillea 'Moonlight'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year the 'Moonlight' was about 10' wide x12' tall, I cut it back last October down to about 6'x6' It's grown back to about 9'x9'. It likes the location. The bees and birds love it.

      Delete
  4. Wow, roses! I'm still seriously considering digging out the original rose shrubs in one area that came with the garden but may wait and see how they respond after our rainy season. If Catharanthus are shunned by rabbits AND self-seed, I'll definitely try those again. With just 2 notable exceptions, my daylilies flopped this year. I'm still holding out hope for blooms from at least a couple of the stubborn dahlia holdouts, however. Did you determine whether that late-blooming Agapanthus is 'Elaine'? I'm pretty sure my navy blue, late-blooming variety is that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they were mine I think I'd dig out the worst performing rose and examine the root system to see what it looks like. Are there any roses in the neighborhood around you? How do they perform?

      I looked for an 'Elaine' to buy--Annies listed it but showed "out of stock" the several times I checked. I'll be looking to purchase it. It would be good to finally have an ID.

      Delete
  5. Wish Agapanthus did well here. I'd buy my namesake as it is a lovely dark blue. The Drimia are very cool. They remind me of Eremerus. Can you grow them in California? Maybe winters too warm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a gorgeous blue Matter of fact, Drimia are our Mediterranean substitute for Eremurus. Winters are too warm here for Eremurus.

      Delete
  6. That 'Rouge Royale' bloom is luxurious—what is the scent like? Love the folded up Aloe reitzii with the blooms exploding above, excellent framing with the agave behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RR has a beautiful "old rose" perfume.

      Background 'Mr Ripple' is looking good these days, and had no problem with our recent heat wave.

      Delete
  7. Wow! Hard to find adequate words for the beauty of your blooms. The roses, in particular, are spectacular. From your photos, you'd never know you've had such a dry heat wave. Stunning blooms and images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you are very kind! I was surprised there was anything to photograph after that terrible heat wave we had.

      Delete
  8. I had both Rouge Royale and Yves at one point before I started to edit out some of the roses. I miss Yves the most-I don't recollect that Rouge did well for me. Pleasant weather here too-which includes a rare Sept rain event ! .33 so far with more expected overnight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RR took years to really get going. Yves the first time my specimen was poor. This one seems much better.

      So glad you got some rain!!! Looks like some places in NorCal did very well. Great news.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.