Move/Rehab/Re-plant/...

Agave 'Sun Glow'
 

 The reminder notes on plant tags made and placed in spring worked out well.  Now that the weather has cooled to the mid-70's F (22-25 C), I've been removing, moving and planting.

Some down, some to go:

 Dahlias pulled to store for the winter.  Iris clump reduced and healthy fans planted elsewhere.  Salvia nemerosa moved in. Hemerocallis removed,  smaller Hemerocallis moved in.  New plant Pimelea 'Magenta Mist' planted.  Mangave 'Kaleidescope' for that empty space?  All mulched: 

Where some of the TB Iris fans went:

Update:  added the Mangave:

Dutch Iris bulbs planted, marked with hardware cloth:

The 'Pink Gruss an Aachen' rose recently pulled and potted is sprouting new growth:

 A spare 'Pink Gruss' and another 'Snowbird' rose purchased, just in case a spare is needed. 

More Dutch Iris bulbs planted:
Tagetes lemonii volunteer spotted:
The Tagetes will be moved to where it can grow and hide the base of climbing rose 'Fourth of July' with a cloud of brilliant golden flowers.  I've grown one here in the past--time to do it again.  Tagetes lemonii is a beautiful plant but a periodic break from it is a relief. It grows big fast. 

To be planted to the left of the beige pot: 

Summer tomatoes pulled, soil prepped and amended in preparation for winter onion crop:
Lomandra 'Platinum Beauty' cut back, dug out:

'Pink Gruss' gets the space?.  Edged with Salvia nemerosa 'Blue Hill', Zephyranthes candida, and the odd small succulent?   

Lomandra replanted where it might survive: 

Sweet pea seeds growing, Stock seeds planted: 
Irrigation repaired:

Three small silvery accent plants purchased.

Another Rhodanthemum, an Artemesia 'Sea Foam'...

...and another try with a Teucrium 'Ackermannii'.  The first one died in a heat wave.  (ackermannii is not a recognized species name, so I enclosed it in single quotes.)

New one planted in what maybe be a better place:  

One more Metrosideros 'Spring Fire' to find and plant. 

There's one well-grown behind the iron fence, one planted in May, happily growing, one empty place (star) to fill:

Walking around the garden in between tasks,  it seems as though what I was after last fall and this spring was successful:  a bit more color this fall to offset the ratty, tired foliage of autumn.  

 

Huh.  How 'bout that?  Something I attempted to achieve in the garden actually worked!

The Ageratum lasted long enough to co-ordinate with the cool-season blue and lavender shades of Graptoveria 'Fred Ives': 

Just a touch of color here and there to distract from summer-exhausted foliage.  Yes!
Happy sight:

Feeds the hummers and bees, too: 
Froggie, don't eat that rose!


Did one of your projects succeed beyond your expectations this year? 

Comments

  1. Froggie is singing! Ode to joy, perhaps. Isn't it great when plan come together the way we envisioned?
    May all the rearranging of this season will be as satisfying.
    In photo 7, what's growing in the pot? (lovely shaped leafs).
    chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my case since the plans so rarely come together as envisioned, even more a time for gardener and Froggie to celebrate!

      Pot contains some cane-type Begonia cuttings. Cutting of same Begonia that rooted faster and grew fast on the left side of the same photo.

      Delete
  2. You have been busy!!! I have also, although I don't have nearly as much to show for it as you do, at least not yet. I got 20 bulbs into the ground at last yesterday but I've got a zillion more to go (many of which are still in the mail). Our irrigation system is (knock wood) working well but that's mostly my husband's doing. I'd give the changes I made last year to the bed surrounding the back garden fountain area a B-minus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno--your "wide views" look pretty darn good. But isn't it crazy fun to be back out there without getting broiled?

      Zillion bulbs!??! That's going to be a fabulous display next spring! :) I got one more package of Iris this morning--out looking for a 'Spring Fire', but no luck.

      Delete
  3. About that Artemisia 'Seafoam,' maybe it has done well for you in the past, but in Long Beach it was very underwhelming. I assumed it was the lack of dormancy or too much heat. Just a FYI. And so funny that you've cut back that lomandra to move it. My garden caretaker did that to mine in Long Beach, and I wasn't sure it would survive a drastic cutback. They do get huge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm not expecting much if anything from 'Seafoarm' (hence a 4" copy, not a 1 gal.) but if it looks interesting over the winter and spring and dies next summer--I'll have learned something.

      Some grower on the internet showed Lomandra whacked back to the ground "do this when it looks messy" -- yep, of course the invaluable San Marcos, what would we do without them! -- see:

      https://www.smgrowers.com/info/lomandra.asp

      Delete
  4. Busy, busy! It looks great, and you are a pro. The roses are luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so excited to see all your good works! Lovely, lovely garden. Thanks for the reminder about Stock seeds. I haven't taken time in the garden in a few weeks except for a brief wander. It's mild still and feeling lucky to still have a few dahlias and zinnias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susie. I've not grown Stock from seed--trying for the first time. If I manage to get a plant or two and a flower or two, I'd be happy. The Dahlias just done here, and one lone Zinnia left, but starting to mildew. It's nice to enjoy the last few, isn't it?

      Delete
  6. To tell you the truth, I haven't spent nearly any time in the garden this year. In fact, I still have damage from the ice last spring that I haven't dealt with, and spring was so long and cold I never got around to get the furniture uncovered - I was so damn busy with work. And then I took off for Sweden for two months. So I think I'll just write this year off, and start fresh next year with whatever survived. Plenty of inspiration to go around - I love the Ageratum/Graptoveria combo. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens to us all--the garden will be there waiting for you. You had that wonderful visit to Sweden--not to be missed! Spring will come again.

      Delete
  7. You have been busy! I like these sort of posts - an insight into the thinking behind your garden endeavours. Perhaps non-gardeners might be surprised that so much of gardening is pondering and planning!
    Your wide shots are lovely, as is the Fred Ives/ ageratum combo. I’m about to plant some annual potted colour - might include some ageratum in there too. Love the colour. Happy fall garden days to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall is our moving, removing, and planting time. It's great fun. Pondering and planning is much tougher, but vital.

      Delete
  8. Your work puts my recent laziness to shame! I so enjoy following your subtractions and additions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I enjoy your travelogues--all sorts of gardens to see without leaving home!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.