Blooms January 2023

Aloe 'Moonglow' 

January flowers.  Very few roses are flowering now.

'Firefighter':

'Pink Gruß an Aachen', dug up and potted, adjusting to the change.

'Queen of Elegance':
'The Ambridge Rose':

'Molineux':

The flowers largely sustaining bees and hummingbirds this month are those of nectar-rich Metrosideros 'Springfire':


Though the locally native Ceanothus macrocarpa's first flowers probably won't be of interest to bees until the plant matures a little more...

...there are signs the plant may put on an impressive show one day.  A one gallon size planted in August of 2021, these are its first flowers:
The three young Arctostaphylos 'Austin Griffiths' are also nectar dispensers:
As are Grevilleas.  Including...

...'Spirit of ANZAC':

'Scarlet Sprite':

G. nudiflora 'Medusa':
'Robyn Gordon':
 'Peaches and Cream':
 'Moonlight' is getting tall again:

Cupheas are a reliable fall-back for the younger and more timid hummingbirds unwilling to provoke dominant males guarding nectar-rich Grevilleas. 
With all the recent rain, the odd Fuchsia feeds the hummers, too:

Gerberas mostly just feed this gardener's eyes:
Gasteraloe 'Green Ice':
Aeonium arborescens:
Helleborus argutifolius:
Protea 'Sylvia', past prime, and this flower appeared long past the main bloom period of early autumn:
A moment taken to admire blooming Agave 'Joe Hoak' and Leucadendron 'Reverse Polarity':

Leucadendron 'Harlequin' decided to go blonde for the winter:

'Wilson's Wonder' is most especially winter magic, lighting up a grey day.  Note the flower stems in Aloe 'Hercules', and the echo of 'Wilson's yellow in the centers of low growing Aeonium 'Kiwi':
The Aeonium will gain pink tones when the sun returns.  (No rush!)

And Aloes.  They are slowed this year by our multiple rainstorms and many cloudy days over the past two or three weeks.  Many showing color  have remained closed, waiting for sunshine and pollinators to return.

Homemade hybrid of A. capitata:


Aloe vanbalenii opening, mingling with Agave 'Mr. Ripple':

Aloe vanbalenii:


Aloe ferox and Aloe 'Moonglow' on the front slope:

Senecio vitalis lives next to 'Mr. Ripple'.  Its small flowers not charming to the gardener, are beloved by bees, moths and tiny butterflies:

Aloe taurii will finally flower for the very first time:
White flowered version of Aloe ferox is looking better.  The Opuntia was fighting with it for space.  I removed part of the Opuntia.
In the back garden, the candelabra form of Aloe ferox:

Aloe hardyi nearly perished on the front slope when it was out-competed by both Aloe cameronii and Agave marmorata.  I pulled what was left of hardyi and replanted it in the back where it has recovered.  A piece of A. cameronii removed to save the hardyi is flowering in the backgrond:

To end the post, majestic A. thraskii:

More Aloes to come through Spring, but this is a good sampling for January.  

And rain!!!!!!!  Wheeeee!!!!!!!

 Update:


 

Happy Bloom Day!   Hosted by Carol J. Michel. 

Comments

  1. So many pretty blooms! I love the grevillea, especially the 'Scarlet Sprite' but I am out of their zone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your roses are pretty and I absolutely love your Aloe, as well as your other succulents. We are in full winter mode here in the northeast, with temperatures in the 40’s, but the Hellebores are blooming! Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellebores are wonderful. I would not be without them. Happy blooms to you, Lee.

      Delete
  3. Happy Bloom Day! Congrats on the rain. All those beautiful blooms, including the amazing roses, in January! I'm so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. Blooms and rain. We're so lucky this January.

      Delete
  4. Everyone in your garden looks happy from the rain. We're supposed to get some this week but I would much prefer snow. Though I am Zone 5, I ordered a Hellebore argutifolius. I decided to take a chance as they are so lovely and I have had a Z6 Hellebore growing here for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow brightens a day much better than rain. I'm no Hellebore expert. argutifolius was my first, and is very, very easy here. The one in the photo is a seedling of the original which I pulled after...quite a few years. The original was tangled in Acer roots and could not be moved, but it gave a seedling to replace itself. Another great thing about Hellebores. I hope it does well for you.

      Delete
  5. Your roses are incredible. Every time I look at them, I think I should just shovel up my sad specimens. I love all the varied aloe blooms as well. The 'Moonglows' I got from Denise were looking sad all summer and fall and, although I think the rain has helped them turn a corner, I see no sign of blooms. My rain total is trailing yours - I just hit the 10" mark this evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you could do is dig up the saddest rose and have a look at the root system. That might tell you something about the state of them all--but they do like water and fertilizer.

      Moonglow took some time to get going here. Not as fast as I expected. Worth the wait!

      We're at 11.18" and now (as usual) it's time to start wondering if we'll get any more at all before November. However it has exceeded all expectations, right? :)

      Delete
  6. There is so much beauty in this post I don't even know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--very kind of you to say so.

      Rain is magic!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous blooms, particularly your aloes and of course the roses too. I'm so glad you're enjoying some rain. Do you go out and garden in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how I love rain! I love being out in it, the drumming thrumming, hammering, plinking, plashing music of it, the sharp brightness of the air when it is raining, the look of everything dripping, the water puddling, running, rippling, splattering...oh how I love rain! I do garden in it, yes, but more to be out in it than anything else.

      Delete
  8. Helleborus argutifolius is the only plant I grow as well, (mine still in a bud). Your garden is a feast to my eyes on this gray January day, in particular I'm loving those Gerberas: gosh, what a color!
    My favorite Aloe has to be the candelabra form of Aloe ferox, not only the color is gorgeous, but I like how full the inflorescence is.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the pictures. A lot of gray for months is repetitive and color cheers the eyes..

      Here we are back to brilliant sunshine, wondering if we'll get another drop of rain before November.

      Delete
  9. Your Aloe 'Moonglow' is fantastic ! I'm hoping mine survives this rainy season. Still, it's great to have a rainy season in which it actually rains . Your blooms are particularly fine this month. I especially love the Aloes and the Grevilleas. Your beautiful 'Pink Gruss an Aachen' made me remember a lengthy thread on one of the GW rose forums debating whether 'Irene Watts' was actually 'Pink Gruss'. I seem to recall that it was one of those rather entertaining flame wars that resulted in a trip to Disneyland for at least one of the participants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss GW. So many interesting characters on the Rose forums, learned so much from them. Amazing the different vibe between the Rose and the Antique forums. Then GW turned into Houzz and I left. I remember threads about IW vs PGG. Every GAA I ever bought or saw locally appeared to be IW/PGG (whichever one it is/was), so finally a couple years ago I got a GAA from Antique Rose Emporium so I could compare my IP/PGG to it. Still waiting on GAA to get really established. It's grown and bloomed but you know how own-roots are when young--the flowers are not quite like the ones produced by a mature specimen.

      A rainy season where it actually rains. Amen!

      Delete
  10. The climactic difference between your garden and mine is never more apparent than in the dead of winter. You're so much further along than we are. I really appreciated all the wonderful flowers you have going right now!

    Question about 'Spirit of ANZAC': Are the flowers really that dark or do they brighten as they open up fully? The photos I've seen online seem to vary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 400 or so miles south, also closer here to the moderating influence of the Pacific, makes a difference.

      That ANZAC bloom was just opening, plus it was cloudy there for a while, so that flower had a much redder, more saturated color. As the flowers develop they turn medium pink/magenta.

      Delete
  11. Your Aloes are wonderful. My Aloe 'Moonglow' is just budded and I have protected them against the frost we have had for almost a week. The raceme will be bent but still going to bloom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-oh, frost! Oh, boy. I think you got a little rain, too? Hope your plants are all okay.

      Enjoy your 'Moonglow' flower--they are so pretty. The photo doesn't do them justice.

      Delete
    2. Yes, like you we got some rain. So needed! We may get frost once more this Thursday night. I can't wait to uncover everything!

      Delete
  12. Lots of lovely flowers enjoying the rain!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.