The garden's Agave parryi truncata spines are never this vividly black
Not used to this: really clean, fully hydrated foliage. A little rain washes off foliage, but several rain events over the course of several weeks really cleans and hydrates foliage to an unexpected level.
Plants I see daily look like they've never looked before.
Leucadendron 'Wilson's Wonder':
Another rain event yesterday; we're up to 8.54" (217 mm) for the rain season.
Abutilon 'David's Choice' has never looked so good It appears to enjoy cool days and frequent rains.
Trachelium caeruleum:
Aloe 'Moon Glow's first flowers are now open:
Even some rare moss appearing on the shady back stairs
And the ridge to the east has even greened up:
Another chance of rain Saturday. We've gotten less rain than the central and northern parts of the state, and we've had more intervals between rains, allowing the soil to drain a bit. I'd prepared myself for another dry January, but so far, no sign of it.








I've got quite a lot of moss too! We stand at 8.23" or rain for the season so far. The photo of your 'Wilson's Wonder' "flowers" made me sigh. The gardener's effort to shear mine into hedges seems to have cost me their January blooms. I ended up giving the largest of my 2 shrubs a severe pruning last weekend because I just couldn't live with what had been done to it earlier. I think it'll rebound - but not until summer when it sports its red-flushed foliage.
ReplyDeleteThose "gardeners" of yours. Naughty! They need a good talking to. 'Wilson' is putting on a great show right now--glowing on a cloudy day. Yours will recover, surely!
DeleteThe moss is a beautiful rich green color--enjoying it before it dries up and turns to dust.
Everything does look happy which is nice as long as you’re not drowning. Watch those mossy stairs.
ReplyDeleteNo, not drowning at all in this part of the state. It's up north that is getting more generous rainfall and more significant consequences. Here we're just thrilled January is not 90F and bone-dry.
DeleteThe moss will be dried up all too soon, but thanks for the reminder it can be slick underfoot.
It's amazing what " fully hydrated foliage" looks like. It makes me think that prolong drought keeps plants in perpetual survival mode. When the rain is plentiful, transformation is taking place. The photo of Agave parryi is magnificent.
ReplyDeleteChavli
The water-rich foliage looks so beautiful--really enjoying it--however long the hydration lasts!
DeleteA. parryi is always photogenic.
"dry January"... I'm hearing that term a lot these last few weeks, but not in the way you meant it! So glad you and your garden are enjoying the rain.
ReplyDeleteNo, that aspect never occurred to me. Hah!
DeleteYour plants always look amazing, but they look especially happy now. ;-) The scene along the ridge is beautiful, too. I'm glad you're getting needed rain...but not too much.
ReplyDeleteUnexpected joy!
DeleteIt is a joy to look at green hills!
ReplyDeleteOh yes it is! I was staring at them just today. A sight for dry eyes?
Delete