Dahlia Abuse/Not Entirely Rabbit Damage And So Forth

 Leucospermum 'Blanche Ito'

 
A miscellaneous things post.
 
#1 Dahlia Abuse:  excepting a few left in the ground, most of the Dahlia tubers sat unprotected in pots out in the rain all winter.  Winter having been so rainy I assumed most if not all of them had rotted.  
 
Nope.  They all appeared firm, plump, and healthy.  Huh.  How 'bout that?  Repotted Friday, it's time for them to wake up and grow. 
Oh, hello!
#2 Ack!  Plant damage is not all from rabbits!  
Undamaged area of rose on the right, areas stripped of leaves center and left.  I put a piece of screen over the damaged areas and leaves are beginning to grow back.
So what's eating them?   The damage is all up high, higher than rabbits can reach.  Something that can fly or climb.  Katydids? Grasshoppers?  Squirrels?  Possums?   Grrrr.  No damage down low in the garden--some satisfaction knowing at least the rabbits have been stymied by the screened in gates.   No apology to rabbits, though.  They've done enough. 
  
Stripped, darn it!
#3 The roses are soooo late this year. 
Normally they'd be finished up with their spring flush about now.  This year, they are just beginning. 
'The Endeavour':
A few hours later.  Plentiful winter rain packed the flower with petals:
'Gruß an Aachen' now three years on from Antique Rose Emporium purchase, has produced a mature-plant looking flower (more petals, better shape).  
Third Year Leap:
Sweet!  Just pinker than expected.
  
Aha!  Next day, reveals GAA's true (equally beautiful) color.  Indeed, it's the real GAA:
Okay!  The answer to a twenty three year old question is confirmed:  what I've grown since 2000 as 'Gru
ß an Aachen' is indeed 'Pink Gruß an Aachen'.  I've long  thought that, but the rose purchased three years ago proves it.   Oh, the satisfaction of fact!
 
'Fourth of July':
'Brass Band':
And that's about it for roses so far--the rest are still in bud, but won't be for long. 
 
#4 latest clumsy attempt at hiding pond pipe:
I've had a potted 'Angelique' clematis for years--trying it as pipe-disguise this year.  Back in 2020, broke my arm trying Nasturtiums as disguise; tried 'Irene Nuss' Begonia in '21-22--'Irene' didn't like the spot--now trying the Clem.  Will get it out of the pot and plant it, should it like the location.  New Clematis 'Arabella', picked up on a Home Cheapo mulch run, is testing the location, too.  Non-nodding Hellebore blooming by the pots:
#5 New Fern Take-Over Attempt in the top of the pond shower.
Resembles the $5.99 Pteris cretica ‘Albolineata’ purchased at Trader Joe's some years back: 
This is not the aggressive Polystichum californicum which some years back completely packed the top of the pond shower.  Then Santa Ana winds knocked the whole shower over.  A memorable disaster that was.  
 
#6 Iris 'Thornbird':

#7 First Peony flower of the year, 'Misaka':
#8 Finally widespread Sweet Pea flowers!  Also late this year:
The garden tour was successful--visitors seemed to enjoy it.  But days later, I'm still tired.  I didn't do anything special to the garden for the tour--only what I'd planned to do garden-wise this year, tour or no tour.  I just did it a lot faster.

Comments

  1. Beautiful shot of that Leucospermum! Dahlias are hardier than you think. Ours make it through a typical western Oregon winter without any major issue. Rain, some freezing temps, snow. I just dug up a clump a few weeks ago to give away. Hope you find the rose nibbler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, did not know Dahlias can survive in Oregon in the ground overwinter. We don't get all that cold here--was just concerned with the rain--we get this much rain only once every 10 or 20 years!

      Delete
    2. Surprisingly tenacious and hard to kill, even in our mucky, wet, clay soil where the top inch or so will freeze solid for a few days each winter.

      Delete
  2. I had three tours last year and it was as exhausting as it was fun. All that socializing and answering questions. I've always wished I could grow Gruss an Aachen, so I am amazed to discover there are two versions. I am a sucker for plant names that have an association that speaks to me. Won't grow things whose names I don't like (any plant named Elvis). Love that Iris #6. So elegantly subtle in color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a long-running discussion on the old Gardenweb Antique Rose Forum about 'Irene Watts' not really being the 'Irene Watts' but actually the pink form of GAA. I remember vaguely some one actually contacted the curator of the rose collection at a French botanical garden who thought with pretty solid evidence that 'Irene Watts' was lost and the rose in commerce as 'Irene Watts' was really the pink form of GAA. I bought GAA from Antique Rose Emporium to compare it with my Pink GAA, and last year bought Pink GAA from another vendor to compare it to my Pink GAA. This is a rose grower thing.

      Yes, some names are just not good plant names.

      That Iris is a trip! Sometimes it is ecru, sometimes grey, sometimes a weirdly wonderful green...you never know what color they'll be--very weather sensitive.

      Delete
    2. "The rose grower thing" is probably just an excuse to buy another rose! Ha! Ha! Ha!

      Delete
  3. Having "firm, plump, and healthy" Dahlia tubers is a good thing! Do you dig them out every year?
    Peony 'Misaka' flower is gorgeous. I don't grow Peony, but usually see the white-to-red color spectrum everywhere; it makes the yellow bloom unique.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I don't dig them out every year. A local botanical guy said dig them up and move them every three years for best results. He said they get lazy after three years in the same place. I don't know about the "lazy", but they do seem to decline after year three, and are refreshed after a move.

      The 'Misaka' is an Itoh Peony which is a hybrid between herbaceous and tree, so different color range. They also don't have the wonderful fragrance of the herbaceous type, but they will flower here without winter chill, unlike herbaceous Peonies.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful blooms everywhere in your garden, HB! 'Blanche Ito' is the Leucospermum I'm considering adding to my front garden if I proceed with the musical chairs approach to replacing the woody Echium 'Star of Madeira' once it finishes its current bloom cycle. As my cutting garden is so far behind in flowering, it appears I'm going to have to resort to starting my dahlias in pots again this year - the fact that I once again have more tubers (some ordered back in August that still have yet to be shipped due to issues with the growers) is another issue...

    I've been seeing grasshoppers since last week. As my neighborhood had a fire 2 weeks ago and a flood (due to a water main break) last week, I've joked that locusts would be next. Maybe I've jinxed myself?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Blanche Ito' has very pretty foliage and a tidy, attractive growth habit as well. As Leucospermums go the plant itself without flowers is quite lovely.

      I started my Dahlias in pots in hopes of getting them going a little sooner. Once it gets really hot in July they kind of shut down. :( I see a grasshopper or two, but there's a pair of Scrub Jays that seem to like to hunt them--saw one Jay flying twist around and grabbed one mid-air other day hooray! Makes up for them planting acorns everywhere.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on confirming the ID of 'Pink Gruß an Aachen'. It's just nice to know, right? Everything looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I just couldn't miss out on a GAA. The pink version wasn't enough, had to have both.

      Delete
  6. I just did it a lot faster.
    Closing understatement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure feels like understatement. I'm still recovering!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.