Yet More May Blooms

 
Roses that were not quite flowering in time for the previous post.  Some are still not posted, but...just lots of flowers everywhere, and gardening to do as well.
 
'Tangerine Streams':
'Tangerine Streams' needs a better location.  The Callistemon are overwhelming it:
'South Africa':
'Sombreuil':
I hacked 'Sombreuil' to the ground in early spring, intending to dig it out.  The rose is surrounded by Clematis and to save the Clematis I left the rose. The extreme hack completely refreshed 'Sombreuil' and its companion Clematis are the best they have ever been. 

Really refreshed:
'Rouge Royale':
'Peter Mayle'.  In my climate best picked in bud stage. On the plant it bleaches and opens quickly to a mess.  In a vase it holds a neat form much longer.  Strong sweet fragrance.  
'Petal Pushers':
Repeats from last post:  more flowers opening from 'Princesse Charlene'
...and 'Molineux':
'Firefighter':

More from Darcey Bussell...

...which was saved by screening the gates:

More open too on Climbing Iceberg.  I like the white and green combo especially. 

'Cinco de Mayo', just opening:
'Cinco de Mayo', open:
Many more flowers open on 'Bishop's Castle':


'Beloved':

Other blooms that did not make it into a previous post:

Sideritis cypria:

Kniphofia caulescens and Salvia 'Waverly':


The varying Iris 'Thorn Bird':

One of Sombreuil's companion Clematis.  It appears to have more than one.  'Jackmanii'? 
Daylily 'Butterscotch Ruffles':
Clematis 'Arabella':
Brodiaea laxa/Tritelia laxa 'Queen Fabiola':
 

This bulb native to northern California produces clusters of little flowers over six or so weeks in late spring.

Leucospermum--it's either 'Carnival Orange' or 'So Successful'.  This is the death rack one I got for 50% off:


Salvia nemerosa 'Blue Hill'.  I've been dividing and moving these around.  They take late fall and winter off, begin growing again in mid-spring, and flower repeatedly from late spring into early fall if cut back after bloom.  Nice reliable low patch of purple in my well draining soil. 

Koi were pretty sleepy over winter.  They are active again now:
Hooray, we'll get some larkspur flowers after all:
Lotus hirsutus:
I impulse-bought a couple of Coreopsis 'Lil Bang Starlight' last November.  They sat doing nothing over the winter but now seem to be waking up.  A little.

I've not posted many pictures of  Leucospermum 'Yellow Bird' this year, but it continues to show off its mass of yellow pincushion flowers:


Mangave 'Gregg Starr'...
...is flowering:

Not the most photogenic way to end a post full of flowers, so thank goodness new TB Iris 'Absolute Treasure' opened this morning.  The soft blue looks dandy with the muted orange of Geum 'Totally Tangerine'.


Comments

  1. I'm not surprised that you needed a second post to cover all your May blooms. Your roses always knock me over, both in terms of how beautiful and prolific they are. Those you have spilling down your sloped areas could be featured in a magazine or a coffee table book. I admire your success with Clematis too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A spring to remember--will we ever get another one so wonderful?

      Clematis is all about never letting them dry out.

      Delete
  2. I also like the white-on-green look of the climbing Iceberg rose. What are those columnar young trees trowing behind it?
    Lotus hirsutus has such a lovely soft appearance. Seattle winter does a job on mine but never quite kills it and it even manages a few volunteers every year. I'm happy to say it is making its annual comeback as we speak.
    Whatever the name, the Leucospermum you saved off the death rack is such a cool find; you are being reworded for your tender care.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are Boxwood 'Green Tower'. Very glad I planted them there--they are working out just right.

      The Lotus is as soft as a kitten.

      Delete
  3. Oh how lovely, your roses are behaving so nicely! I've been gone for a week and mine are flip flopping all over - I need to get on that in the next couple days. KOI! I had no idea you had koi, how fantastic. Larkspur is late this year, isn't it. All of these blooms are so beautiful, South Africa really stand out. Everything is looking so lush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate--some of them are starting to flop here, too. One section of the towering wall of sweet peas has fallen over--arghh! My error on the larkspur--I planted it very late. Will try again but earlier this autumn.

      Delete
  4. I never tire of seeing that Sideritis cypria or the Leucospermum 'Yellow Bird'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Growing Obsession gave me a seedling Sideritis quite a few years back, and it's reseeded just enough to give me a new seedling every year or two. Great plant!

      'Yellow Bird' -- its success here was a surprise and a thrill. Lucky!

      Delete
  5. All so beautiful. I keep hearing great things about 'South Africa'. Interesting note about your 'Sombreuil'. I'm wondering if I hacked 'Lamarque' back, maybe it would improve. I think it is just too tender for the climate here although it did much better in Alabama where winter temps got colder than here. I was just noticing yet another dead cane that needs to be removed. Of course, the other option is getting a new rose to replace it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought maybe 'Sombreuil' had crown gall. Judging by the way it has responded, it's in great health.

      Remove 'Lamarque'? That would mean you'd have to force yourself to go rose shopping. Think you could stand it? ;^)

      Delete
  6. Oh my your garden is glorious right now. You must be over the moon. The roses have really responded to all the rain and are quite spectacular. The 'birds' are also shouting out for attention: Big bird is always a show off and 'Thornbird' while quieter is begging to be admired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's been a wonderful and unexpected thrill. The preliminary forecast late last summer was for another winter of drought.

      Big Bird is yes very big and now there are three of them.

      Delete
  7. Elainehttps://www.luv2garden.caMay 24, 2023 at 6:21 AM

    Oops didn't put in my name again. Bad me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sideritis cypria is one of those I would grow if it were hardy here. I've got Sideritis syriaca but it just doesn't have the same panache.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.