Natural Gopher Control

 

photo by neighbor K.B.

Ardea herodius, Great Blue Heron was commonly seen in our neighborhood prior to the long drought of 2011-2017.  This winter's generous rainfall brought some back inland.  This individual has been stalking the local park the past few days, hunting gophers.  

In the garden, more chopping down the exuberant growth of spring.  Many distractions slow down the process, though.   These Sweet Peas still looks good:

Not chopping this:

The Carpenter bees like the 'Mystic Spires' Salvias.  Other sustenance for them besides the rapidly declining Sweet Peas:

 Which Clematis is that?  It looks different than it's immediate neighbor, 'Etoile Violette'.

 But back to chop, chop...
 

Hmm.  What's eating that particular 'Rozanne'? 
A neighbor saw this on his driveway yesterday:

 photo by neighbor A.B.

Oh my.  Hopefully there are no pea hens around.

 I'm more accustomed to birds like this female Hooded Oriole, nicely camouflaged, drinking agave nectar:

 

Leucanthemum in the sun

 

Across the path from the sun-splashed Leucanthemum, I plan to put foxglove starts or seedlings along the wall, which is shaded much of the day.

I got some of the Zinnia seedlings pinched to make them bushier--something I did not know to do last year.  Making effort for better Zinnias this year.  Unfortunately the Zinnias have not enjoyed the long stretch of cool overcast as much as this gardener has.  They've not grown much at all during the long gloom. 
However, the wee Hydrangea cutting I stuck in the ground last fall has prospered: 
When she's grown up, she could look like Mom:

 There's the Euphorbia tirucallii reappearing as the Sweet Peas decline.  None the worse for wear:
Hemerocallis 'Sabine Bauer' always a little later than most of the rest of the Hems by two weeks or so:
The masses of Sweet Peas engulfed some of the succulents either recovering or growing in the veggie/cutting garden.  Aloe gariepensis looks recovered and could be planted somewhere on the front slope.  It can take a lot of heat:
Some of the other plants covered up by Sweet Peas.  They look decent for the most part, despite being under a mass of foliage for a couple of months.   
I combined all the succulents to one raised bed, to add amendment to the others. 

The piece of 'Provence' lavender moved this winter suffered the most from being under the Sweet Pea mass.  It has a good chance of recovery now:

 Elsewhere in the veggie/cutting garden I was taken aback by the grape vine now living in the tomato kennel.  After great effort, time, and some expense to protect the grape from rodents, look what it did with its first bunch of fruit--grew them through the screening:

Sometimes all you can do is laugh.  The grape vine (and the rain) did give me two successful cuttings.  Here's one:

 I've been working at recycling as much green waste back into the garden as possible.  Chop-and-drop.  I chopped up the Sweet Pea material, filled a compost barrel and spread the rest around in the gully as mulch.  This whole area near the new 'Valencia' orange has several layers of leaves and cuttings now.  The color and texture even out pretty quickly.  Not as attractive as purchased mulch, but environmentally sound:

Removing the Pittosporum had an unexpected consequence.  I now take the time to actually sit down and relax in the garden.  This is a lovely view, especially in the late afternoon when the sun backlights the area.   Sit here quietly for a few minutes and the area comes alive with birds of all sorts.  

The plan is to mass-plant all those Zinnia seedlings around the 'Valencia'.  They seem to be spared by rabbits. 

There's the first Dahlia flower of the year: 

That's what's up here. 
 

Comments

  1. I'm about to embark on chop-chop as well. Do you cut up your recycle material or do you have a chipper shredder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cut it up by hand, and also trim it off a bit at a time so it is already in small pieces--have also used my electric hedge trimmer on a pile of material--that worked pretty well--tedious yes, but I've looked at various small chipper-shredders and they can be unsatisfactory at least according to comments--and one more thing to have to store--what I always wish for is a shredding business of some sort--to be able to hire a guy with enough of a powerful machine to shred a pile of material for a homeowner who can then spread it as mulch or compost it. Wouldn't that be great?

      Delete
  2. The white clematis is beautiful. I've heard the peacocks are VERY loud. We will get a brief visit from orioles in the spring (to the palm trees & hummingbird feeders), they are fun to watch. Good work on all the chopping, my bins are filled to the top just waiting for pick-up day so I can do more trimming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Peacocks are very loud and at night, too. Hopefully it moves on in a search for pea-hens. They can be damaging to gardens.

      Hah! I do the same thing when the bins are full--sometimes if I fill them up fast I have the rest of the week to avoid any garden clean up. If you fill them up right after they are emptied, over the course of a few days the material will shrink enough and you can put more in especially if you leave the lid open and the sun bakes on the contents--my gardening neighbor does that too. Green waste bin strategies for gardeners!

      Delete
  3. "Many distractions slow down the process..." isn't that the truth! I'm glad it's not just me. When my partner assists in the garden, he starts a task and finishes it, laser focused. I'm all over the place...

    The Great Blue Heron looks intense, the Peacock on the other hand: what has happened to its tail feathers? Fat chance he'd attract a hen looking like that :-D (Do you find this bird in general to be a nuisance?)
    Hemerocallis 'Sabine Bauer' is so spectacular, it is very much worth the wait.
    Maybe taking a break in the pergola was an unexpected consequence but a well deserved bonus. A good place to contemplate all manners of gardening thoughts and ideas.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laser focused. I've seen that done, but it doesn't look like it's much fun. ;^)

      I am guessing the Peacock is moulting his old tail and growing a new one--there are what appear to be new tail feathers growing in on the base of the tail (or so I thought). Peacocks are quite prevalent in a few areas in Southern California. Palos Verdes Peninsula, and parts of the San Gabriel Valley (LA Arboretum has a lot). They can make quite a whole lot of noise, are somewhat destructive of gardens, and produce plentiful droppings. This is the first time I've ever heard of one in our neighborhood. I would think (hope) the coyote population would keep discourage them from taking up residence.

      Delete
  4. I didn't realize that herons ate gophers, not that I've ever seen a heron here. No peacocks this year either. I've been engaged in spring cleanup activities too - SO MANY weeds this year! My sweet peas are still in place but I think they'll be gone by July 1st as I can tolerate their mildew only so long. The majority of my dahlia tubers are now in spots where they can spread their roots but I've still got 5 less vigorous plants waiting for the sweet pea venue to open up. I finally got zinnia seeds in the ground too - hopefully not too late. It's warming up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they flip the gopher up in the air and catch it in their mouth and swallow it. So satisfying!

      My SP's will be gone by July too. I'm holding off for the carpenter and bumble bees--saw several at the flowers this morning--it's only right.

      Your zinnia seeds might be flowering before mine! Haha! Mine did zip nada nothin during the long gloom.

      Warming up. Sigh. Well October isn't that far off...

      Delete
  5. Had a giggle over the grapes. If plants had a sense of humour I think they would enjoy themselves immensely thwarting our actions. My sweetpeas are barely above the ground. Severe temperature shifts have not been conducive to good conditions for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know about all plants, but that grape vine definitely has a sense of humor! I still have a few sweet peas going here--the lastest they've ever lasted. Sometimes toast by the first week in May.

      Delete
  6. We gave up on trying to grow berries in our garden. Too much effort to keep the rodents and birds from getting them all. Netting was a mess and I kept finding animals trapped in it. Too lazy to make mesh boxes and other contraptions to cover the shorter plants. We were thinking of having a grape arbor some day to give shade on the back patio, but it looks like we would need to protect that harvest too! Some people always say - oh I don't have any problems sharing our crop with the wildlife. Problem is, the wildlife doesn't care about sharing and takes it all! Growing food is hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Onions are easy. Plant, wait, harvest. The only critters that seem to like onions are humans! Growing food plants is a little different, but it's still gardening. You are in a somewhat rural area right? That makes it tougher because there are that many more critters. It does make a person respect farmers that much more . Tough job.

      I've been told the same thing--plant extra for the critters, but here they may not eat all the crop, but they are happy to ruin all the crop. Grrrr!

      Delete
  7. C. 'Etoile Violette' is sooo beautiful. My zinnias are very late this year. Well, of course, I planted them late, but the cool weather has kept them from taking off. I suspect they are about to get a smack of hot weather soon. Happy Gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got some sunny days, warmer but not hot, and I got a lot of the Zinnias into the ground, and they responded almost immediately. Hooray! Hot weather probably is getting yours going too--now, hopefully the green tomatoes respond as well...

      Clematis are beautiful--they are not easy to grow here but add a special touch so I keep trying. The Viticella types are easiest in my climate.

      Delete
  8. Great blue herons munch gophers? I think of them as wetland critters though, and the gophers here seem to prefer the canyon areas. Time to do a little exploratory reading. You have done such a lovely job on your hardscape, to set the bones of your garden. It's nice to hear that you actually sit and take in the view occasionally. My third-time-is-the-charm clematis has a bud! I'm so excited. Now, if I can just keep it alive through the summer, it may have a fighting chance. The jacarandas seem to have bloomed late this year. May is usually their month, but it is now the end of June and they are still going strong. I know they're messy. I don't care. They're gorgeous and I adore them. A condo development I used to live in had a tennis court surrounded by a very high chain-link fence. I always thought it would make a perfect garden -- just add a top and high raised beds and you'd have an instant protected garden. This has been a banner year -- the May Gray and June Gloom has been glorious. I'm dreading July. Especially since my air conditioner has decided that NOW is the perfect time to die. Of course it has. Elizabeh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.