Foliage 'n Things 'n A Visit To Flora Grubb

 

Xerosicyos daguyi apparently impervious to reflected heat, has tough foliage.
 
It's the foliage that is part of what makes the garden look good this September.  All due to double our average rainfall this season.  Much foliage that needs a chop back before fire season, and so the veggie/cutting garden gets some winter sun.  Must gather my energy, and go to it, starting on the next cool day.
 
Foliage in Tropical Corner, the space I've got for plants like this, looks good.  A soaking from TS Hilary didn't hurt.  I added the pink leafed Billbergia plant this week. 
The Billbergia, which may or may not be a cultivar or selection called 'Hallelujah', came from Flora Grubb nursery in Marina Del Rey.  A garden-buddy and I went there.   It was a 50 mile+ (one way) journey through LA  that was half three mph stop-and-go, half Indy 500 at 65mph with cars driven 90mph weaving in and around the "slow" vehicles.
 
The nursery was well worth visiting.  Many beautifully grown, fresh, healthy Proteaceae and Agaves at reasonable prices.  Employees were friendly, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic about plants.  And there, to be asked.   If it were closer I'd be visiting frequently.  My only wish:  more interesting Aloes--though there may have been some and I just missed them.
  
Where are the photos, you ask?   Didn't take any.  Sorry.  Plenty no doubt on Instagram.  I was busy looking and shopping.  And rattled by the drive, to be honest. 
How about a Billbergia closeup instead?
Finding the nursery entrance was a little tricky.  Coming from the 90 going west we had to blunder our way south down PCH, U turn then right turn onto Mindanao and another right into the parking lot. A left to get back to the 90 East.
 
As to other things, morning light is losing summer's harsh quality.  Light inside and outside the house casts interesting shadows.  Bleached out colors are no longer so bleached.

 Cool air drifting in just after sunrise.  Ahhhh, nice:


Light turned a white orchid gold:
Perhaps because of years of drought I've neglected non-succulent, green foliage because it was so often scorched, yellowed, or otherwise damaged.  Not so this year.  The Boston Ivy that functions as a vertical lawn--a soothing swatch of green--is looking better than any lawn can here in SoCal unless you are willing to spend a fortune watering it. 
It hides neighbors, too:

Multiple un-scorched greens edge this path, with blue and white accents:
 Much to admire, before I chop.   Do you cut back a lot at this time of year? 

Comments

  1. I hope to visit the new location of Flora Grubb when we next visit family down that way. Your garden looks fantastic, no cutting back here... instead I'm starting to think about moving things for the wet season ahead. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FG is very much worth visiting!

      Ah, the Big Move approaching already? Oh, boy that is a project. I hope it goes well for you--and that some warm enough weather hangs on longer in your area.

      Delete
  2. That fast weaving through traffic is a phenom that started during the pandemic and unfortunately never disappeared. When I visit I'm always shocked at the amount of racing that still happens on the freeways even though they're back to normal traffic. Nice to know you found the prices reasonable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was always a weaver to be seen, but not dozens as there are now. It was scary.

      The prices for the Grubb-Nadler grown plants (Vista area) were lower than Roger's and Armstrongs and the quality was very high. They did have some ridiculously expensive wildflower seed packets, though. $14.95 for a small packet of seeds. Hmm...

      Delete
  3. A few new (to me) vantage points in your photos today, I feel like I'm exploring it from a different angle. Like shelfs to the left of the water feature... need a close up of the pots :-D
    That Xerosicyos danguyi is a cool looking plant!
    The Billbergia is gorgeous. What an effort to get it! I love the lobed tropical looking leaf to its right.
    I don't cut back anything unless it's finished for the year, and even then, most clean up in my garden is done at the end of winter.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plants there there are looking better because I've been paying them a little better attention, so I could probably post a photo without too much embarrassment. The more that are going to be happy in the ground and I get moved, the better the remaining always petite growers will be cared for.

      Ah, climate. Different approach when there is frost and the effect of leaving seed heads and such that look good frosted--the Piet Oudolf thing is very cool.

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos, HB. The Xerosicyos surprised me and now I need to find a spot for one. I'm sorry the freeway trip to MDR was nerve-wracking - I'm lucky that I can take a more leisurely drive to the FG nursery along the coast (although I usually go home via the freeway). Was the massive RV still in the parking lot?

    I started cutting back Salvia 'Pozo Blue' yesterday until the heat got to me and I gave up - I hope to finish the job later this week when it's (hopefully) far cooler. I noticed that my Melianthus major is dropping small branches on its own so it's time to tackle that too. I've also started cutting back the Osteospermums in preparation for their fall flush of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I should mention the Xerosycyos likes a lot more summer water than I thought. It ended up there because it came close to dying in a couple other locations that were very dry. It's winter dry-dormant/summer water, though with sharp drainage and the reflected heat from the wall it did fine in our rainy winter.

      PCH would be a nicer drive, for sure. No RV in the parking lot.

      Yes it was HOT yesterday. I hurried to spot water in the early morning then the heat chased me back indoors. Better today, even better tomorrow. Osteospermum refresh--they'll be so pretty again soon. Enjoy! :)

      Delete
  5. Your garden is looking absolutely lush. I am really enjoying the longer views and all the shadows in these images. Alas we’ve had too little rain and too much hot weather for my garden to be photo worthy at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a big deal after so many dry years. The sight of dying trees for years--it hurt!

      No good rain yet!?? That's discouraging. Sorry to hear that. It's been a rough summer in so many places this year.

      Delete
  6. The very green lush path shot is so perfect. Our Flora Grubb Gardens (San Francisco) always feels like such a fight to get to, I haven't actually visited. One of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days going anywhere seems like a struggle. Crazy traffic.

      Delete
  7. That Billbergia is mesmerizing, like the telescope photos looking out into space at distant galaxies. I love the gentler light that this time of year brings. Your post has inspired me to go out in the yard and snap a few photos of each area to puzzle over this winter - see what is working and what isn't in late summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of a night sky with stars as well when looking at the Billbergia leaves. They are fun.

      It's a good time for a thoughtful survey to see what changes will improve the garden before summer is over.

      Sorry for delay in answering. Have been unable to comment for days--blogger has gotten weird again. It kept saying "unable...try again later." :(

      Delete
  8. Would love to know how the Marina del Rey location of Flora Grubb compares to San Francisco? Will definitely stop there the next time I'm in the Southland.

    That Billbergia is so striking! I don't think it's 'Hallelujah', it's too dark. Whatever it is, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I only visited FG in SF once, at the 2013 Fling. Compared to that the MdR location seems much bigger with more stock. :) Definitely worth a visit.

      They had two groups of Billbergias of very similar look--some of one group was marked 'Hallelujah' and some were marked 'Bob' and some were not marked. Not sure what it is, but--that's okay.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.