State At The Start Of September

 Eriocapitella x hybrida 'Pretty Lady Emily'

Our heatwave has passed, and a few days in the 70'sF/~25C are ahead.   The garden is somewhat disheveled because it was too hot to do much except water, but for the beginning of September it looks remarkably good. 

Protea 'Sylvia': 

The marigolds held up to the heat. 

Mangave 'Kaleidoscope' is flowering:

There's the flower stalk:

Lots of colors despite a very hot August. 
This potted Agave 'Stained Glass' has functioned well as a hose guide.  All the spot watering meant a lot of hose dragging around:

A few days ago this Hydrangea flower head was a rich wine red.  Now it's smokey purple and muted aqua. 

I got a board to mount the Tillandsia clump a neighbor gave me.  I draped the clump over a rock underneath the 'Oshio Bene' Acer so it would get some humidity in the meantime. 

Tiny purple flowers are emerging:
'Cafe Au Lait' Dahlia--this one is more Lait than Cafe.
April is the usual time for Hippeastrum here.  This one wasn't in a hurry:
One thing  I could do outdoors: on the shaded patio  prick out and separate Calendula seedlings to one-per-cell. 
Hmm.  Those make a nice pair:  Rhodanthemum with Echeveria 'Imbricata'
And another dynamic duo,  'Tamora' with Salvia 'Mystic Spires Blue':

The same Salvia also works with 'Iceberg' rose:

Another surprise probably due to the rain from Tropical Storm Hilary:

Was not expecting this:


A volunteer tuft of Carex testacaea is in my favorite stage at the moment:  substantial, but without the extra long leaves it develops as it matures.  Maybe I'll try trimming it as the leaves lengthen, to keep this most attractive appearance:

 Dahlias--not their year, but that's okay.  'Catching Fire' finally produced a flower, but the tips are all chewed off by--something. 

'Holywood 'Holyhill Spider Woman":
This one doing its color-variation thing:

'Burgundy Iceberg' with a background of unfocused Zinnias:

 The roses are doing something unexpectedly wonderful this year, but I will hold off mentioning it until summer is over, because I don't want to jinx them.  

'Souvenir de la Malmaison': 

Zephyranthes candida heralds autumn:

The garden and 'Pretty Lady Emily' are having a heck of a good year.  Wasn't expecting this at all. 

Update:  0.11" of rain overnight!  Forcast was 20% chance so I didn't take it seriously


The pups are doing okay.  Boris has poodle-leg from a dental cleaning and x-ray at the Vet's.  

"Ha ha ha my Human!  Poodle leg!"

Natasha takes the opportunity to smell Boris's toes. 
I don't know why, either.  

With cooler weather, there's more to do in the garden than just take pictures of flowers. 

Comments

  1. Aeonium schwarzkopf, cactus bloom, shadow... perfect!
    I also give Carex testacaea haircuts, usually when it develops the extra long seed-heavy "hair"... I like the shaggy look, at least for a while, but I try to discourage all the volunteers.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well I'm going to try that then. Here it being much drier I just get a few seedlings--just enough to replace the old ones. Constant refresh that way and move-arounds to different locations. Fun!

      Delete
  2. Hahaha, Natasha & Boris are so cute! The Zephyranthes are beautiful, and Mystic Spires is the perfect accompaniment to just about anything. Any idea what is chewing up the dahlias? I have grasshoppers (I think) chewing up my Australian grass tree which ticks me off. Also a banksia, which seems like an odd tough choice to chew. Maybe earwigs? I need to put down some sluggo plus and spray some neem to see if it helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right 'Mystic Spires Blue' seems to go with everything.

      My guess on the Dahlia chew was grasshopper or katydid. Banksia getting chewed that is a surprise the Banksias have quite tough foliage. Mine never showed any damage until they decided to drop dead (sigh). Earwigs here go for low, soft moist stuff like New Guinea Impatiens here. Good luck in figuring out the culprit.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful collection of photos, from the chicken pot to the sweet photos of Boris and Natasha. You may make me a marigold convert of me yet! That Hydrangea is impressive, as are the cactus blooms and the 'Spider Woman' Dahlia. (I'll have to look for that next year.) Mangave 'Kaleidoscope's' flower stalk is remarkably tall for the size of the plant.

    Congratulations on the rain! Just 0.04" of rain here thus far but we're completely socked in this morning so it's possible we'll get more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't expect the Marigolds to be such champions of toughness not just constant orange color. It's good to experiment. Yah the Mangave is way above my head must be 9 or 10'. The rain did it! Sorry mistake on name its 'Holyhill Spider Woman' not Holywood. I fixed it in the post.

      Boris got me up at 3:25am to go out--I take them out and they get their misson accomplished and right as they run back in the house it started to POUR rain. Came down in buckets for about a minute and a half and that was our 0.10". I was actually glad Boris woke me up, so I could see it.

      Delete
  4. It definitely does not look like the end of summer in your garden right now. All the rain has kept things looking fresh and lush. I do so enjoy your photos. They are almost too good to be true. Love that little bird pot with the marigolds. So colourful and sassy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for delay in comment--can't seem to log in to comment. Has been an off/on problem for more than a week.

      Thank you for your kind comments on my pictures. So happy you enjoy them!

      Delete
  5. And more rain, even if only a little, is welcome. I am imagining that the roses must smell wonderful, something I would have to stop and enjoy every day in the garden if I had any in bloom. Also love the combination of the Rhodanthemum/Echeveria combo. Has me wondering if I could recreate a hardier version with Artemisia and Sempervivum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off/on problems commenting as me--this time it worked, maybe? Sorry for delays

      Scents of foliage and flowers an important thing for me in the garden, roses and lavenders especially favorites but other plants, too. Myrtle foliage has a beautiful fragrance. I think Artemisia and Sempervivum would be lovely combined--give them a try! To experiment is to learn. :)

      Delete
  6. We got rain here, too. If I remember correctly, it was late afternoon. I looked up from my computer and saw raindrops, from out of the blue (literally!). Totally unexpected, considering our deluge from the storm, but welcome nonetheless. Your zephranthes are charming with their little white faces. Love the marigolds in your Talavera pot. It took quite a while for marigolds to grow on me. I was never fond of their odor and they stained my fingers; but, critters don't seem to like them either, they last a long time, they're easy to deadhead, they hold their color, and are not waterhogs. I learned to like them. Not everything can be a rose. Cacti don't bloom often, but when they do, wow! And the brand-new love of my life, your hydrangea, just keeps getting better and better. Aqua, in a flower? Who would have thought? Your babies are beautiful, and so darned cute. May they stay healthy and sassy. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Off/on commenting problems, sorry for delay. More rain, it was awesome, yes! Even a little does magic. The Zephyranthes is a great little bulb, I recommend. Marigold scent yes it's not lavender, but is natural. The Tagetes lemonii Copper Canyon Daisy is very strongly even powerfully scented, but in small doses it's okay too. The rabbits not liking Marigolds is a big, big plus. They also don't seem to like Zinnias at all.

      Delete
  7. Calendula seedlings...wow! The dogs are so sweet. Poodle-leg; I'll have to remember that when my poodle mix has a similar treatment. ;-) Love both the 'Pretty Lady Emily' and the 'Sylvia.' And the roses, of course. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have never grown Calendulas, so this will be interesting. No idea what they will do.

      Poodle-leg is quickly turning back into Samoyed leg--it's winter coat growing time! Even though winter here is "winter", not real winter.

      Delete
  8. My calendulas reseed prolifically and seedlings pop up whenever we get any measurable rainfall. Every time you mention rhodanthemum, I search madly (but fruitlessly) for where to get some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wholesaler for Rhodanthemum I've purchased is either San Marcos Growers or Native Sons of Arroyo Grande, CA. Many local retailers here stock their plants. Dancing Oaks of Oregon (mail order) lists it as one they sell. The plant is aka Pyrethropsis hosmariensis. I have gotten a single volunteer plant that volunteered from seed; a few from a stem that rooted which I transplanted and babied until it got going. I should try them from seeds, then I would know if they work and could send you some seeds. The plant is hardy to mid 20'sF/-5 to -10C.

      Thanks for your experience with Calendulas reseeding--maybe that will happen here!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for those references. I know Armstrong stocks Native Sons plants, but the mix is unpredictable. Will ask if they can order for me next time they're available. Any mail order offerings are out of stock at the moment but I will check again.

      Delete
    3. Sure. I've gotten Rhodanthemum at Armstrongs, but just as you say, unpredictable as to what they'll have. --hb

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.