Grevillea 'Peaches n Cream' flowers nearly year round.
This November the Aloes are late. Besides an unknown hybrid from the previous post...
...Aloe hemmingii is one of the few with flowers today:
This species is native to a relatively rainy part of Somalia, and needs regular watering.
December looks more promising for Aloe blooms this year. Other flowers must suffice for now.
Fatsia japonica 'Spider Web'
Salvia 'Mystic Spires Blue':
Preying Mantis with Hemerocallis 'Bella Sera':
Lobelia erinus:
Rose 'Snowbird':
'Easy Spirit':
Beautiful roses this November--they are the stars this month.
'Belinda's Dream'
'Easy Spirit' again, this time in bud:
'Brass Band':
'Easy Does It':
'Julia Child':
'Charles Rennie Mackintosh' having an intimate chat with itself:
'Bishop's Castle':
'Burgundy Iceberg', the light hitting it just so:
Fourth of July for the Fifteenth of November:
Other flowers besides roses: Lavender Pentas with Gerberas in the background:
There's the Gerbera:
Red Pentas:
Pink Gerbera:
Tagetes lemonii. The intensely saturated yellow-gold of the flowers do not come across in the photos--the color grabs your attention and holds on tight:
Protea 'Claire' 's flower isn't much different than 'Pink Ice's, though the growth habit is vertical, rather than sprawling.
Another November Hemerocallis
Hydrangea 'Bloomstruck's November color is deep red:
Hydrangea 'Miss Minipenny' fades to chartreuse and pale reds, but also continues to flower. Some plants just don't know when to quit.
Happy November Blooms!































I initially got interested in gardening through roses, so your post today has me in heaven. I only managed to grow a good rose once and I was too new to know that I should have taken a cutting from it to my new garden.
ReplyDeleteRoses got me interested in gardening also--that and strawberries. They are easy here compared to most other places. Happy you enjoyed the pictures!
DeleteRoses in November! From the pink-orange sorbet colored 'Easy Does It' to the creamy 'Easy Spirit', it seems so unbelievable to me, on this chilly Seattle morning, where temps are in the low 30's.
ReplyDeleteMy Fatsia 'Spider Web' is blooming, kind of. It's a race to see if the flowers open before first frost... 'Spider Web' often loses.
Hydrangea 'Bloomstruck' has turned into a gorgeous deep red. Wow. Ever tried adding it to a holiday wreath?
Chavli
November often produces the best roses of the year here--warmish days, cool nights, no thrips, no aphids. 'Bloomstruck' is new this year, but dried and added to a wreath is a clever idea!
DeleteHoly cow! All the roses are gorgeous but 'Easy Spirit' is luscious. The gerberas are pretty, I wish I had thrown some in this year. My Grevilleas definitely do not bloom year round. Do you think that is so from being zone 9b?
ReplyDeleteThe new-ish Garvinea line of Gerberas have been outstanding garden plants here. They do stop flowering when it gets really hot. Have you tried 'Superb' Grevillea? Mine never stops. 'Robyn Gordon' and 'Peaches and Cream' are quite constant as well. 'Moonlight' has been non-stop here as well. Not all of them are non-stop--the ones derived from G. rosmarinifolia and G. nudiflora are winter/spring bloomers only here. Could it be because the summers here are not as hot as in your area?
DeleteOk, good suggestions. I have seen them around here in bloom, maybe not as everblooming as yours -I think I must have the wrong variety. Thank you!
DeleteWow, your Aloe hemmingii looks so different from the one I just acquired (shown in Monday's blog post). Good to know about the watering. Is Protea 'Claire' caged to keep away from nibblers, or?
ReplyDeleteYour plant looks like hemmingii to me--my guess the difference is the growing conditions. 'Claire' got a cage to keep it from flopping when it was first planted. The vertical (so far) growth habit was a nice surprise. 'Sylvia' and 'Pink Ice' flop every which way. The rabbits do not touch Proteas--the foliage is leathery and water-poor, the opposite of lettuce! -- hb
DeleteSo MANY roses! Some of my Aloes are blooming but such is my limited experience with the genus, I thought they're coming on early. Just after I finished my Bloom Day post, I noticed that my Aloe lukeana is starting to bloom for the first time - hopefully, it'll beef up further. The preying mantis did a great job striking a pose.
ReplyDeleteHave been enjoying the roses so very much.
DeleteI'll have to go look at my lukeana, but it's in a very dry spot, so not expecting a bloom this year. The past day or two stems are appearing on cameronii, hardyii, and 'Moonglow', so Aloes are on their way! We're at .58" of rain--more than I expected, and a chance of more. --hb
The roses are stunning. Mine are almost all gone for the year. Very nice shot of the daylily and the praying mantis!
ReplyDeleteIt's been a good year for roses here--happy to have one again after the trials and travails of many drought years. Praying Mantis are amazing--and they eat rose pests! --hb
DeleteThe garden is looking very colourful. Do so love all of your roses. I am especially partial to the orangey/peach colours. I have Aloe hemmingwayi in a container which is just finishing blooming now. The blooms are okay but it's those gorgeous striated leaves that grab you.
ReplyDeleteAgree about the peachy roses--some of my favorites. Paired with pale lavender--just yummy. Have several excellent yellows--my least favorite rose color--but they are so very, very good I enjoy them anyway.
DeleteAgree also about hemmingii's foliage--the super glossy surface intensifies the contrast between the white and green. The flowers are quite nice being one of the few Aloes in the pink color range. -- hb
Great pics! Well, you know I love the roses. I can't pick a favorite: your collection is impressive. And then it's great to see the Aloe blooms. The praying mantis shots are excellent, too.
ReplyDeleteI love the roses too, and can't pick a favorite either. Since I've whittled down what's in the garden--they are all favorites by now.
DeleteHonored and happy to have the mantis around--that means the garden is pretty healthy, providing habitat for many little critters. --hb
It's like spring in your garden! I don't grow roses, not good at it (except climbers I ignore, and one that was here when I moved in), so enjoy seeing yours.
ReplyDeleteThank you Lisa for having a look at the pictures! SoCal's autumn is a "second spring" as many plants that slow down in the heat perk up again in the mild days and cooler nights of October-December.
Delete