A Sudden Garden Emergency

 

The sky seemed ominous yesterday morning

A sudden garden emergency.  Coming home from our dog walk yesterday, I noticed something was wrong with Agave gentryi 'Jaws'.  The base of several healthy leaves was strangely wrinkled, and the older leaves were flattening, leaving a central cone of leaves prominent and isolated.  

 

Just a few days ago, the rich green leaves of 'Jaws' looked fine:

Until suddenly they didn't.  Uh oh.  Could it be the dreaded Agave snout weevil?  I jumped on it--retrieved green waste bin, shovel, and pruning saw and started cutting.   A sharp odor of rot emerged from the Agave as I chopped.

Yes, Agave snout wevil it was.  Drat.  I got the entire Agave, including the rotting crown, into the bin.   Two grubs and a half dozen or so beetles tried to escape.  I crushed them all with the (gloved) ball of my thumb and stood for several minutes watching the soil for any movement.  Bingo:  two more beetles appeared.   Crushed, with extreme satisfaction.  They make a loud snap when crushed.  More watching, more waiting.  Nothing.   Then carefully sifting through the soil--one more.  Crushed.  Then more watching.  Then more sifting.  Then more watching.   No more weevils seen.  

Since I was working the area anyway, I did what I'd planned to do with the area after 'Jaws' flowered and died.  'Jaws' never got to flower, unfortunately.   I moved the Aloe wickensii that has never been happy over and up the slope about three feet.

It's the reddish Aloe on the far left:

Then, added three Aloe burhii (circled) re-rooted this summer.   The fourth Aloe burhii (top one circled) was already planted on the slope.  Although rain threatened, and although a fine Agave was lost to a terrible Agave pest,  it was lovely to be out there.  Now every Agave (and Yucca and Dasylirion?) in the garden must be treated with a systemic insecticide to stop the spread of the weevil.  Needs must.  Work the problem.  Keep calm and carry on. 

Solace found in noting seedling growth, like that of  seedling-of-Leucospermum 'Tango':

As well as seedlings of Matthiola (Stock) that initially didn't look like they would survive:


Solace to be found also in new Aloe flower stems arising,  and earlier emergers coloring up and opening.

'Moonglow' with the white-flowered A. ferox in the background:

A. rubroviolacea:
The reddish ferox there with stopped-for-the-winter Agave parrasana flower stalk just visible in the far background:
White ferox with a background of Opuntia microdaysis:
A. capitata unknown hybrid grown from the garden's own seed:
A bit of the front slope with A. lukeana foreground right.  It's in a dry spot--perhaps too dry for an east African Aloe--no flower stem yet.  Alluaudia procera and "silver dollar jade", Crassula arborescens, also in the photo:
Aloe 'David Verity''s flowers turn from red to a pale ivory-yellow when they open, providing a dramatic contrast:
A. cameronii with A. hardyi in the background:
A. thraskii opening and attracting bees:
Even when there are serious garden issues, other parts of the garden still bring joy.  Have you noticed that too?  

Comments

  1. Never saw my 'Jaws' flower either, but removed it because of size and crowding. But snout weevil! Oh, noooo...no evidence of it yet in my LB garden. With vigilance like yours, we just might beat it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a disappointment to say the least. Stay vigilant they are nasty bugs.

      Delete
  2. As our gardens grow more mature, the losses generally don't feel as dire. You have the most glorious collection of aloes! Best wishes for ridding your garden of any sneaky agave weevils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a vast Aloe collection but do have some favorites, and they are not just ornamental--bees and hummers benefit too.

      Gophers, weevils...it's always something!

      Delete
  3. The weevil story is so sad... and all under the watchful eye of the Dasylirion.
    Finding a Leucospermum 'Tango' seedling is a better garden surprise, and I wonder: what's the gorgeous variegated plant next to it?
    I love it when Aloes get a little winter blush, like A. moonglow and A. rubroviolacea: photos 7, 8 and 9 are stunning, an angle that captures so much of your garden's beauty!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A 'Tango seedling is a far better surprise, yes indeedy. The variegated one is Agave bracteosa 'Monterrey Frost'.

      Several Aloes here get the pinky blush in cooler weather and then redden up in summer's dry heat. They offer so much interest, and flowers, too.

      Delete
  4. What, I can't believe there were SO many! I'm glad you got to squish the little devils. Your aloes are magnificent. That thraskii! And the white ferox, just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I got them all, but that's just a hope or maybe just a wish.

      Very lucky to be able to grow Aloes here--they are wonderful plants!

      Delete
  5. Oh, sorry to hear about the pest, but it sounds like you have it under control. Your garden looks amazing, as always! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time will tell. I hope so! Happy Holidays, Beth.

      Delete
  6. NOOOOOOO! I'm sorry to hear. Where the heck did it come from???

    I lost my 'Jaws' this summer, too, but in my case it was rot from too much water (leaking irrigation pipe).

    Your aloe photos made up for the bad news :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. :( Somewhere in the neighborhood I guess. I've not bought an Agave in quite a few years and whatever I've gotten as gift or in trade were bare root and healthy. Can only treat and hope.

      Delete
  7. Great catch. Nasty little creatures. Something very satisfying in disposing of them. Too bad about the agave though but as you say there are many other lovely plants performing right now. I went around and painted on a systemic animal deterrent. Alas, missed a small mugho pine that is now nothing more than branches sans needles. Would love to dispose of the culprit the same way as the beetles. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will the pine be able to grow back? They are lovely little trees. Too much of a long dry hot summer here for them.

      Yes it was very satisfying--though I would forgo any future satisfaction gladly if the weevils would never reappear.

      Delete
    2. Hopefully the bud tips were undamaged, but as it's a dwarf shrub it's going to look funny for a long time. Another misfit in my garden of 'critter pruned' shrubs.

      Delete
  8. Damn! I'm so glad you saw it and went after it quickly. My brother in Phoenix lost quite a few agaves to the evil weevil, but once he started treating with the systemic the tide turned. Thank you for showering us to so many stunning aloe photos. I was just thinking I needed to change up my laptop background photo and thought of you... "I wonder if Hoov has posted any new photos I haven't seen yet?" and there they are! Now which one to chose...

    ReplyDelete
  9. We saw a lot of those beetles when we were visiting Las Cruces, NM. They certainly do a lot of damage. I hope that your treatments to prevent the problem elsewhere in the yard are successful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.