Necesary Rest For Healing

 

She's napping.  She's feeling very, very well

Walking into CVS on Tuesday, I tripped, falling onto my hands and knees.  Two hands and one knee were slightly hurt.   The other knee, the already bad one, swelled like a pumpkin and couldn't not take any weight.  Urgent care visit, x rays:  nothing broken.  Whew!  Rest, ice, time, acetaminophen as needed.   It's getting better.  Yesterday I managed to hobble outside briefly to enjoy the garden. 

Hellebores begin:

'Seed Strain Double Pique':

 'Penny's Pink', probably:

 We got rain last weekend and even a little more this week, bringing our seasonal total to 4.47" (113mm).

 Leucadendron 'Blush':

Magnolia stellata 'Royal Star' having its moment.  I would like this moved because it is really interesting only for a month or so a year.  It's still small--I'm wondering if it would survive a transplant.  (Also wonder if I would survive transplanting it.)

Two Leucadendrons purchased last June because they were super healthy and a great price are still in their nursery pots, looking as super healthy as they did last summer.   My experience is that they are good in pots for an extended period of time, if watered regularly. 

Aloe aculeata x cryptopoda needs to be moved.  It's crowded by surrounding plants and is too beautiful not to have a special place to grow big, strong, and ever more beautiful:
I always notice to-do's especially in the moment when I can't do them.  

Aloe striata also is crowded.  It leans away from a happy Leucadendron 'Pom Pom' in search of more light:

Agave 'Sun Glow' preparing to flower.   Hopefully it develops a harvest-able side shoot or two, so it can remain in the garden as a renewed copy of itself after its original life is complete:
 I've not had real success with Sedum morganianum over the years.  A few months ago, looking back at an old SoCal gardening book, I read brief comments about the species:  "Keep moist.".   Ohhhhh.  Duh!  I started watering them generously.  Yep, that did it. 

See all the new growth?  Much better!  Now keeping moist:


More flowers open on the trio of Cybister Hippeastrum bulbs.



That's all I could manage.   It was lovely, lovely to be out there.   Is your garden as healing a place as mine is?  May I assume, "Oh, yes!"?  

Comments

  1. So sorry to hear about your fall and your knee. Rest and relaxation and peaceful moments in the garden hopefully will incur a full recovery. Lovely Hippeastrum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! While I'm glad to hear that Natasha is doing well, I'm so sorry you had a nasty fall. At least there's no lasting damage. I know you're always up to something in your garden so a period of enforced rest is frustrating, even if your garden is a beautiful place to just hang out. Your hellebores and Hippeastrums are stunning. At last check, I saw only a single hellebore bud in my own garden. Meanwhile all my Hippeastrums are working up to blooming (no duds this year!) but even those first out the gate aren't quite there. The warmer stretch through Tuesday may help. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hellebores seem late this year--I'll have look at previous years posts to see if that's really true. No Hippeastrum duds for you this year, good! I don't buy them often, because they multiply so readily--have the same ones every year.

      Delete
  3. I sometimes wonder if I, who have a tendency to trip, would be better off at this later part of life wearing knee pads. I'm sorry this happened to you. Thankfully nothing is broken or torn! Wishing you quick recovery. Hope you are Spic-and-Span before Spring, your garden awaits!

    I'm a big Hellebores fan: can you ID the one in the first photo?

    The two potted Leucadendrons are so gorgeous! Leaves rarely come more black, and that bit of silvery fuzz... I swoon. When will they bloom and in what color?
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen gardening pants with pockets on the knees and the wearer can slip in a mini-knee pad. Maybe I need those, more likely ice hockey goalie padding would be better.

      That Hellebore is "Seed grown strain double picotee" according to the tag. So not one of the fancier TC'd types, but it is quite good all the same.

      Have not had 'Ebony' flower here--I think they would prefer a slightly cooler climate (San Francisco Bay area maybe ideal). They are not so vigorous as other Leucadendrons like 'Safari Sunset'. When the flower, the tips are crimson red--simply breathtaking!!

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear you had a fall. Falls sure hurt more than they used to. Your garden is a healing spot, looking beautiful. Agave 'sun glow' is spectacular. I hope you can get out and enjoy the sun and it completely heals that knee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I think that age will impede being able to recover from this or that injury or issue, so I'm usually pleasantly surprised when things still heal -- helps to have low expectations, I guess! Glad you and Natasha are feeling better. Knees are so damn tricky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Denise. Hope you and family are well. --hb

      Delete
  6. Time to look (and make those endless lists ...) Getting our monster carob trimmed for the neighbour across the wall. That one is definitely beyond both of us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monster Carob--those are nice trees but they do get big. There's one in the neighborhood here. I hope the trim goes well without damage to other plants. That's always a question when the tree trimmers come in.

      Delete
  7. Oh, yes! (In spring, summer, and fall, that is.) Hellebores, Leucadendrons, and Magnolias, oh my! (And everything else!) So stunning--everything! Sorry to hear about your fall, but I'm glad nothing was broken and you're healing well. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear!! I'm happy that nothing is broken, but still. For a gardener, being housebound is hell :-) Here's wishing you the speediest recovery ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing I was out in the garden, but hopefully soon. Wonderful to get some rain in the meantime! --hb

      Delete
  9. Oooh, that is terrible news, hoping recovery is fast. I remember when my sciatica was acting up, that it was so bad I had to crawl on my hands and knees around the garden because I couldn't stand up. I was determined to be out there one way or another and the doctor did say that it was important to keep moving... So, is my garden a healing place? Yes, yes it is. Take care and feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sciatica I have seen a friend with it--it is agony. I hope you don't get too much of it. Yes it sure is important to keep moving--however slowly. Thank you for your kind thoughts.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.