Time for 'Wilson's Wonder's pollen cones to turn black
I've not been gardening due an injured knee (it's improving). Plus, an extended period of rain for the past several days made even going outside difficult. During a few intervals of dryness I managed to get out and briefly look around.
The volunteer Stock seedlings are doing great. Chilly wet weather seems to be to their liking.
Two new Aloe flower stems are emerging.
Aloe petricola, backed by the massive trunk of Aloe 'Hercules':
Not great timing for A. capitata ssp quartziticola. Bees don't come out of their hives in the rain:
Flowers ready to open. Such a cutie, with that tiny top knot:
Managed to get one plant into the ground before the rain: Teucrium aroanium. It replaces part of the space where a Lavender 'Meerloo' thrived for several years.
The one on the left:
The rooted bit of a Rhodanthemum (on the right) moved there a few weeks ago has already grown. They should both be able to expand in opposite directions.
The other gardening effort (such as it is) has been focused on a single Begonia 'Irene Nuss'. Cuttings rooted last May spent the hot summer in irrigated shade. There they stayed, to survive or not. A few days before injuring my knee, I noticed one looking pretty sad.
I was embarrassed. It deserved better. Brought indoors, re-potted, given bright light and fertilizer, it grew two new leaves and sprouted a new basal stem:
It was heartening to do, at least, something.
As of Tuesday evening, our rain year total stood at 9.52"/242mm. The extended storm gave us almost exactly four inches (101mm) of rain. We were lucky--most of the rain was steady, but light to moderate. The garden is rejoicing. Our January was mostly very dry.