A Friend's Orchids/Eriocapitella Gone (Maybe)

 

A very skilled gardener friend invited me to see her orchids.  She has a long narrow space on the north side of her home that has proven to be perfect for Cymbidiums.

The home is on one side, the neighbor's block wall on the other.  The light is bright but always indirect.  The space is basically a concrete walkway but there is sufficient room for orchids to thrive in pots, watered with drip irrigation twice weekly. 



Happy, happy plants, all thriving.
I had some Cymbidiums but never the right place for them.  My friend does.  She also grows an impressive Dudleya.  It's a monster the size of an Agave!

Back at home, the Eriocapitella is out--at least for a while, until it starts to sprout again from whatever roots I missed.  Vigilance required!
I lugged all the potted Dahlias to the area in preparation for planting at least some of them in the empty area.  They are just starting to wake up from their winter dormancy--still a bit too early to put in the ground, but ready to move into sunshine to help them get going. 

We are expecting a good rain Saturday, so as many Southern California gardeners have learned to do, I was frantically emptying all the previously collected rain into the driest parts of the garden to be able to collect more, and planting what I could plant in the ground before rain arrives to soak them in and give them a good start.  I also potted up small plants into larger containers.  

Aloe gariepensis and Salvia 'Marine Blue' got some of the space near the Dasyliron.  There's more space available but I discovered it was full of ants, which need to be addressed before anything else can be planted there.

Euphorbia resinifera purchased mail order June 2023.  Still small, but it's grown.  Intended to be an edging plant for the front bank, if it can handle the intense heat and dry soil: 
Most of the Coleus purchased in a six-pack some weeks ago are planted out.   One cell had three tiny seedlings in it, I gave each of them their own cell, then yesterday potted them up into 4" pots.  In a few weeks they will be large enough to plant out as well.  
I did the same with a six-pack of Marigolds.  I'd planted some straight from six-packs into the ground where they are struggling.   Better results in this garden potted to 4" for a few weeks first.  A lesson learned needed to be relearned!  The coming rain may save the strugglers.
Through all the hurrying, digging, planting, rain-distributing, enjoying the garden's springtime.  

The 'Suffolk Red' table grape cuttings I rooted last year  are sprouting and growing.   What will I do with them?

Alstroemeria carpet has more flowers now.  
The native Lupines are blooming on the west slope:
Iris are one of spring's joys:
Hmm...space there for something...
Flowers on Geum 'Totally Tangerine'.  Will they flower this year longer than just a few weeks? 
Agaves are beautiful in spring, too.  This plain ordinary parrasana is looking fabulous:
I redid this area two years ago and it's filled in well thanks to two wet winters.  Extreme heat and dryness in summer.  Aloe vera, Calylophus 'Southern Belle', volunteer lavender, Agave ovatifolia, Arctotis 'Pink Sugar', volunteer Lotus hirsutus, Lavender 'Meerlo', Lavender 'Silver Anouk', Leucaendron 'Safari Sunset', and Leucospermum 'Scarlet Ribbon':
Leucadendron 'Pom Pom's show is starting.  Note the Aloe seed pods which can be seen against the concrete driveway:
I collected the entire flower stem for the seeds:  It was drying out.  The pods are close to opening.   I want to try growing the seeds, so cut the stem before the rain arrives.  


Speaking of Aloes, time taken to admire the many colors of Aloe speciosa flowers.   This Aloe's bloom doesn't last long in comparison to others, but it is amazing.

So that's what's up here. 

Comments

  1. Your friend's Cymbidiums are gorgeous. I've never managed to get the right setting for them either.

    Congratulations on your removal of the Japanese anemones. Your Alstroemeria "carpet" is fantastic but everything's looking great.

    Like you, I've scrambled to get a lot done in advance of the rain, which is falling steadily here this morning. We've already received nearly an inch since midnight! I haven't considered tackling the dahlias stored in our garage but I expect I'll get to that sometime in April ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right plant, right place... Nearly an inch, great! I think we're only at about .5, but it's all good. I was surprised to see some of the Dahlias waking up. Perhaps this year will be better for Dahlias.

      Delete
  2. Those Cymbidiums are certainly healthy, perhaps the best I've seen. Your friend certainly figured out what they need to thrive. Your A. parrasana photo and the two garden composition photos after that are beautiful. You've certainly got an eye for attractively arranging form and color. Great macro photography on that A. speciosa too. Love the striped green floral tubes with the red anthers popping out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Cymbs look so much happier than mine ever did, Impressive.

      The lighting was just right on the parrasana, bright enough but not harsh.

      Delete
  3. Good morning! It's been a while since I've read my "everyday blogs." I decided I was spending too much time reading and not enough time doing. Since then, I've come back to a few things with renewed energy. It is good to lie fallow for awhile, so I do not begrudge myself the time. Sadly, one of my favorite little worlds has ceased to exist while I was gone. I will miss her, but she needs to do what she needs to do. Your gardens are beautiful, and I continue to admire your skill and abilities, always looking forward to see how things turn out. I loved the picture of B&N in your previous post. It's the fist time I've noticed them getting older. Samoyeds always seem so everlastingly youthful and puckish to me, but in that picture they were regal, content with who they were and wearing it well. Beautiful dogs. "Right plant, right place, right care" -- makes all the difference in the world. Still trying to find that balance myself. Maybe someday I'll actually get there. Rained here all day yesterday; and, so far, has been raining all day today. I'm loving it, though I feel sorry for children who were looking forward to outdoor Easter egg hunts. Still, an indoor hunt was always just as much fun, and I'm not one to say "rain, rain go away" here in SoCal. The reservoirs are not yet full! Good to catch up with you. Happy Easter! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cymbidiums are beautiful. I especially love the shot of your garden with the wall, perfect! I'm checking my speciosa raceme daily, it's a bit behind yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many beautiful things to appreciate in this post. Your neighbour's cymbidiums are gorgeous. I have never had much luck getting them to reflower. I know they need a cooler night temp to trigger their bloom stalks but never seem to remember. The Aloe speciosa flowers are really interesting. Love the green striations in the flower (not sure what part you would call this). Makes the stamens really pop.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.