Front Bank Activity

Showtime for Leucadendron 'Cloudbank Ginny'

Out front admiring 'Ginny', I looked around the rest of the front bank.  Aloe marlothii's flowers are opening quickly and just as quickly being enjoyed by Warblers, Orioles, and Hummingbirds:

I've been pondering the empty area below Dasylirion  longissimum for months.  Prime space--what to fill it with? 
Before any filling, it was long past time to address the small white flowered Aloe ferox in terrible shape to the upper left  of the empty space.  I've been avoiding dealing with it for too long, avoiding the struggle to dig it up.   However, best to do it before planting the empty space,  because if the empty space is filled, it will that much more difficult to deal with the ferox. 

 ferox in terrible shape: 

  I was able to lift ferox right up.  No shovel required.  The root system was completely missing.  There may have been an ant colony under the Aloe that killed the roots. 

 There's enough left alive to re-root, so I'll try to do that.
Not finding any ants--I guess they went elsewhere once there were no Aloe roots left--I replaced the A. ferox to be re-rooted with one of the IKEA Trio--they are either A. ferox or A. marlothii--purchased as three seedlings in a single 2" (5 cm) pot some years ago.  They are each about 20" (50 cm) wide now, heavy enough to have reached the moment to either plant them or give them away.  A little larger, they'll be too heavy to lift.  

I was able to maneuver up the slope doing all this despite my wobbly knee by using the garden fork in the next photo.

The area looks almost flat, but it isn't:

Pushing the fork firmly into the soil with each step created a portable hand rail of sorts for stability.   It worked.

A few months back I'd planted another of the "IKEA Trio" nearby, below the Kumara plicatilis.  It has settled in nicely.  Hopefully the new addition will as well. 

The Kumara is in flower just now:
But after all that, the empty space below Dasylirion longissimum is still empty.  


Does that happen to you too?  You intend to do "A", but find you must first do "B" in order to do "A", but after you do "B" it's getting dark and time to go indoors? 

Comments

  1. Yes, happens almost every time with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yes, all the time I find myself working on something that was definitely not on the "to do" list. But, in this case you were right. That Cloudbank Ginny is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now my entire garden seems to be on the "do" list.

      'Ginny's showtime isn't as extended as many of the other Leucadendrons, but it is extra gorgeous.

      Delete
  3. Does that happen to me? I think that's the very definition of a day spent in the garden! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That happens to me all the time, HB. I'm glad you've found some space for your bargain babies from IKEA. I didn't know ants could cause root damage too - "my" gophers don't need any help in that department!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the ants suck out all the moisture or something like. Gophers far far worse!!

      Delete
  5. If you had any more of the Senecio serpens, that would be a nice blue stage on which the dasylirion could shine and also link up to the other patch. (I bet you're avoiding S. mandraliscae here since it's more aggressive). And I know you don't want anything on the slope like arctoctis that needs deadheading. Maybe one of the silvery pigs ears/cotyledons? The pitchfork support is an excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I far prefer S. serpens but it does not like the front bank--too hot and dry? Tried and failed several times. It likes less challenging parts of the garden. S. mandraliscae is just way too vigorous. Plant Depot had some very attractive Cotyledons last I was there...that's a thought!

      Delete
    2. oops forgot to mention that's mandraliscae in the photos and it is...challenging.

      Delete
  6. Oh fun. I didn't even notice the Aloe ferox until your second photo of it. That's great that you're re-rooting the top part of it for re-planting. The "IKEA Trio" looks happy in its new spot. Great informative post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it will re-root! Happy you liked the post.

      Delete
  7. "Does that happen to you too?" Yes! Every time I'm in the garden :-D
    I think cool and very gratifying to grow a plant (or three) from minuscule to robust enough for garden planting.
    Like Denise, when I saw the blue senecio I thought 'more of that would be lovely'. It is one of my favorite ground covers that I cannot grow.
    Maneuvering with garden fork: brilliant!
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Aloes were easy. I have some minuscule Aloes that are still minuscule 10 years later!

      That blue Senecio has a wonderful color and texture but its vigor creates an alarming amount of green waste unfortunately. The fork--I'm fortunate to have soil I can shove the fork into deeply enough for a steady support.

      Delete
  8. I had a similar experience this month with an Aloe ortholopha. No roots. No signs of ants or anything else. Maybe not enough water?

    I'm glad your white ferox is still alive. Fingers crossed you'll be able to bring it back. It's a cool plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could have been too dry at one point. I have another white ferox that is doing well, but this one is a better looking plant (at least it was when it was healthy). Talk about cool plant, ortholopha!

      Delete
  9. Oh, gosh, I am a distracted mess in the garden. Just as you said, I set out to do A, but then have to do B, which requires me to do C, and maybe D. And then while I am trying to do that, I get distracted by E, F, and G and have lost track of where I laid down my trowel or pruners. Soon, it feels like I've made no progress whatsoever. Sometimes, I just need to sit for a moment and refocus on where my priorities are. Your Kumara photo is beautiful. Glad you found some time for enjoyment amongst all the work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, completely normal gardening! I got a holster for clippers and trained myself to put them back in the holster, not throw them in the green bin or lose them in the compost pile--it has helped!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.