The Price of Rain Is...

 

This year's Hellebore float, one from each plant that is in flower

Hellebores are best admired floating in a shallow dish of water, their growth habit being that their flowers face downwards.  

  There's a reason for this:  in the climates where they evolved, late winters are very rainy.   Flowers face downwards to keep their pollen dry.  One instance of the price of rain.  Another is...

 ...weeds!  Most of the past several days has been occupied with weeding.  It's important for me to pull weeds before they flower and set seed.  That means fewer weeds next year, at least in theory.   

This area looks weedy, but it's one of the areas I weeded.

It desperately needs mulching, too:

What appear to be weeds below and between Narcissus clumps and Yucca 'Bright Star' are seedlings of the native Lupine, L. succulentus.  Not weeds.   Valuable food source for bees of all kinds.   And what appear to be weeds above the Narcissus and 'Bright Star' is the native Epilobium (Zauschneria) canum, common name "California Fuchsia", a valuable source of nectar for bees and hummingbirds.   Not a weed--though weedy looking before and after flowering, and sometimes during.   No matter--food for hummers!

A few more thistles to pull:

Those really spiky thistles come right out of the ground but are painful to grab hold of without good gloves.  The non-spikey thistles are easy to grab hold of, but hard to pull out of the ground.   Weeds.   They know what they're doing. 

Besides weeds, planting what I can and a couple more roses cut back.   The big 'Golden Celebration" rose is the only one left.  I might not get to it, but GC can be cut back hard after the spring flush instead and still have a great year.

This 'Bishops Castle' took several hours.  I didn't get to it last year so it was about 8'x8' and very twiggy.

This is the "after":

We're forecast to get a very strong wind storm tonight with gusts 60-70mph so I was rushing to get purchases into the ground.  Powerful winds are very damaging to small young plants--some times even blown away, never to be found.

Yes, a few purchases over the weekend, mostly annual Marigolds, like those that that did so well last year:

While I shopped Beloved got some excellent photos of the garden center we visited.   Their stock was wonderful--fresh and beautifully healthy and vigorous.

These two looked a bit ticked off:
Blogger in habitat:
Even the hills were green:
Planted what I could before the wind roars in.  Dahlia tubers of 'Eveline':

 Most of the Marigolds and the TJ's Hellebores planted, and one Hellebore moved because it spent last year in darkness, covered up by one of the Hydrangeas.  I moved it forward a couple of feet--that might be enough.  It was really floppy perhaps because it spent all summer in the dark.  
Garden is kicking into growth gear.  Bulbs...

Leucandendron 'Cloudbank Ginny's moment arriving:
And the roses look great.  Several soakings in February made them very very happy:
Where roses were concerned, the price of rain seemed very reasonable.

Comments

  1. Your hellebores look great! And so does 'Cloudbank Ginny'. I planted mine in a sub-optimal spot that requires me to cut it back too often - mine doesn't have a chance of putting on a display like yours unless I can find somewhere else to move it. Best wishes with the weeding! I'm not sure I'll ever be done with mine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellebores give so much for very little effort.

      'Ginny' was such a disappointment the first two years. Then it "leaped" and---WOW! Mine needs cutting back this year after bloom--Leucadendrons appear to really benefit from pruning.

      Here most of the weeds are on two slopes difficult to access and to mulch.

      Stuck inside today--we've got very strong Santa Ana winds whipping everything around. Could not even walk the dogs.

      Delete
  2. I love your Hellebore collection, it is larger than I imagined. I should make a bowl display like that too. It's a wonderful and satisfying way to display the varied blooms.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's larger than I imagined, too. How'd that happen?!?! 😜

      Delete
  3. Your hellebore float: spectacular! I wish I had that many varieties in my garden. Every year, I mean to add more, but the fancier hellebores are sooooo pricey (I assume because they're patented).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TJ's had some for $10.99!

      They are fairly slow growing, so that increases the price. T = $

      Delete
  4. Oh, fun--new Dahlias! I need to get some, too. Also, I'm planning to do a Hellebore float soon, as well. I don't have as many varieties, but they do look lovely arranged that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to try that 'Eveline' Dahlia for several years--this is the first time I found them for sale. Hopefully it will like it here.

      The "floats" are a special way to celebrate that genus. It's something all their own. :)

      Delete
  5. Weeds was definitely the first thing I thought of with the title of your post. Weeds indeed! I need to get out there and start on that, as well as pruning the apples before they start budding out. I love seeing California hills when they are green. Spring is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, weeds. Would rather have weeds than drought, though. I too love seeing the hills when they are green--it's not for long but it is lovely. Have fun with the apple pruning! Another way to celebrate Spring.

      Delete
  6. Your hellebore float is very pretty! The weeds, this year I'm really dealing with mostly grass coming up everywhere. I hope your wind has lightened up so you can enjoy the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grass--yes. A couple of very weedy ones come up here and grow so very fast they can set seed in what seems like a week. Grrrr! Good luck with yours! We're getting clouds here still--but warm weather forecast for the start of the week.

      Delete
  7. Dry pollen - oh - but I so enjoy those floating faces!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.