Sometimes The Plants Decide?

 

'Molineux'

Three--no, four--of the best performing roses in the garden, 'Molineux', 'Golden Celebration', 'The Poet's Wife', and 'Julia Child', are yellow.  

'Golden Celebration':

 'The Poet's Wife':

'Julia Child':

Then there's a stellar performing southwestern native that handles zero soil moisture and reflected heat with no trouble, Calylophus, also yellow: 
Must not forget the Itoh Peony:

Nor the Mexican Tulip Poppy, Hunnemmania:

And Leucospermum 'Yellow Bird' was a big splash of yellow on the front slope for over a decade.  Now a seedling of  'Yellow Bird' has taken over out front:

A softer yellow in Leucadendron 'Pom Pom' and Leucadendron 'Cloudbank Ginny', also out front, but...still yellow.

 Lots and of yellow in this garden.  And it so happens my very very least favorite flower color is, yes, yellow.  

However, the health and beauty of those yellows and their value to nectar-feeders is such that I yield to their choice of gardens.  Sometimes the plants get to decide.

And...yellow sure looks good with purple.

Unlike yellow, I love red flowers, but red seems most effective in the garden as either an accent, to draw and focus the eye, or as part of a "hot" border.  Giant blobs of it--have a certain melancholy.

We'll call 'Beloved' rose an accent.  It certainly draws my eye:

But back to giant blobs of red.  Because of a second abundant rainfall year in a row, the Callistemons in the garden are weighed down by masses of flowers.  It's a whole lot of red that is neither accent nor part of an ensemble of warm colors. 

The one that shades Acer 'Emperor I':

The one by the back gate:

 The ones screening out the house in the back:

The one down in the gully.  Holy Moly!

The Callistemon flowers feed so many birds and bees.  Most any plant that does that is a keeper.   Melancholic or not. 

Acer 'Oshio Bene' feeds few garden residents, but oh, what it does for the eyes!  Luckily its red and the adjacent Callistemon's red are almost identical.  A blue-red with an orange-red is a painful sight.  

Not painful:

The Acer took a hit to its health during the long drought.  It looked pretty bad last year, even with the massive amount of rain we got last winter.   I was worried it would not leaf out at all.  But it did.

When light shines through the leaves, not melancholic at all:

Whew.  I'm glad it decided to stay.  

Do you have the feeling about certain plants, that they chose your garden, and that you didn't have as much to do with it as you think?    

Comments

  1. I used to think I didn't like yellow flowers but then, when blooms come, I'm so happy! Fine-tuning my opinionated self, I'd say that yellow is wonderful in Seattle's overcast Spring sky. In the dog days of summer maybe less so but in the end, a happy plant makes a happy gardener (me!) no matter when.
    Your yellows are fabulous, all of them, and those Callistemon: Goodness, so many blooms! Spectacular sight. (And then you get all those fun seed pods too).
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed no better color on a gray day, but here not that many gray ones. And exactly: happy plant, happy gardener. :)

      Delete
  2. I just got Julia Child. I've always heard how great it is and I'm excited about it. Your bottlebrush is amazing. After 5 years, I think mine died after our brutal cold spell last January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outstanding rose, 'Julia'. Highly recommend. I hope it does great for you!

      Delete
  3. This made me laugh, I love yellow. And my yellow roses are the worst performers of all! Yours are perfection, of course. I fed mine yesterday to see if I could give them a boost. The Callistemon are completely overloaded with blooms! They look fantastic. I can be honest with myself that I haven't planned as much as I should, I'm just the enthusiastic hole digger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garden looks wonderfully planned, so maybe digging holes with enthusiasm works just as well!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the red callistemon photos, I am still mourning the loss of my three very established plants thanks to our historic storm. They'd been very happy here, one of them for 15 years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tough to lose them after so long. :( The Acer in the post was planted in 2000--would be sad to lose it. Callistemon were ultra common here for decades, then falling out of favor, somewhat revived by the long drought and new selections like 'Little John'. My Mom & Dad had one so I grew up with them. Their toughness (heat toughness) and the number of birds they attract makes them valuable here.

      Delete
  5. Well, since you asked, I was just thinking yesterday how red is not something I want to include in a garden very much -- but yellow! I go big on yellow, yellow-green, etc. In fact I'm growing a yellow-flowered callistemon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yellow flowered Callistemon, noooo, not more yellow! ;^) K. down the road has a very attractive pink-flowered one, decades old and quite picturesque at this point.

      Delete
  6. Your garden looks spectacular, HB! I love yellow but I have rather too much of it in my back garden at the moment - and Achillea 'Moonshine' is still gearing up to bloom. I also planted another 'Golden Celebration' rose back there in the fall but it arrived in a 4-inch container and it's still dinky. I need more blue/purple and white there but, as you said, the garden is the ultimate arbiter of what thrives. The dwarf Jacaranda could help with the balance but it's still a reluctant bloomer. I'm trying to practice patience...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided the garden was using yellow to balance out all the purples and blue-purples I have--so maybe the garden is deciding even more than I think!

      I hope GC does well for you. Such a beauty.

      Delete
  7. I love yellow flowers, but I love all colors. And, of course, I LOVE Roses. Your post had me smiling all the way through my visit. Gorgeous captures! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you LOVE roses too. A sometimes prickly job, but somebody's gotta do it. :)

      Delete
  8. I love your yellows! And I need some Calylophus--beautiful! Like you, I'm not usually attracted to yellow in the garden, but the chief wildflower here is brittlebrush (Encelia farinosa), with its brilliant yellow daisies. It had chosen the garden before I even moved in, and, yes, I'm encouraging more of it. It's a wonderful garden plant here. I'm trying to add orange to help them blend with my favorite red flowers... definitely a work in progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calylophus is incredibly tough and flowers like that from now until October...highly recommend it for hot sunny spots. Here we have Encelia californica scattered on the hills and in the local wilderness park. Fine plant.

      Delete
  9. I love this post sorted by color. Great idea. Calylophus is bullet-proof here in the Sacramento Valley.

    I agree what you said, plants choosing our garden - or more specifically, certain spots in our garden. Case in point in my garden: I'm not sure I ever planted Hunnemannia fumariifolia, but it's appeared in various spots. Right now, it's in a walkway, but I'm letting it be because it's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just sort of happened when looking at all the yellow out there. It's not that I don't like yellow--I chose the plants for other reasons besides their flower color--and so many turned out to be yellow. And masses of red seems not as effective as touches of it--but the birds and insects that love the Callistemon--how can I not provide them with a plant so beneficial?

      Delete
  10. I'm a huge fan of certain yellows, particularly "moonlight" yellow that holds the light so well into dusk. And you're right about purple with it: ZING! This past week has been the peak for that effect here -- peonies 'Lemon Chiffon', 'Claire de Lune', and 'Prairie Moonlight' with the earliest dark purple Siberian iris. Makes me willing to keep going despite how fast the garden is getting ahead of me. (Like you, I'm temporarily disabled; spring is the roughest season here to be slowed down, but oh well.) The same zing is available at the height of summer with pale yellow daylilies and Salvia 'Amistad', but I'm reluctant to get too attached to plants that have to be re-acquired every year. Nell L., z6b/7a Virginia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took me a while to pay enough attention to yellow to focus on soft delicate yellow vs. chrome vs. greenish vs. golden. Perhaps the plants decided I needed to appreciate nuance. Salvia 'Amistad' such glorious purple, but it's a rampant thug here 12 months a year. Trying to decide if that is bad or not. Hummers sure like it.

      Delete
  11. I used to think that I liked or didn't like certain colors or types of plants, but then my mind would change over time, or I would find an exception, or that I had somehow contradicted my self-defining statement elsewhere in the garden. I've decided to just accept the fact that I like what I like in the moment and that I can change my mind at any time. Example - for decades I thought that white bleeding hearts were stupid and pointless...well, guess who bought one last year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. We gardeners like what we like when we like it! I used to loathe Agapanthus. Used to.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.