Quiet Holiday Weekend

 

Context for Alstroemeria 'Indian Summer' color clash
 
A quiet holiday weekend at home.  Most of the rest of the neighborhood seems to be gone somewhere (yay!), making it a great time to garden.  
 
I've planted some small plants.  Was excited to find a chartreuse version of Teucrium chamaedrys:  'Summer Sunshine':
The regular dark green version has proven excellent here in hot dry conditions.  

Got some of these planted.  Some potted on from sixpacks (Coleus), some divisions, some rooted cuttings. It's important to get them into the soil before summer heat arrives in late June or early July.
Got some seeds going.  An old package of Cosmos seeds yielded four seedlin.gs.  A new package of Cosmos seeds after just three days has multiple seedlings emerging.  And Marigold seedlings.  The six packs I bought a couple of months ago just didn't want to grow.  There are two survivors out front.  It happens.

That's about it for garden activity.  I was able to deadhead, cut down the drying "Dutch" Iris foliage, and trim back the 'Cara Cara' orange tree enough to make the path adjacent to it passable again.  
 
I'll end this post with flower pictures. 
 
Hemerocallis 'Butterscotch Ruffles:
This Zantedeschia I got at a plant swap last June.  It was one of those little plants sold at Trader' Joes as small gifts or kitchen window-sill brighteners.  It was bedraggled and dry and going dormant (not dying) when I got it.  I left it in damp shade for nearly a year--now it has awakened.  Its roots have grown out of the pot and into the soil.  Hoping for a flower.  I'm not what you'd call a plant rescuer, but it's nice to see something that would have ended up in the trash not end up in the trash and live to grow again.
Cuphea with a purple Savia. 
Planted a 'Mystic Spires Blue' Salvia adjacent to them.  No shortage of hummer food in this garden.
A white TB Iris:
'Perle d'Azur' Clematis
Lovely white and pale lavender colors to this Foxglove:
Entry garden flowers:
The other side of the path:
PAOK--'Princesse Alexandra Of Kent':
Dahlia flower buds already!
'Burgundy Iceberg' is now established enough to sustain a burgundy color, instead of fading instantly to pink:
I hope you're having a lovely weekend. 
 

Comments

  1. And here I was counting myself lucky that my dahlia tubers (or at least 16 of them) have sprouted! It's going to be months before I see buds. It's been relatively quiet here too, with the exception of some fools who think Memorial Day weekend is a good time to start with the blankety-blank fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was real surprised to see buds. The Dahlias seemed to really like being out of the pots and in the ground. Ahead of last year, for sure.

      Stupid fireworks--they are not quite so bad here as in LA County. Sorry to hear they've started already. :(

      Delete
  2. The foxglove is lovely. Although most of my dahlias aren't budding yet - I can't believe how much stronger they are coming on this year compared to last. They took the last year off, that's for sure! Butterscotch ruffles is so creamy, I love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here too the Dahlias are doing better at the moment than they were last year at this time. Dahlias make summer bearable--we need them!

      Delete
  3. I bought one of those Zantedeschias at TJ's last year: I fell hard for the saturated orange blooms. Needless to say it melted over last winter in Seattle (though the white ones I grow are unfazed). I'm lookin forward to seeing your revived calla lily in bloom.
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a couple weeks ago nothing was appearing from the Calla--was ready to throw it out. The leaves emerging were a nice surprise. Hopefully a flower-no idea what color it will be!

      I would guess the colorful hybrids are more sensitive than the white-flowered species.

      Delete
  4. Similar plantings and bloomings going on around here. Your 'Burgundy Iceberg' and 'Princess Alexandra...' have me swooning. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many flowers!! That's one reason why I love your garden so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my reason! I'm getting to like foliage too.

      Delete
  6. Looks like a long mild spring so far, the best kind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, so lovely they never seem to last long enough!

      Delete
  7. I did a last dash of seed planting myself - marigolds, squash, basil...all the summer heat loving plants that I almost forgot in the dash of spring weeding. Dumped a whole bunch of old seed packets with various salad greens into a large pot as well. We'll see what germinates. Felt good to clean the old stuff out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes might as well try with old seeds. If even a few sprout, its a win. Basil yum....pesto! Homemade is the best!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.