What's June Doing?

Clematis 'Perle d'Azur'

June-Gloom weather has fortunately followed May-Gray, so both the gardener and the garden are enjoying the moment.  Half the day overcast means a high temperature in the low 70'sF instead of the low 80's. 
 
The start of June here means the end of spring's Sweet Peas.  Chop chop chop:
Lesson (hopefully) learned:  don't plant them so close together.  They overcrowded each other. 
There were three Dahlias sprouting underneath the sweet pea jungle, and an Aloe that needs rehab: 

I've chopped the sweet pea plants into the smallest pieces possible with hedge clippers to use as mulch or to go into the compost.

No landfill for you!

Other activity:  nurturing the Cosmos and Marigold seedlings along to plantable size:
Bigger already:

Seed growing has become easier via--suprise!--practice.   

I ended up with 18 Marigold seedlings and 60(!) Cosmos seedlings.  Skipping Zinnias this year--instead a Marigold or Cosmos plant in every empty sunny spot.  Will the Cosmos be as joyful the Zinnias were last year?   We'll see. 

First Cosmos flowers:


One new thing I need to learn is grape vine management.  The small cutting of 'Suffolk Red' seedless table grape I stuck on a whim near 'Perle d'Azur' Clematis in the early winter of 2022-23 has grown faster than expected.  Pre-knee surgery early this spring I thought to pot up the little 12"/30cm tall plant and give it away, but didn't get to it.  

Not 12" tall in June:

I couldn't get control of the original vine in the rodent-free cage in time, either. 

Baby grapes available for raiding:

Why did all the bunches appear outside of the cage?

We're going to need a bigger cage:

It's okay.  It's a learning experience.  At least the Clematis doesn't seem to mind the cutting-grown grape.  Yet. 

Lot and lots of flowers to enjoy during these mild days.

 
Lavender 'Provence' preparing for its early summer bloom:

'Queen of Elegance':

'Apricot Cream':
Agapanthus 'Atomic Bloom' is claimed to rebloom later in the summer.   We'll see:
Leucadendron 'Ebony' is happier in a pot than it ever was in the ground.  I've killed several planted ones.
Clematis--either 'Niobe', 'Ernest Markham' or 'Bourbon'
The delicate pastels of 'Endless Summer' Hydrangea are more spring than summery, but make me sigh anyway:
Must be careful not to let the Foxgloves reseed.
'Munstead Wood'.  The fragrance is as delicious as the color:
There's the "rescued" Zantedeschia--a flower!
Under the growing Oak, but the area still gets plenty of afternoon sun:
First Dahlia!  Bought last year and it never flowered:
There's a female Oriole on the 3rd flower cluster from the bottom, left side.  Two males were battling over the flowers and flew off.  The female zipped it for sips of nectar:
Peak of perfection for Trachelospermum jasminoides:
'Prunetucky Summer' flowers have been long lasting because of the mild weather:
Peak Leucanthemum, too:
'The Prince' with another Foxglove that must not go to seed:

The buds of Agapanthus are charming gnome-hats:

From chartreuse to the palest pale blue...
June's doings.  It's a wonder I can get anything done--so many delightful distractions.  What garden delights are distracting you today?  What's June done?

Comments

  1. I love your Clematis and your gorgeous roses, especial 'Apricot Cream'. Your Hydrangeas make me want to try growing one again, maybe in a large pot. Congratulations on your success with the seeds! I just direct sowed Zinnia seeds after planting out my sprouted dahlias, a late start but then it hasn't really been all that warm here yet. The lily stalks all seem to be up but I think they're stubbornly awaiting more sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year I direct sowed some Zinnias and some in six-packs and something ate all the direct-sowed seedlings. Grr.

      Hydrangeas give so much for so little effort. Sure they are "old lady flowers"--they demonstrate the wisdom of old ladies!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I started deadheading perennials yesterday, and I think I was a bit late on a couple of those foxgloves Oops! Love the hydrangea, which would be burned & charred here. The orioles are so cute to watch, we only get them here for a few weeks, if we're lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The orioles are here for months and spend a lot of time drinking the nectar from the various Grevilleas, Aloes, and Agaves. Happy to have planted flowers they love.

      The hydrangeas take up a lot of space, but they give so much for so little effort. Well established and on the north side of the wall, they don't demand that much water.

      Delete
  3. When I saw the title of this post, I knew you'd talk about June Gloom. I'd love some of that so much. We'll be in the mid-90s today, crossing the 100 mark tomorrow. The plants aren't happy, but they're still happier than the gardener!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May-Gray and June-Gloom make the summer 2 months shorter than it otherwise would be--heaven! Sorry to hear NorCal is already heating up.

      Delete
  4. All those beautiful plants and blooms you showed in the wide shots--lovely! I enjoyed your thoughts and photos of the Sweet Peas, and as you say they're great for compost when it's their time. I mean, every plant and photo is gorgeous. June is stunning in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June has been wonderful, a thrill. So happy to see the plants so happy, you know?

      Delete
  5. I just bought one of those wine-red clematis...(I'll have to check on the name), the color of those blooms knocked my socks off!
    I guess I'm in a mood for red: I find your 'Munstead Wood' rose so enchanting... being fragrant makes it a perfect rose.

    I've had Foxglove in my garden for many years: its elegant flower spires add much beauty and are a magnet for bees. I love this common garden plant despite being a prolific re-seeder and a VERY successful germinator. Seedlings are so easy to pick off I let a few go to seed.
    I remember when you sowed your foxglove... are you happy with the turn out?
    Chavli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foxglove have been really fun. I've enjoyed them quite a lot and they were very easy. I have spots picked out for some next year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.