2024 Garden Fling: Froggsong

 

Fabulous Lilies


Another beautiful Puget Sound area garden.  I regret my photos can't do it justice.  Our visit coincided with the hottest, brightest part of the hottest day of the Fling.

As with a few fabulous gardens, Froggsong has become an "event space" for weddings and the like, mostly to help the creators with the water bill, plant purchases, and maintenance, but also to share the wonder of a fabulous garden.

The plants, lovely.  The light, harsh. 

I visited and photographed only a small area of what is an extensive garden.  It was our lunch site that day, offering a comfortable, well-shaded, beauty-surrounded  place to sit and truly relax.  Lingering, enjoying the food and Flingers conversations seemed so right.  Suddenly, there was just 20 minutes left for a vast garden.  Uh-oh. 

Something in the Hydrangea paniculata line:

Hurry.  The tour bus awaits.  This next plant is Actaea (Cimicifuga).  I saw it in several gardens during the fling and loved the textured, purple-black foliage.  

 Grrr, the lighting!  Stopping down wasn't all that effective and time was short.

Another fabulous Lily:
  So much beauty, too little time.   
Now what was this? 
Another fabulous lily.  Hurry!  Hurry! Only a few minutes left!
I like people in my garden pictures for scale:  a person admiring the scenery always works.   

A photo admiring the scene of a person admiring the scenery:

Here's Geum 'Totally Tangerine', blooming away.  Mine bloomed a little better this year, but nothing like this one:
Running out of time.  Yep, another fabulous lily:
And this is...something I've not seen growing in Southern California:  Veronica?
There it is in context, with another fabulous lily  I like grass paths but not so much I need them in my garden.  Wrong climate. 
Here it is in a different location...or is it something else?

 Garden variety (literally) Rudbeckias, but they seemed at the time to resemble a dozen Gene Kellys swinging themselves around the lamp post in 'Singing in the Rain'.  It was a hot day.

This...the one thing that bugged me.  Reddish Cercis leaves are way cool, but paired with the hydrangea--for my particular brain, a clash.  Individually delicious, but not together. 

 Here it is from the other direction:

In autumn when both the Cercis and the Hydrangea foliage turns fabulous gold or orange or red--they will make a wonderful pair. 

More serene--moss-textured tree limbs and snowy Hydrangea flowers with inky stems.  (Is there time left?)

Like I said, humans in the garden photo give you a sense of the scale of it:
See?  All kinds of plants, vistas, vignettes to admire--no wonder I missed so much else of this garden:
Sanguisorba there on the left, the flowers that look like lavender squirrel tails.  Another plant I don't see in my area, so naturally I'm fascinated.  It's easy to be taken, fascinated by an unknown plant.  Usually if you know them you know the annoying things they do, not just their beauty.  Complete unfamiliarity is so often captivation.

 And of course a fabulous lily here and there:

 
Out of time.   
The last shot as I hobbled back to the tour bus:
 Wish I'd seen more, and gotten better photos.    But I saw enough to leave it linger in memory. 

Comments

  1. Yes, the light was particularly difficult at Froggsong. And even though I inhaled my lunch there, and left a good bit of it behind, there was still at least half the garden I missed - you caught a LOT in 20 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was so much not only to see but to admire as well.

      Delete
  2. I really got a reminder of the ticking clock with this post! :) Like you, I fear there's much of this fabulous garden I didn't see, but I'm happy to have seen what I could. I spent most of my time by the variegated dogwood and pond. I think your photos are lovely in spite of the noonday light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's it: happy to have seen what we could. :)

      The clock ticked a lot this Fling. I could have spent more time in almost all of the gardens.

      Delete
  3. I took about a million Lily photos in this garden. None are good-so bright ! I need to get a circular polarizer for the camera I was using on this trip. I think it would have helped a little. Your What is it Photo (number 9) I think is Rodgersia if the leaf in the distance is from the same plant. I tried to grow this here just a few years after moving to Napa and it became clear that I didn't have the right spot or the right climate. I would try it again if I had a good shade garden. Love the foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next couple of days with the thin overcast were great. Cooler, too. Should have played with stopping down more but the clock was swiftly ticking.

      Rogersia, that sounds right. The foliage was really pretty too. The google says wants shade and boggy soil, so no wonder I've never seen it around here.

      Delete
  4. I agree with Pam, your photos are still quite good given the harsh light! I've always wanted to try a hanging pot with Sanguisorba. We definitely needed more time here and everywhere. The lilies were fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a tiny dwarf Sanguisorba in...Heronswood I think. That would have been good to examine up close. Yeah, those lilies---sigh!

      Yes more time!

      Delete
  5. Sounds and looks like a great place for a lunch gathering, and I think your photos are amazing! The human shots are nice, and your close-ups are lovely. Sorry I missed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As wonderful as all the other Flings were, the gardens at this one were almost all spectacular. Wish you had been able to go.

      Delete
  6. Gosh I was getting so anxious reading this post, would you make it back to the bus or not? It's always a juggling act with the Fling gardens. How many to include, how long is too long (I remember people complaining about too much time in my garden... but with the bus shuffle timing was what it was), what is long enough? I admit I am starting to wonder if less isn't more. Seeing fewer gardens but having more time in them. (and I thought your photos were great!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough to schedule the gardens to the satisfaction of all. Some people are happy racing through a garden, some want to linger. Dealing with a ferry already full with no room for a bus so causing a wait for the next one, with unexpected traffic delays or sunday school buses sitting not moving in the road the tour needs to go down. The organizers did a great job despite all.

      I will say I could have easily spent one entire day at Heronswood.

      Delete
  7. And yet, to my eyes, I sort of liked the red Cercis leaves with the blue hydrangea. I thought it was one of the more innovative uses of color I saw on a tour. The nice thing, though, is that there was plenty of variety on the tour - a veritable smorgasbord of planty delights. So if we didn't resonate with one thing, there was something else better suited for our individual palate. I appreciated the Gene Kelly reference with the rudbeckia - I see them now! In gardens, I think I tend towards the linger longer type, but I certainly appreciate the incredible variety of gardens we got to see on the Fling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe because some of the hydrangea flowers were pink, and a cool pink---against the red it didn't feel right. Striking, though, and stopped and made me look for quite a time.

      Yes, all-you-can-admire-buffet of planty delights!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Always interested in your thoughts.

Any comments containing a link to a commercial site with the intent to promote that site will be deleted. Thank you for your understanding on this matter.